Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times

Advertisements

My soulmate and I had an interesting conversation as we watched game 6 between the Lakers and Celtics tonight. We've both lived 60% of our lives in Los Angeles, but someday plan to reside elsewhere.

Given that I'm a Caribbean islander and she's a Pacific islander, we'd naturally prefer to live our last days on an island upon retirement. We named seven island nations, the majority of which we are unfamiliar with. Of all the ones mentioned, Guam seemed to be the one place which equally attracted our attentions.

So, is there anyone here who can shed some light about Guam based on personal experience? I realize I can google a ton of info, but I'd rather read about it from someone who's lived there.

Feel free to share your experiences regarding Guam's culture, demographics, cost of living, transportation, etc.

Thank you

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-22-2010 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Removed all bolded text- screams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 PM

21 posts, read 74,538 times
I lived on Guam for a couple of years. I enjoyed my time there and the people. It is expensive and is considered the Japanese "Hawaii." Hotels, restaurants and shops cater to this. There is an Air Force Base in the north and a Navy Base in the south, so lots of military. Finding housing can be difficult and expensive, but if you like island life and beautiful beaches-it's beautiful. It is a bonus if you golf or dive too. Of course, it is very hot and gets hit by typhoons- I was there during typhoon Paka and it took a while to get the island infrastructure up and running again. As with most island living, patience is required and goods and services are limited and the island is only 8 miles wide.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdwomanwa View Post
I lived on Guam for a couple of years. I enjoyed my time there and the people. It is expensive and is considered the Japanese "Hawaii." Hotels, restaurants and shops cater to this. There is an Air Force Base in the north and a Navy Base in the south, so lots of military. Finding housing can be difficult and expensive, but if you like island life and beautiful beaches-it's beautiful. It is a bonus if you golf or dive too. Of course, it is very hot and gets hit by typhoons- I was there during typhoon Paka and it took a while to get the island infrastructure up and running again. As with most island living, patience is required and goods and services are limited and the island is only 8 miles wide.
Thanks for your input. Had not realized someone had responded to this post. We are keeping an open mind about our choices. But so far, Guam seems to be the place we mutually agree upon. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 17,526 times
First of all, I am another islander from the neighboring islands and recently moved to Guam. This is my fourth year on Guam. I think Guam is a lovely island and the people are very friendly and always willing to go out of their ways to help you out whether you need it or not. There may be few who are inconsiderate but you find that in every society.
The scenes are lovely and it is a great place to spend your life.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2010, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 8,373 times
We're moving to Guam in March on military orders. It's sooooo hard to find any good information on the net. We found [url=http://www.guampcs.com]Guam PCS | Guam TLA | Guam Relocation Service Includes Hotel and Rental Car[/url] and they've been really helpful so far.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 AM

3 posts, read 14,467 times
We're going to be there in two weeks. So far every realtor i've emailed hasn't written back to me!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,467 times
Just found Guam Apartment House and Condo Rentals - Official Website that's really helped out so far. And they actually write back!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelindaM View Post
Just found Guam Apartment House and Condo Rentals - Official Website that's really helped out so far. And they actually write back!
Thank you. We will look into this just to start getting ideas. We're still a few years away from making our move but this is a start. Thank you.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Used to live there...at the time is was a real vacation destination for the Japanese giving the island essentially a service economy.

Don't know if it's still the same, but friends there tell me it has been developed substantially over the last few years.

Definitely a lot of military there, so between them and the vacationers, I believe the permanent population is relatively small. Not to say that it isn't crowded, but that many of the people are there for only 6 months, a year.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
Guam is like a mix of American,Hispanic,Asian and of course Pacific Islander Culture and Influence,and you will notice this while living there.

If you like Year Round Summer Weather,Nice Beaches,Friendly People,Fiestas and a more Laid Back Lifestyle,then you'll enjoy Guam.

From my experience some people like living in Guam and some don't....I enjoyed my time there very much :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories