Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM

282 posts, read 526,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Do you know what happens to the few shows that are well written, have interesting concepts, has an acutal storyline, and/or make you think? They get cancelled. Some get completely overhauled. I'd like to use Boomtown as an example of an overhaul. In the first few episodes (maybe the season, I forget), the story was told out of order. At the end, everything came together and you understood how the first scene was really the last. People complained the format was too confusing, so by the next season, the whole show was just formulaic. There have been other fantasy, sci-fi, and quirky shows in the last 5 years that are lucky if they make it a whole season. What people seem to want are shows that make them laugh, make them feel like they're better than some of the losers on reality tv, or just be plain entertained. How else can you explain the phenomenon that is/was HEROES?

Network tv is abyssmal. Every season, I have hopes for some of the new shows. I suspect the handful of shows I'm interested in will be cancelled midseason.

Now cable shows are where the good tv is. HBO has some really great programming, and Showtime seems to be trying to follow. The History Channel has become one of my favorites too.
Have you been watching Hung?? Love that show, it is pretty funny....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I personally do not consider myself a tool, and I can watch a mindless tv show and not think it is the end all be all of tv
There was a similar thread not long ago:

Am I The Only One Without A TV?

I believe the consensus was that as long as you balance out your mindless TV with a little Kafka or Dostoevsky your braincells are safe.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
I agree with most of what has been said on both sides in that MOST of TV is abysmally idiotic. But as mentioned here as well, there ARE shows like Mad Men that make up for it (Hell, even Malcolm in teh Middle was funny in its own way the first few seasons... And the Dad was Breaking Bad!!!!).

But also, as mentioned here, most of the space available is dead. You surf all over several hundred channels and all you find are things like Deadly catch (sorry, I really do not like the idea of fishing for crabs at the cost of human life. I am REALLY turned off to this food now).

But at least THAT is different... or was.

Most of what is on plays it safe. At least we are not plagued by the Sitcom laugh track that poisoned greats like MASH, WKRP and hell, Benson!!!!

I think the BIGGEST problem I have is when networks compete over the same target market. So if you have a particular taste in comedy, they will put 30 rock on right opposite The Office (or something similar). You are forced to record or choose.

I DON'T WANT TO CHOOSE!!!! I want a few shows I like to watch on every night, not all on Thursday!!!! So what if I go AMC, CBS, TNT, NBC.... >sigh<

Well whatever. They are all in it for the same thing and we, the people, have told them (for now) what they can produce the most easily, the least expensiely, and get the most general viewers that will BUY Taco Bell and Fabreeze!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:16 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
From what I have read here, a lot of the posters are the very ones that the current shows are aimed at.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Junk food TV. Some people eat it up, because their minds are powered down.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Junk food TV. Some people eat it up, because their minds are powered down.
I have a stressful job during the day. I don't want to always come home to some educational show, I enjoy not having to pay attention to every moment and still have a laugh or 2 and relax, so yeah I guess I downshift my mind after work, but thats my stress relief!! I also enjoy Jeopardy and some of the crime shows. Not completely mindless lol

Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
I have tried to like 2½ men.

Really.

After about 8 minutes I hate the kid, hate the father, and think Charlie is a figment of their imagination....

Like "family style" fight club......sorta........maybe not.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
Quote:
Shows like Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, Firefly and others get shoved to the side because their devoted fanbase is just too small to sell BK Broilers or Fabreeze.
you bring up a great point! I am not a huge TV person... but I did really like Arrested Development.... and it got canceled (or not picked up or whatever the case may be) !! With all the other CR*P on TV... how is this not more appreciated?? !!

I am completely BAFFLED by the popularity of American Idol, America's Got Talent & Dancing shows...

Old 09-11-2009, 11:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
I have a $2,700 HDTV and find myself watching black and white movies on TCM and black and white reruns of shows from the 1950s

Old 09-12-2009, 01:00 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Can we all just agree that anything on an MTV station and the four major networks blow major chunks? I can't remember the last time I have watched anything on any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV