Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

The recent decision by the British government to move towards directly integrating the 14 remaining British overseas territories and the 3 crown dependencies directly into the United Kingdom proper led me to ponder the future for our 5 territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands).

As with the 14 British overseas territories I think independence is very unlikely at this point in time. None of them are economically sustainable as independent nations, not even Puerto Rico with it's tourist industry. It also seems that there is very little support for independence. This leaves the status quo, some form of enhanced self government, and integration into the United States (ie: statehood).

I personally think the status quo will remain for the foreseeable future. They have the best of both worlds as territories. I do believe though that Puerto Rico will eventually become a state, probably within the next decade. The biggest obstacle to integration is that many of our territories (ex. the US Virgin Islands or American Samoa) are too small in both size and population to become states in their own right. How can we have a state that is only 76 square miles with only 66,000 people but yet also has 2 senators and 1 representative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
It sounds simplistic, but maybe bundle Puerto Rico and the USVI into a single state each with their own US senator. Then combine the Pacific territories Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Island, into a single state. Would it be messy? Probably, but what are the alternatives? i don't think that we really need more than two new states.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
I don't think that the status will change anytime soon. I'll probably die and people will still be debating the political future of the island.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
Just curious...Can you post a link regarding the British decision to re-evaluate their external territories?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,537 times
puertoricans love their status quo regarding this issue.
Independence, NEVER.
State, i doubt in my lifetime.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
In their current "Commonwealth" status, they have the WORST of both worlds. They are completely owned by a foreign country which controls all trade, laws, and the economy, and in return, they receive subsistence wages. And you call that the best of both worlds?

Until PR decides to either become Independent OR a State, they will stay economically depressed and stagnant, falling further and further behind other Latin American countries, nevermind the world and the US. It is a failed system, everyone knows this, but they keep playing politics, while anyone with any means abandons the island, leaving the very poorest and the elderly.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 AM

26 posts, read 113,925 times
I think Puerto Rico is closer than it has ever been in deciding the future of the status of the island. Interesting topic.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I still have not seen any compelling arguments as to why independence or statehood would be the islands savior. Statehood: keeping the same (actually more) amount of US controls, but paying even more taxes. Businesses and opportunities wouldn't suddenly come running just because PR is a state. Independence? Go to the Dominican Republic and tell me they have it better there. PR has less resources and arable land. Much less. Basic commodities such as gasoline will skyrocket in price without US distribution, and wages will plummet. Every family on the island will suddenly have to struggle with the complex visa process just to see their relatives abroad. Let's face it, Puerto Rico has no good options. Those who love it enough will stay or go back and forth. The end.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Just curious...Can you post a link regarding the British decision to re-evaluate their external territories?
Britain adopts a new approach to Bermuda - Bermuda Sun... Beyond the Headlines - Hamilton, Bermuda
'We want to give Bermuda a voice in London' - Bermuda Sun... Beyond the Headlines - Hamilton, Bermuda
Some quotes:
Quote:
Bermuda is our oldest territory, of over 400 years. It’s important that the people know that Britain does value our relationship with them. They are no longer remnants of a colonial past that we don’t want to bother with. That may have been the attitude of the previous Labour government but that is no longer the case.
“We need to move our relationship into a more modern context, a non-colonial relationship where they are equal partners within the British family.
Quote:
[SIZE=2]The U.K. Government is preparing a White Paper aimed at a more inclusive style of governance towards its Overseas Territories.
“It is going to look at taking the relationship to a different level. It will be an exciting development,” Mr. Rosindell said.
The White Paper will examine areas where the BOTs can be “properly included”.
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories