Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
And to me, at leat IMO the most shocking.
Me too. I tried to watch it and just got totally freaked out by the rats. It was just WAY too much for me. I still have it saved on my DVR if I can get up the courage to watch it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,033 times
Quote:
Here's a thought - wouldn't it be better, instead of keeping the hoarder hanging around, to send him or her off to a spa or something for a makeover, while the crew cleans the house? Things would get done so much faster and without the drama and hassles. But then ... I guess we wouldn't have a show to keep us entertained and I wouldn't be in "shock and awe" anymore!

Absolutely not. They should be there assisting and pitching in. However, no matter how deplorable or disgusting the place is, it's still their dwelling and they do have a right to be present. They should also have input into how the items will be disposed of and/or donated. Yes, it is frustrating to see someone go through each and every single little item, but they should be at the cleanup.

Even if you sent the hoarder away, who's to say that they won't revert back to the same behavior, even worse? I've learned by watching this show that it's SO much more than simply "throwing stuff out". It's all futile if there is no counseling, therapy and follow up treatment. Then again, it's up to the hoarder to accept those remedies as well.

I would really be upset if I were gone and a bunch of strangers went through and disposed of my personal property without me being there. it's degrading and disrespectful. No matter how bad the home is, the hoarder still deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. Just my .02.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,799,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Me too. I tried to watch it and just got totally freaked out by the rats. It was just WAY too much for me. I still have it saved on my DVR if I can get up the courage to watch it!
OMGosh with the rat guy. I was freaked out as well. He throw the food down and the rats hoarded around him. It was absolutely gross to me. It was like a car wreck. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. Those rats were everywhere. He said, he couldn't sleep in the house, because the rats would use his hair as bedding. Yuck.

The Doc said, are they friendly rats. In my mind, lady what's a friendly rat.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
OMGosh with the rat guy. I was freaked out as well. He throw the food down and the rats hoarded around him. It was absolutely gross to me. It was like a car wreck. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. Those rats were everywhere. He said, he couldn't sleep in the house, because the rats would use his hair as bedding. Yuck.

The Doc said, are they friendly rats. In my mind, lady what's a friendly rat.
It was really sad to see him break down and cry over the death of one of his rats. I realize he had the rats to fill a very empty void in his life, but I couldn't even finish watching this particualr episode.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Anyone else feel sorry for the elderly dad who has to spend his retirement years with the unending worry about a house that is virtually uninhabitable? His idiot daughter hasn't held a job in years....just who is making those house payments? Yet she kept calling it 'her house' and was angry that anyone would try to tell her how to live in it. What an entitled loser.
I do wonder how she got around the fire marshall --- didn't the fire department call the house a fire hazard? I'm surprised that it wasn't condemned on that alone.
The house is paid for, free and clear. He mentioned in the episode that he made all the payments and that he now owns the house outright. That's why it sucks so badly that the house is uninsurable. If it catches fire or is otherwise destroyed, dad is out his entire investment! He needs to kick that crackpot loser daughter of his to the curb - and fast!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
What I would do to have a fully paid for home. That daughter does not know how lucky she it.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,207 times
I have a somewhat twisted interest in this show, its one that you can hardly stop watching with how messed up some of these people are. The rat guys episode re-runs at 5...sounds like its one messed up episode!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
I have a somewhat twisted interest in this show, its one that you can hardly stop watching with how messed up some of these people are. The rat guys episode re-runs at 5...sounds like its one messed up episode!
It is, but it's not as bad as the Hanna/Gary episode. If you get a chance, you should watch that episode - that one is the mother of all Hoarders episodes!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It is, but it's not as bad as the Hanna/Gary episode. If you get a chance, you should watch that episode - that one is the mother of all Hoarders episodes!!!
Oh yea, that was a bad one, you're not kidding, that was the mother of all!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
I felt really bad for the man with the rats, he could use a few good hugs and maybe a new wife once he deals with his grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV