Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times

Advertisements

my Uncle was in the Phillipines. he was one of the first into Cabanatuan Prison Cap....he had a Japanese flag that had flown over the camp.....on the 50th anniversery of the end of the war, he raised the flag to the top of the flagpole...saluted it...lowered it...pee'd on it and burned it.....he was NOT a fan of Japanese people....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
my Uncle was in the Phillipines. he was one of the first into Cabanatuan Prison Cap....he had a Japanese flag that had flown over the camp.....on the 50th anniversery of the end of the war, he raised the flag to the top of the flagpole...saluted it...lowered it...pee'd on it and burned it.....he was NOT a fan of Japanese people....
Sounds like my late father-in-law. He was watching a War at World show on TV one time and the topic was the war in the Pacific where he served.
As the Japanese would take one Island after another, the program would cut to a group of Japanese yelling Banzai! Banzai! Banzai! He'd sit and yell at the TV: Banzai to you, you Japanese sonsofbitches!

When I married his daughter, I sold my Toyota.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sounds like my late father-in-law. He was watching a War at World show on TV one time and the topic was the war in the Pacific where he served.
As the Japanese would take one Island after another, the program would cut to a group of Japanese yelling Banzai! Banzai! Banzai! He'd sit and yell at the TV: Banzai to you, you Japanese sonsofbitches!
Sounds like my father

Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

I worked with a guy who was so sweet and kind we called him Santa Claus - he was chubby with white hair and a fairly long beard. One day the subject of the Japanese came up in the office, and suddenly I heard the foulest swearing and invective ever coming from his desk. It ended with @#$$&#**' Japs! I never knew he had even served in the Pacific in WWII.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Most of the WW2 guys never talked about what they did in the war.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 AM

355 posts, read 911,452 times
What confuses me is you dont often hear of soldiers in the European theatre talk about the damn germans, or hear of this hatred 60 years later, is it because it was a familar enemy or because the level of ferosity was not there, but damage was because of the use of bigger guns and artillery support peices.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM

it's because of the level of violance....

In my dad's squadron, one of the planes went down off the end of the runway on takeoff... by the time the Marines could get to them, the Japanese had already beheaded the pilot and his radio-gunner.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM

but I think that what people were against was more the culture then the people....

The Nisei....Japanese Americans in the 442nd Infantry Regiment were among the most honorable of all the fighting units and the most highly decorated.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,242 times
I wonder if this show will delve into the campaign to re-take the Philippines? If would be kinda one sided and might make people think the Pacific campaign was won solely by the US Marine Corps.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 AM

I worry that when all the WW2 veterans are gone, history will be re-written and it will turn out that we bombed Pearl Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV