Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:32 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,436,879 times

Advertisements

For weeks, the previews for the new show, "The Good Wife", kept replaying a scene where the female main character hauls off and smacks her husband across the face* -- hard.

On last Sunday's episode of "Desperate Housewives", the new female character on the block hauled off and punched her husband in the face -- hard.

And today on Rachel Ray they showed a clip from the show "Twilight", where a female character punches one of the male characters in the face -- hard.

And in all three cases, it was without repercussion, as if this were a perfectly natural and acceptable response to whatever the men had done. What? The? Hell?

What's up with depicting such despicable behavior? If the husbands or men in these shows smacked or punched their wives or women, there would be a public uproar. Women's groups would be organizing boycotts. Why don't we even bat an eyelash when it's women beating on men?

*And this was precisely why I refused to ever tune in to that show.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,100 times
I'm not a big fan of violence against anyone but if someone attacks me be they male or female, young or old, I will attack back in kind. I do not believe in the whole "gentler sex" excuse for allowing a woman to physically assault a male without repercussions. Don't get me wrong if a woman slaps me I'm not going to deck her with a right cross to the face but I will (and have) slap her right back.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
I'm not a big fan of violence against anyone but if someone attacks me be they male or female, young or old, I will attack back in kind. I do not believe in the whole "gentler sex" excuse for allowing a woman to physically assault a male without repercussions. Don't get me wrong if a woman slaps me I'm not going to deck her with a right cross to the face but I will (and have) slap her right back.

I bet you make sure your date pays half the bill too.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 PM

106 posts, read 288,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Get a job.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Nope not unless they ask to. I don't see what one has to do with the other really.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
Get a job.
Have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Nope not unless they ask to. I don't see what one has to do with the other really.
I just can't believe someone would be proud of smacking a woman, or that women are not "the gentler sex", clearly we are almost always smaller, physically weaker..etc. Women and men ARE different, that's all. Chivalry is truly dead.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Didn't say I was proud just that I would respond in kind and yes I agree that the genders are different but that doesn't give one the right to strike the other without consequence. As long as they respect me and my space I respect them and theirs.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
For weeks, the previews for the new show, "The Good Wife", kept replaying a scene where the female main character hauls off and smacks her husband across the face* -- hard.

On last Sunday's episode of "Desperate Housewives", the new female character on the block hauled off and punched her husband in the face -- hard.

And today on Rachel Ray they showed a clip from the show "Twilight", where a female character punches one of the male characters in the face -- hard.

And in all three cases, it was without repercussion, as if this were a perfectly natural and acceptable response to whatever the men had done. What? The? Hell?

What's up with depicting such despicable behavior? If the husbands or men in these shows smacked or punched their wives or women, there would be a public uproar. Women's groups would be organizing boycotts. Why don't we even bat an eyelash when it's women beating on men?

*And this was precisely why I refused to ever tune in to that show.
Well in all those instances, except for Twilight (idk what that's about), it's because a husband was cheating on their wife.

The reason it's not made such a big deal of is probably because male on female violence is much more prevalent.

If my husband cheated on me he might get a smack too.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
jill i love your post and your thinking unfortunately many women enjoy seeing men assaulted and humiliated, that is why it is on prime time. we become what we hate.
it does not bother me that much on TV as i got an off button and its occurence in my private life i have taken steps to eliminate. you got rep.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
Quote:

Why would you say that?

I'm a woman and I don't think I have free reign to slap the crap outta anyone without expecting to get smacked back. Just because I have ovaries means I can go around smakin' men?!?! NOT!!!

And it has nothing to do with "chilvary". It has to do with MUTUAL RESPECT.

Rule #1 you learned in kindergarten: Do unto others. Hope you weren't absent that day.

Act feminine and don't raise your "gentle hand" to anyone and you shouldn't have a problem. If you think the best way to deal with a situation is to smack people across the face (as the example given was women finding out their husband's have been cheating), than your argument loses it's substance the minute you think the best response is violence.

Want a good response from someone? Go quiet! Silence makes people nervous. Smackin' them across the face makes you ghetto.

Have fun with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV