Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times

Advertisements

Yup. Me too. We see real people doing their jobs. I do agree that some CEOs might just be generous to a select few employees just so it looks good for the show. But as long as the employees benefit from this in some way, I'm liking it. And yes, I wonder what really happens--before the editing process is completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
On tonight's episode they told the employee's that the undercover CEO was on a documentary about stay at home moms that are now having to enter the workforce. I think that was a believable enough reason to explain the cameras & bring them to the headquarters to evaluate her.
The first part is believable, yes.
But when the employees are asked to go to the headquarters at the end, and there are cameras in the car with them... well, what's the excuse? Since they always wonder why they have to go there! Don't they realize at that point that could be Undercover Boss? (unless they don't know the show, which might be possible... for some of them)

Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
On tonight's episode they told the employee's that the undercover CEO was on a documentary about stay at home moms that are now having to enter the workforce. I think that was a believable enough reason to explain the cameras & bring them to the headquarters to evaluate her.

I must say, I'm becoming quite the crybaby, this episode was very moving & I teared up again this week too!

Courtney

I've been leaking tears, watching this show, too.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,445 times
Here is what I want to know about that episode. Was just picking up the solid waste the only step they took to clean the pool? In my last neighborhood whenever that happened they closed the pool and gave it a chemical treatment.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Here is what I want to know about that episode. Was just picking up the solid waste the only step they took to clean the pool? In my last neighborhood whenever that happened they closed the pool and gave it a chemical treatment.
Does make one stop and think doesn't it.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 AM

Default Last night's episode Frontier Airlines

Last night's show with the CEO of Frontier was the least interesting to me of all the previous episodes. And I think it's because Mr. Bedford was talking about the 10% pay cuts the employees took to keep the airline afloat after the mergers, and yet he was talking about that while enjoying the mega-big McMansion of a house. That left a bad taste in my mouth that didn't dissipate for the rest of the hour.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Last night's show with the CEO of Frontier was the least interesting to me of all the previous episodes. And I think it's because Mr. Bedford was talking about the 10% pay cuts the employees took to keep the airline afloat after the mergers, and yet he was talking about that while enjoying the mega-big McMansion of a house. That left a bad taste in my mouth that didn't dissipate for the rest of the hour.
I turned it off after eight of the first ten minutes were spent talking about god and having lots of children for god. Made me think twice about ever flying Frontier again. Religion should not be brought into the workplace.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I turned it off after eight of the first ten minutes were spent talking about god and having lots of children for god. Made me think twice about ever flying Frontier again. Religion should not be brought into the workplace.
We got a new manager in some company that I had worked for. He was a 'born again-er'. We had various clubs/groups that met at lunchtime. It was shocking how many joined the bible reading group after that manager arrived. All a bunch of behind-kissers and not one caring a smidgen about religion prior to that.

It is as though this is one of the quirks that a delusional person can show to the world and still be accepted as normal. There are businesses in which people are promoted and invited to after hour socializing depending upon their religion. Sad, really.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM

To mention a particular philosophy or religion that one lives by is ok, but to emphasize it throughout an entire show I feel is a put-off to the general viewing audience. I don't mind knowing what makes a person tick, but please don't shove it down my throat.

But more than the religious aspect for why I would think twice about flying Frontier is the "cross utilization" of jobs. We learned from the show that front desk employees can also be the baggage handlers -- so, where else is there cross utilization?? Please do not tell me that at the smaller airports the pilots also clean the cabins and then dump the lavatories or something like that. And it better be mechanics whose sole job is to do the between-flights maintenance checks and not anyone else who's been cross trained.

Surely, none of that is true, but the show's editing wasn't very assuring.

I do wonder how much 'say' a company has once the show is in the can and the editing does begin. After all, I'm not that naive -- it is an hour-long commercial for the company. I think Frontier's PR department has some scrambling to do. I did not see anything positive about Frontier as "a different animal" -- all I saw was chaos and hurry-hurry-hurry get the herds loaded aboard onto a plane that had a seven-minute cleaning which included about a three-second wipe down of the germy bathrooms.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
To mention a particular philosophy or religion that one lives by is ok, but to emphasize it throughout an entire show I feel is a put-off to the general viewing audience. I don't mind knowing what makes a person tick, but please don't shove it down my throat.
I understand your viewpoint, but I disagree. It adds nothing to the show or the business for the guy to be on camera explaining how god told him to have eight kids and maybe more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV