Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

The libertarian Reason magazine has an article about the show on its website. The author claims the family is countercultural.

The Countercultural Appeal of 19 Kids and Counting - Reason.com

Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The libertarian Reason magazine has an article about the show on its website. The author claims the family is countercultural.

The Countercultural Appeal of 19 Kids and Counting - Reason.com
They are! No doubt abut that.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Every family should have 19 kids, that way nobody is paying income taxes and the govt. won't have any money to waste.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Every family should have 19 kids, that way nobody is paying income taxes and the govt. won't have any money to waste.
Do you have evidence the Duggars are milking the government?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Quote:
I'd be more inclined to think they were going under some sort of Not for Profit organized write-offs with religion as it's basis. They hold a few services in their front room, preach their beliefs on tv thru their show, spread a little good thru their community and mission work.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Milking the govt. of course not, but they are getting tax breaks that the normal 2.2 kids per family is not getting.

We don't need more overpopulators who don't pay their fair share.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,218 times
I have become a regular at watching the show and I do enjoy it.

What's interesting to me on this thread is how how so many people come on here just to gripe and criticize and belittle and sneer at the Duggars even though they are all good, decent, courteous and religious people.

I suspect if there was a reality show detailing the life of an atheistic commune consisting of gay and transsexual couples supporting themselves by selling their legalized cannabis and spending their time protesting public nativity scenes that these same folks here would be applauding about how wonderfully "progressive", the country has become.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
I'd be more inclined to think they were going under some sort of Not for Profit organized write-offs with religion as it's basis. They hold a few services in their front room, preach their beliefs on tv thru their show, spread a little good thru their community and mission work.
They do preach their beliefs through their show because thats the basis for their show, all the way down to their first documentary. They told TLC they wont do a show if they edit out their beliefs.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:06 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
I have become a regular at watching the show and I do enjoy it.

What's interesting to me on this thread is how how so many people come on here just to gripe and criticize and belittle and sneer at the Duggars even though they are all good, decent, courteous and religious people.
I enjoy watching it too, and admire many things about the family, but there are two things that really bug me.
The first is that the overly modest clothing the females wear is just silly. Jill just wore a skirt to go on a hike. The women wore some kind of weird skirt thing to go waterskiing. This modesty leads me to think they must have a very low opinion of the lustful males in their circle. Once, one of the girls said they had long hair because, "My dad likes long hair." Creepy.
The second thing is the lack of education they are getting. Sure they can graduate from the online school and then go to the online college, but its all the religious fanatic curriculum. The children are not exposed to great literature, and their idea of science is the Creationist Museum. Jim Bob's businesses cannot absorb all these children, so how will they compete in the world?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:23 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I enjoy watching it too, and admire many things about the family, but there are two things that really bug me.
The first is that the overly modest clothing the females wear is just silly. Jill just wore a skirt to go on a hike.....
LOL, one of the things that really made me nervous last night was seeing Jill wear sandals on an outdoor hike. Stub a toe, twist an ankle, get a snakebite, those in itself are reasons to wear hiking shoes or at least sneakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV