Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:39 AM

95 posts, read 323,730 times

Advertisements

Would anyone suggest working for Walgreens in Puerto Rico?

I currently work for Walgreens in Southern Louisiana, and I've worked for the company for about 5 years. I would be interested in moving in maybe 5 or 10 years. note: I am very future-oriented, so 5 or 10 years is not that far away for me.

Would Puerto Rico work for what I'm looking for?

Things that I would like have: to have a job with Walgreens, to have access to a beach, to be able to use a foreign language(s), to live in "paradise", to own a pet, to have "the option" of having a family, to buy a nice home, to have good internet access, to have a car, to eat good food

Things that I would not like have: to fear for my life... such a buzz kill

Things that don't care about one way or another: cable television, nice clothes, electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,898,604 times
You could probably do this if they give you a transfer.

Do you know that Walgreens in PR had the biggest selling record for all of their stores, for the one in San Patricio?

I would suggest you start with learning spanish , as this would be beneficial to you when you ask for a transfer. And since you are planning on this, gives you lots of time to learn a foreign language. It's not as hard as others think! It's only wanting to learn a language and proceeding .
Take a look at all the Walgreens throughout the island!
Get right on your career planning....Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:35 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times
Sorry to be blunt, but what exactly do you do for Walgreens? If you're not corporate management (as opposed to merely branch) or a pharmacist, you're wasting your time considering this question. Living in Puerto Rico is akin to living in Hawaii in terms of unaffordability of "American Living" comforts, while at the same time enjoying a much worse crime picture than Hawaii, particularly in the urban areas. As far as rural settings, rural living in Puerto Rico makes the stereotypical rural America (think Iowa) look like Dallas in terms of conveniences and access.

Nice home? Internet? The beach? Option to 'have a family? What does that all even mean?! Nothing of the "wants" list you listed on your original post strikes me as anything that could not be attained in the Lake Charles-Baton Rouge-Lafayette-NOLA region. Or the whole South-Southeastern United States to be frank. As a matter of fact, I am living proof that such condition is not only attainable in the States, it's is FAR CHEAPER and more accessible to attain here than in Puerto Rico. If I was still living in PR I'd be living in my parents basement because nobody under 40 can afford a starter home for 350K for a shack in PR, a place where 150K homes are considered ghetto section 8 housing down there. Try that for size. a place where 70% of the 60% labor participation (think about that too) populace that makes up the island works for the government and where the median income makes Mississippi's look like booming Texas. All my peers are either living in their parent's basements or packing up and going state-bound. These are lawyers, engineers and IT professionals. Screw that noise. That's one hell of a premium to have the "priviledge" of 75 degree weather in february. To each their own.

I'm afraid people's "research" about Caribbean living is limited to some dumb Kenny Chesney music video with US VI references. The caribbean is ripe for part-time living in my opinion, and I grew up down there. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,037,021 times
You think those home prices are a tad inflated? I see plenty of good homes here on the west coast for 100-150K. I mean if you're only looking in Condado perhaps you wouldn't find something under 350. I like living in a small town like San German, there's a good bit to do. But I do second what was said about working-- you have to be management or something high up behind the scenes to cut it. Just any old cashier is going to never get away from minimum wage. I've met nurses and teachers here making minimum wage

Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but what exactly do you do for Walgreens?
pharmacist

Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
You could probably do this if they give you a transfer.

Do you know that Walgreens in PR had the biggest selling record for all of their stores, for the one in San Patricio?

I would suggest you start with learning spanish , as this would be beneficial to you when you ask for a transfer. And since you are planning on this, gives you lots of time to learn a foreign language. It's not as hard as others think! It's only wanting to learn a language and proceeding .
Take a look at all the Walgreens throughout the island!
Get right on your career planning....Good Luck!
Yes. Transferring with them would be the best choice.

I already have an elementary Spanish class under my belt, which I finished a year ago. As much as I would have wanted that to mean something, Spanish serves little purpose in Louisiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but what exactly do you do for Walgreens? If you're not corporate management (as opposed to merely branch) or a pharmacist, you're wasting your time considering this question. Living in Puerto Rico is akin to living in Hawaii in terms of unaffordability of "American Living" comforts, while at the same time enjoying a much worse crime picture than Hawaii, particularly in the urban areas. As far as rural settings, rural living in Puerto Rico makes the stereotypical rural America (think Iowa) look like Dallas in terms of conveniences and access.

Nice home? Internet? The beach? Option to 'have a family? What does that all even mean?! Nothing of the "wants" list you listed on your original post strikes me as anything that could not be attained in the Lake Charles-Baton Rouge-Lafayette-NOLA region. Or the whole South-Southeastern United States to be frank. As a matter of fact, I am living proof that such condition is not only attainable in the States, it's is FAR CHEAPER and more accessible to attain here than in Puerto Rico. If I was still living in PR I'd be living in my parents basement because nobody under 40 can afford a starter home for 350K for a shack in PR, a place where 150K homes are considered ghetto section 8 housing down there. Try that for size. a place where 70% of the 60% labor participation (think about that too) populace that makes up the island works for the government and where the median income makes Mississippi's look like booming Texas. All my peers are either living in their parent's basements or packing up and going state-bound. These are lawyers, engineers and IT professionals. Screw that noise. That's one hell of a premium to have the "priviledge" of 75 degree weather in february. To each their own.

I'm afraid people's "research" about Caribbean living is limited to some dumb Kenny Chesney music video with US VI references. The caribbean is ripe for part-time living in my opinion, and I grew up down there. Good luck.
State boards of pharmacy will not just let pharmacists pack up and practice wherever they want, so Puerto Rico is a good option since it's a territory. I wouldn't need to do license reciprocity($$$$) or take additional law exams. Also, Walgreens has been hiring pharmacists in all parts of Puerto Rico for some time now. They are more locations available, with Walgreens, to practice pharmacy in Puerto Rico than any other state or the entire continental US, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
You think those home prices are a tad inflated? I see plenty of good homes here on the west coast for 100-150K. I mean if you're only looking in Condado perhaps you wouldn't find something under 350. I like living in a small town like San German, there's a good bit to do. But I do second what was said about working-- you have to be management or something high up behind the scenes to cut it. Just any old cashier is going to never get away from minimum wage. I've met nurses and teachers here making minimum wage
I was hoping to save up a good chunk of money during the meantime to get something nice.
I currently own 2 small, modest houses in Louisiana, but they will more than likely be rented out in the future to provide rental income for my mother... so no true liquidity from them.

What do you think is the cutoff price for "something beautiful"? In today's dollars, I don't think I could afford more than a million dollar home (even after saving for that long)... and who knows what that would equate to in 5 or 10 years?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,468 times
i say go for it. i dont know how much they pay a pharmacist but if you could be on the west coast you'd probably be doing great.

in regards to 'something beautiful' go visit and check it out.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM

26 posts, read 113,972 times
It looks like you are doing well for yourself, which gives you more options. I would say visit the island, if you have never been. There are plenty of Walgreens around Puerto Rico, make a choice of where you would like to live: In the metro area, rural area or suburbs. Living on the island, is very different than living in the mainland. Hope these help:

Puerto Rico Is The Place: Top Five Things You Need To Know When Moving To Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Is The Place: Top Ten Places To Live In Puerto Rico

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM

17 posts, read 114,669 times
A transfer or relo will be the better choice. Normally you will keep your salaries or get a raise Visit the island and see no tourist zone. WallGreens are everywhere so you may select a $150k home or up to what you get approved by the bank. Wallgreens is a good employeer in Puerto Rico.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM

45 posts, read 95,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlenerdy View Post
Things that I would like have: to have a job with Walgreens, to have access to a beach, to be able to use a foreign language(s), to live in "paradise", to own a pet, to have "the option" of having a family, to buy a nice home, to have good internet access, to have a car, to eat good food
These particular Walgreens might work for you:

Store Details | Store Locator | Walgreens

They are near the beach and I'm sure they have more English speaking clients than most of the other Walgreens in the island. You will certainly get to use you Spanish here. There are nice apartments and restaurants nearby. You might have a problem finding parking though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories