Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times

Advertisements

I finally got around to watching the show and I am a fan! Just makes one wonder how much money these folks make. The word "million" is so normal to them, like "broke" is to me, lol! It's nice to see the show focused solely on NYC as I loved the New York City week of House Hunters, and really any episode of House Hunters in the Big Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I finally got around to watching the show and I am a fan! Just makes one wonder how much money these folks make. The word "million" is so normal to them, like "broke" is to me, lol! It's nice to see the show focused solely on NYC as I loved the New York City week of House Hunters, and really any episode of House Hunters in the Big Apple.
I like it too. I see so many places that I recognize and have wondered,now know what they look like inside.
For real-how much money do these people have and where do I sign up for a job like they have?
No, not too many House Hunters will be filmed in Manhattan because there are few homes to be found. In the traditional sense,I meant. And not too many people have a million plus to spend. The ones that do are buying a vacation home in some exotic place.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I like it too. I see so many places that I recognize and have wondered,now know what they look like inside.
For real-how much money do these people have and where do I sign up for a job like they have?
No, not too many House Hunters will be filmed in Manhattan because there are few homes to be found. In the traditional sense,I meant. And not too many people have a million plus to spend. The ones that do are buying a vacation home in some exotic place.
I guess if I become that world-famous author I aspired to be at one point, I could afford one of those apartments. I've watched enough episodes of House Hunters from the Northeast, Chicago, and Southern California to the point where sticker shock seemed not to be as big of a factor anymore...but man, Manhattan is in a league of its own! I've read some of the NYC forums in which people say that you can't even really live off $100,000 comfortably in many parts of Manhattan. In other areas of the country, my part included, $100,000 a year would have anyone sitting very pretty and living in a McMansion or a very nice unit uptown. I think the fact that NYC has so few traditional homes makes it appealing. I don't know when or if I'll ever get to visit but it's good to have a show like this to see what it looks like and where the big spenders live, lol

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I guess if I become that world-famous author I aspired to be at one point, I could afford one of those apartments. I've watched enough episodes of House Hunters from the Northeast, Chicago, and Southern California to the point where sticker shock seemed not to be as big of a factor anymore...but man, Manhattan is in a league of its own! I've read some of the NYC forums in which people say that you can't even really live off $100,000 comfortably in many parts of Manhattan. In other areas of the country, my part included, $100,000 a year would have anyone sitting very pretty and living in a McMansion or a very nice unit uptown. I think the fact that NYC has so few traditional homes makes it appealing. I don't know when or if I'll ever get to visit but it's good to have a show like this to see what it looks like and where the big spenders live, lol

From what I've seen.....$100,000 a year would be a joke in this area. I imagine they drive up the prices in order to keep a whole lot of people out. I can understand the reasoning behind that. But geeze....spending $5000 to $30,000 a month for RENT???????????????

Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I love the show. It appeals to me because I love New York City. My father was from Brooklyn and I still have relatives who live on LI.

There is no place like NYC and seeing the upscale residences is lots of fun for me. Those prewar highrise penthouses are my favorites. I like the old stuff that has been renewed. When the show was first advertised I thought that I would love it and I do. I also enjoy seeing the lofts and what folks have done to them.

I have friends from college who own a place off 110th near Columbia and my favorite vacations are spending time with them, seeing the shows, walking down Amsterdam and riding the subway to the lower east side for some shopping.

The city is not a place where I would want to live but it sure is fun seeing all the upscale places for sale.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
From what I've seen.....$100,000 a year would be a joke in this area. I imagine they drive up the prices in order to keep a whole lot of people out. I can understand the reasoning behind that. But geeze....spending $5000 to $30,000 a month for RENT???????????????
Tell me about it! I pick up those apartment guide magazines every now and then to see what's being built, and it still stings my heart to see rent inching closer to $1,000 a month in parts of Charlotte for studios and 1 BRs. I guess it goes without saying that I haven't really seen much of the world then, huh?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I like it also. I like to see the apartments. Most are really nice, but not all of them.

I just do not understand though, that when you are going to buy either a condo or coop, that is brand spanking new for mega bucks, wouldn't you want to pick out your own kitchen cabinets and counter tops, bathroom tiles and the type of floors you would want??, instead of the builder picking it out.

If I spent a few million on an apartment, I want to pick out the finishes, not some one else, thank you very much ..

Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,912 times
I think they should show more pre-wars. Sometimes modern is good but modern/industrial can be a bit much for me. househunters seem to shoot more on the west coast, midwest and atlanta area.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
last nights episode this chick had a wish list from here to eternity, she finally gets shown a place with a terrace from here to China, and has the nerve to tell the RE lady that is kind claustrophobic, with the other buildings around.
Ummm, hun....this is New York, there might be a few buildings here and there....

The next person has a sprawling home in CT, absolutely gorgeous, rooms for days....want to be a city girl again, Mom shows her several apartments and she is bitching they are all too small and both here kids want their own bedroom and their own bathroom.....
Umm, hun, then maybe the City isn't for you.....

These people kill me......so contradictory..... but I like the show anyway.
The mother RE lady with the 2 daughters is actually nice, i like them......

Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
That chick is a spoiled neurotic! Poor thing can't afford to break her budget of 2.5.

OK that guy with the holy-smoke was full of BS and so was that goofy agent...I think the actress was even rolling her eyes. BTW, does she realize how lucky she and her family are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV