Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:02 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
My god. I remember a few times in the past where I marathoned the show and had no issues with the content, but just recently I've randomly watched two episodes to pass the time at work and the horror of the stories featured has stayed with me for a few days. In fact, I watched the second episode just to sort of cleanse my mind of the first one. The stories involved (1) a young woman shot as she drove home from a 4th of July party, dragged out of her vehicle, sexually assaulted--after being shot, mind you--discarded to die in a ditch, and (2) a woman and her two daughters, on the childrens' first vacation to heal from the older daughter's rape by an uncle, all three of whom end up alone in the middle of Tampa Bay with a madman who sexually assaulted and then sent them to their drowning deaths while still alive.

I used to be able to watch this stuff, shake my head, be disturbed by it for a brief bit and then move on, but these two stories have really shaken me. Has anyone else been bothered enough by something seen on one of these shows that you had to swear them off? I've actually shed a tear in the past from seeing something on Dateline, some parent talking about their murdered son, things like that. Thinking about those two girls and their mom having to endure what they did for a few hours on a boat at night in the middle of nowhere--then watching one another be thrown into the bay, gagged, tied and weighted down--has broken my heart, and of course I didn't even know the people.

Remember the Tampa Bay story, read a book about it.

And know exactly what you mean...most of these stories involve women, abused, beaten, raped and murdered.

I too watch and read less than I did...true crime is fascinating to me, the behavior of people, but when it's mostly women victims...we know men are seldom victims...it just underscores how prevalent it is...and so sickening.

Men could learn a lesson in why women are not really safe in any environment, if they'd just listen. But rarely any actually hear this as ringing true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I mean yep look at me I am a walking miracle my sister s bf killed her and almost killed me he stabbed me so hard the knife went through my body and stuck me to the wood floor . I had to find the courage to kick the wood floor so someone would come upstairs and at least knock on the door so I could holler for help . I remember some girl shouting im calling the police and she did and they called an ambulance no one including the drs knew why I lived and how the knife missed every vital organ and not one major blood vessel was knicked . I do remember the arse hole cop that stood over me telling me I was going to die and I should tell them who killed my sister and stabbed me . I told him his name they later found him , he commited suicide in his car yeah he had a gun in his car .I also remember the paramedic/fireman who told me hang on we are almost there meaning the hospital after that I must have passed out . I woke up in the hospital with some nurse talking to another nurse saying poor thing she is probably going to die or be horribly scared up for the rest of her life . Yeah I will take scars over dying any day . I often wonder why I was spared . Someone told me God has a purpose for you and all people who survive such wickedness , I don't know I tell people im blessed and that I am a walking miracle .by the way for some of you wondering I was 17 yrs old when this happened .

Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I also like this kind of stuff less and less as I get older. I think you develop more compassion the more you live - or at least in my own case I feel I have more compassion than I had. I used to take this stuff for granted as "just TV," but somewhere along the line I started to wonder why someone had the idea that the suffering of others was entertaining. Especially, Bob Caldwell, if you take a break from it.

I can still love a good murder mystery, but true crime and real people not so much anymore.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I LOVE all that stuff. Doesn't bother me in the least. If I had known about Forensics when I was younger, I would have loved getting into the field.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I remember both of those cases on FF--and I'm still watching.

I remember the break in the Rogers case coming when investigators put up a billboard with a copy of of his handwriting (he'd written directions to his boat for the unsuspecting family). A woman recognized the writing as that of a contractor who'd done work on her home.

Chilling cases. Even 48 hours is hard to watch (see the Tom and Jackie Hawkes case)--and that's on for an hour, with more in-depth coverage.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I can't watch that show, it leaves me feeling horrible. My husband watches every episode, and I worry that it might affect him badly somehow without him realizing it. I prefer to watch wholesome shows that don't make me want to vomit.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:19 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I mean yep look at me I am a walking miracle my sister s bf killed her and almost killed me he stabbed me so hard the knife went through my body and stuck me to the wood floor . I had to find the courage to kick the wood floor so someone would come upstairs and at least knock on the door so I could holler for help . I remember some girl shouting im calling the police and she did and they called an ambulance no one including the drs knew why I lived and how the knife missed every vital organ and not one major blood vessel was knicked . I do remember the arse hole cop that stood over me telling me I was going to die and I should tell them who killed my sister and stabbed me . I told him his name they later found him , he commited suicide in his car yeah he had a gun in his car .I also remember the paramedic/fireman who told me hang on we are almost there meaning the hospital after that I must have passed out . I woke up in the hospital with some nurse talking to another nurse saying poor thing she is probably going to die or be horribly scared up for the rest of her life . Yeah I will take scars over dying any day . I often wonder why I was spared . Someone told me God has a purpose for you and all people who survive such wickedness , I don't know I tell people im blessed and that I am a walking miracle .by the way for some of you wondering I was 17 yrs old when this happened .

Wow what a story you have told!..Sorry.

Glad you are here with us...

Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
My god. I remember a few times in the past where I marathoned the show and had no issues with the content, but just recently I've randomly watched two episodes to pass the time at work and the horror of the stories featured has stayed with me for a few days. In fact, I watched the second episode just to sort of cleanse my mind of the first one. The stories involved (1) a young woman shot as she drove home from a 4th of July party, dragged out of her vehicle, sexually assaulted--after being shot, mind you--discarded to die in a ditch, and (2) a woman and her two daughters, on the childrens' first vacation to heal from the older daughter's rape by an uncle, all three of whom end up alone in the middle of Tampa Bay with a madman who sexually assaulted and then sent them to their drowning deaths while still alive.

I used to be able to watch this stuff, shake my head, be disturbed by it for a brief bit and then move on, but these two stories have really shaken me. Has anyone else been bothered enough by something seen on one of these shows that you had to swear them off? I've actually shed a tear in the past from seeing something on Dateline, some parent talking about their murdered son, things like that. Thinking about those two girls and their mom having to endure what they did for a few hours on a boat at night in the middle of nowhere--then watching one another be thrown into the bay, gagged, tied and weighted down--has broken my heart, and of course I didn't even know the people.

I don't watch these shows for a number of reasons, one of them being that they are more sensationalism than educational. Another one is that since this is my work from time to time, cases may already be known to me.

Such as the #2 you mentioned where I recognized that right off as the murder of Joan Rogers and family.

The second reason is one of the reason why I don't watch many cop shows in that the writers often pull from reality. The cop shows I do watch are those of overseas characters for if those writers do the same, I am not likely, well less likely, to know the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
.........I too watch and read less than I did...true crime is fascinating to me, the behavior of people, but when it's mostly women victims...we know men are seldom victims...it just underscores how prevalent it is...and so sickening.

Books are something else because I have to read them to add to my mind's database. The thing with a book, however, is that I can speed read it in a detached mode. It is not some TV show which is dragging it out so I am hooked over the commercials.

Finally, one thing I do with books is offer to read them and report back to those whose kin were covered in the book. So far, I've only done that once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I'm with you. I won't watch that stuff anymore. Even when I did, I limited it drastically because I felt it could become an unhealthy obsession. I don't feel like it's edifying for anything unless one IS in forensic sciences.

It's an ugly business......but someone has to do it.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-21-2018 at 01:18 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 08:15 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Ummm, the cop stood over you and told you were going to die? Did he lose his job? Any department I have known would fire a cop for that kind of behavior. Sorry to hear your story. Odd......

Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
yeah OP, it's not good to have that negative heavy chit swimming around in your head all day. I quit listening to a podcast (My Favorite Murder) for that very reason. It is good to be aware of the evil that exists, but not to dwell on it.

Our 7 yo daughter is pretty keen to strangers and odd situations. She was watching the fish display in Walmart the other day and some creepo came up and stood right next to her. She turned and says, "you don't have to stand so close, I don't even know you"....LOL...Good girl!!! I was watching from about 20 feet away.

I can't dwell on this stuff either. If I imagine what some waste of space could do to my wife or kids, I get in a bad place. Just be aware of evil and continue on with your life. I was paramedic for SD County for a number of years. I saw enough of what people can do to one another to last two lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV