Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM

4,064 posts, read 5,648,652 times

Advertisements

It's probably similar to when I stopped watching those Criminal Mind shows...got just more sicko, went over the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 08:40 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,515,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
My god. I remember a few times in the past where I marathoned the show and had no issues with the content, but just recently I've randomly watched two episodes to pass the time at work and the horror of the stories featured has stayed with me for a few days. In fact, I watched the second episode just to sort of cleanse my mind of the first one. The stories involved (1) a young woman shot as she drove home from a 4th of July party, dragged out of her vehicle, sexually assaulted--after being shot, mind you--discarded to die in a ditch, and (2) a woman and her two daughters, on the childrens' first vacation to heal from the older daughter's rape by an uncle, all three of whom end up alone in the middle of Tampa Bay with a madman who sexually assaulted and then sent them to their drowning deaths while still alive.

I used to be able to watch this stuff, shake my head, be disturbed by it for a brief bit and then move on, but these two stories have really shaken me. Has anyone else been bothered enough by something seen on one of these shows that you had to swear them off? I've actually shed a tear in the past from seeing something on Dateline, some parent talking about their murdered son, things like that. Thinking about those two girls and their mom having to endure what they did for a few hours on a boat at night in the middle of nowhere--then watching one another be thrown into the bay, gagged, tied and weighted down--has broken my heart, and of course I didn't even know the people.
I am a True Crime buff, and THIS is the case that has haunted me. I have commented before that I had the POS murderer's execution date written on my calendar, and I REJOICED upon reading that he was executed on that date. Shortly after this case, in the late '80's I believe, a similar one occured in which a mother, her daughter and her daughter's friend went camping in Yellowstone, I think. The handyman killed all three of them, plus another young female park ranger. The killer was Cory Stanger (sp), brother of a boy who made headlines in the '70's I think who was kidnapped at age 7 and not found for many years. A TV movie was made of this case, titled "I Know My Name Is Steven". Steven was found/rescued but sadly at age 24 was killed in a motorcycle or car accident. It was said that his brother Cory suffered because he was neglected by his parents while they were mourning the loss of Steven. I remember this case as well because it resembled the mother and daughters in Florida's case.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 10-23-2018 at 09:02 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Don't much care for this show, but for different reasons.

First, the narrator is overly breathless and dramatic sometimes. Also, it is way to redundant and derivative. These episode could be 10 minutes without all the recaps of what they just told you before the 6 minute commercial break.

Second, on at least 2 or 3 occasions, forensics had nothing to do with solving the case. Heck, I remember a couple times where the perp turned himself in!

The only time it "got to me" was a case of an a-hole father killed his kid and dumped his body. Part of the investigation focused on his stomach contents. It was this damn cereal that I bought for my kid, and walked past everyday in the store. Made me sad every time.
I know this case just by your description. I wanted to be a cop in my childhood years, but times were different back then. Forensics facinates me, "in my next life" LOL I will be doing something in forensic science.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,581,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I am a True Crime buff, and THIS is the case that has haunted me. I have commented before that I had the POS murderer's execution date written on my calendar, and I REJOICED upon reading that he was executed on that date. Shortly after this case, in the late '80's I believe, a similar one occured in which a mother, her daughter and her daughter's friend went camping in Yellowstone, I think. The handyman killed all three of them, plus another young female park ranger. The killer was Cory Stanger (sp), brother of a boy who made headlines in the '70's I think who was kidnapped at age 7 and not found for many years. A TV movie was made of this case, titled "I Know My Name Is Steven". Steven was found/rescued but sadly at age 24 was killed in a motorcycle or car accident. It was said that his brother Cory suffered because he was neglected by his parents while they were mourning the loss of Steven. I remember this case as well because it resembled the mother and daughters in Florida's case.
I think the spelling of the last name was Stayner, if I'm not mistaken. Watching the movie about Steven haunted me, and I felt even worse when Cory became a killer and Steven died in the motorcycle accident, because not only was Steven's life cut too short after all of the trauma he'd already endured, but I also thought about those poor parents essentially losing 2 children!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
I have heard that happens sometimes in cases of abduction, the remaining child(ren) feels neglected. That is a total shame. Of course I can understand the parent(s) total absorption of their missing child. I don't know how someone could find a balance in such a situation.

Yes, the name was Staynor.

I wish Molly Bish's killer would be found.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
that whole stayner family was messed up . first off mom let grandpa live there in their home after he had molested her as a girl . what kind of mother does that ? she is and was messed up and she wonders why her son ended up killing those women ? maybe because he saw or heard what grandpa did to mom and saw mom allowing grandpa to live there and maybe molest his granddaughters who knows . Yes steven died several years ago he was hit on a bicycle and killed . I wound not be surprised if some of the grand kids turn out twisted too . yes cory was the killer of those women in the state park . Their father passed away several years ago . too bad the cops did not investigate the family a lil deeper maybe they could have stopped cory befor he killed those women . I have no sympathy for this family at all after reading all of this in a newspaper article that someone did on them after cory was arrested and charged .

Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
First, the narrator is overly breathless and dramatic sometimes.

The narrator was most excellent, and part of the reason for the show's success.

Not to worry, Peter Thomas died 2 years ago, so you won't see him again.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
that whole stayner family was messed up . first off mom let grandpa live there in their home after he had molested her as a girl . what kind of mother does that ? she is and was messed up and she wonders why her son ended up killing those women ? maybe because he saw or heard what grandpa did to mom and saw mom allowing grandpa to live there and maybe molest his granddaughters who knows . Yes steven died several years ago he was hit on a bicycle and killed . I wound not be surprised if some of the grand kids turn out twisted too . yes cory was the killer of those women in the state park . Their father passed away several years ago . too bad the cops did not investigate the family a lil deeper maybe they could have stopped cory befor he killed those women . I have no sympathy for this family at all after reading all of this in a newspaper article that someone did on them after cory was arrested and charged .
I always say "there is more to the story". On the surface one can such have hate and anger for the perpetrator of heinous crimes, which I also feel, but if one can learn the background on possible reasons the perp turned out the way they did, maybe some compassion could be felt for the life and childhood tragic events experienced by the perp. This of course is easier said than done, because IMO one knows the difference between right and wrong as they get older, and who cares why they hurt others. I have no sympathy for the perp as an adult, my tears are for the victims.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:25 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,527,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I mean yep look at me I am a walking miracle my sister s bf killed her and almost killed me he stabbed me so hard the knife went through my body and stuck me to the wood floor . I had to find the courage to kick the wood floor so someone would come upstairs and at least knock on the door so I could holler for help . I remember some girl shouting im calling the police and she did and they called an ambulance no one including the drs knew why I lived and how the knife missed every vital organ and not one major blood vessel was knicked . I do remember the arse hole cop that stood over me telling me I was going to die and I should tell them who killed my sister and stabbed me . I told him his name they later found him , he commited suicide in his car yeah he had a gun in his car .I also remember the paramedic/fireman who told me hang on we are almost there meaning the hospital after that I must have passed out . I woke up in the hospital with some nurse talking to another nurse saying poor thing she is probably going to die or be horribly scared up for the rest of her life . Yeah I will take scars over dying any day . I often wonder why I was spared . Someone told me God has a purpose for you and all people who survive such wickedness , I don't know I tell people im blessed and that I am a walking miracle .by the way for some of you wondering I was 17 yrs old when this happened .
I'm so sorry to read that you had to live through this. In light of the conversation, I wonder how you would feel seeing your experience "dramatized" for the entertainment of the viewing public.

Glad you made it.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
My god. I remember a few times in the past where I marathoned the show and had no issues with the content, but just recently I've randomly watched two episodes to pass the time at work and the horror of the stories featured has stayed with me for a few days. In fact, I watched the second episode just to sort of cleanse my mind of the first one. The stories involved (1) a young woman shot as she drove home from a 4th of July party, dragged out of her vehicle, sexually assaulted--after being shot, mind you--discarded to die in a ditch, and (2) a woman and her two daughters, on the childrens' first vacation to heal from the older daughter's rape by an uncle, all three of whom end up alone in the middle of Tampa Bay with a madman who sexually assaulted and then sent them to their drowning deaths while still alive.

I used to be able to watch this stuff, shake my head, be disturbed by it for a brief bit and then move on, but these two stories have really shaken me. Has anyone else been bothered enough by something seen on one of these shows that you had to swear them off? I've actually shed a tear in the past from seeing something on Dateline, some parent talking about their murdered son, things like that. Thinking about those two girls and their mom having to endure what they did for a few hours on a boat at night in the middle of nowhere--then watching one another be thrown into the bay, gagged, tied and weighted down--has broken my heart, and of course I didn't even know the people.
I also used to be able to binge them and can't anymore. This will seem odd, but I would put on the I/D channel when I couldn't sleep. The content was not pleasant for sleep, I was after the monotone and the repetitive nature of how they tell a a story.

Anyway, yeah, it's too gruesome, some of the stories. And I felt like I learned more than I needed to about all the evil in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV