Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
Not even considering the fact that you have not done any research h about the island, and that you are planning to move somewhere where you have NO mob, NO place go stay, NO Spanish speaking skills.
Not even considering all of that, consider that you are BLACK female. No one wants to mention this.

I have lived on a neighboring island, I know the culture. Figure it out.
Good luck to yoh
How do black people get treated in PR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 AM

666 posts, read 1,291,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That could happen in the mainland.
Anywhere in the mainland? I suppose there is no definitive place in the planet that is crime-free, but don't fall in the mistake comparing a place with a 5/100000 murder rate with one about 30/100000. Puerto Rico is really unsafe right now. Cities in the mainland comparable are NOLA and Detroit.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM

9 posts, read 16,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Well you should have gone and studied the island before consodering a move.
Puertoricans from Puerto Rico a VERRY DIFFERNT from the ones in the US.
Puerto Rico is an Island where 75% of its population is White. Most white Puerto Ricans live in the San Juan Metro Area and it's suburbs: Guaynabo and Southern San Juan. Most also live in the Mountains in the West Area, we call them Jibaros since they are Farmers they are what American Calls Their Farmers: (HillBillies or Rednecks) only our Farmer have this verry Latin Rican Feel.
In Puerto Rico it's VERRY ODD to see a PURE BLACK like the ones in the US. The blacks in the Island are black "looking" but they are NOT Black because they have small thin lips, some have Nice Hair, Curly Hair, Straight Hair, Red Hair, and they have light brown skin.

In Puerto Rico Verry Black people are only found in Loiza and some can be seen in San Juan, but it's rare.
Blacks in PR are most commonlly associated with Domincans, or Americans. Verry blacl people are most commonlly Dominicans in our Island and they are a VERRY DISCRIMINATED GROUP.

If you are movig to our Island you better get used to getting LOOKED at by People well most STARES are NOT RACIST most are for Curiosity since the odds are you won't see Pure Black so often.

Many Employers are not racist but have some levels of discrimination and most often they would give an unexperienced white a job over a verry experienced black.

Our Island is NOT RACIST but you have to undersand why people will stare at you and that the East AREA of our Island is more friendly to blacks since most are mullatoes in that area (mix with white and black).
We are NOT a RACIST ISLAND, So you are welcome but be careful when trying to get a job.
It might be easier to get a job for you in Public Hospitals, Like Centro Medico or San Jorge Childrens Hospital. Or a Government office since they do not discriminate by skin color since they are for the less fortunate people.

Thinga you need to know: Good Hospitals: Hospital Auxilio Mutuo , Hospital Pavía.
Largest Mall and 2nd Largest in Latin America : Plaza Las American in San Juan Puerto Rico.
Business districts: Main: The Golden Mile Hato Rey, Other Business districts in Metro Area: Santurce ,
San Patricio Guaynabo and Miramar.
Touristic, Restaurant and Bar zones: Old San Juan, Condado and Ocean Park.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 47,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude826 View Post
Well you should have gone and studied the island before consodering a move.
Puertoricans from Puerto Rico a VERRY DIFFERNT from the ones in the US.
Puerto Rico is an Island where 75% of its population is White. Most white Puerto Ricans live in the San Juan Metro Area and it's suburbs: Guaynabo and Southern San Juan. Most also live in the Mountains in the West Area, we call them Jibaros since they are Farmers they are what American Calls Their Farmers: (HillBillies or Rednecks) only our Farmer have this verry Latin Rican Feel.
In Puerto Rico it's VERRY ODD to see a PURE BLACK like the ones in the US. The blacks in the Island are black "looking" but they are NOT Black because they have small thin lips, some have Nice Hair, Curly Hair, Straight Hair, Red Hair, and they have light brown skin.

In Puerto Rico Verry Black people are only found in Loiza and some can be seen in San Juan, but it's rare.
Blacks in PR are most commonlly associated with Domincans, or Americans. Verry blacl people are most commonlly Dominicans in our Island and they are a VERRY DISCRIMINATED GROUP.

If you are movig to our Island you better get used to getting LOOKED at by People well most STARES are NOT RACIST most are for Curiosity since the odds are you won't see Pure Black so often.

Many Employers are not racist but have some levels of discrimination and most often they would give an unexperienced white a job over a verry experienced black.

Our Island is NOT RACIST but you have to undersand why people will stare at you and that the East AREA of our Island is more friendly to blacks since most are mullatoes in that area (mix with white and black).
We are NOT a RACIST ISLAND, So you are welcome but be careful when trying to get a job.
It might be easier to get a job for you in Public Hospitals, Like Centro Medico or San Jorge Childrens Hospital. Or a Government office since they do not discriminate by skin color since they are for the less fortunate people.

Thinga you need to know: Good Hospitals: Hospital Auxilio Mutuo , Hospital Pavía.
Largest Mall and 2nd Largest in Latin America : Plaza Las American in San Juan Puerto Rico.
Business districts: Main: The Golden Mile Hato Rey, Other Business districts in Metro Area: Santurce ,
San Patricio Guaynabo and Miramar.
Touristic, Restaurant and Bar zones: Old San Juan, Condado and Ocean Park.
Puerto Rico is NOT 75% white.. 75% consider themselves white, but that doesnt mean their white. Puerto Rico is a very mixed island. They have different racial classifications over there. What Americans consider "light skin black", would be considered "dark skin white" in Puerto Rico. The opposite of the US one-drop rule. Just go to island and look for yourself. But you are right about the East side of the island being the "blacker" side.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 47,015 times
To the OP: Puerto Rico has the highest poverty and crime rates under the US flag, as well as other problems. I hate to say this about my Puerto Rico, but ****s bad over there. You should take a short visit and see with your own 2 eyes.
If you wanted to move there because of the tropical climate and latin feel, then South Florida would be a better bet.
If you wanted to move there because you have a high interest in Puerto Rican culture, and everything else Puerto Rican, then well... any Puerto Rican neighborhood in the US mainland is a good consideration.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua_Man View Post
Puerto Rico is NOT 75% white.. 75% consider themselves white, but that doesnt mean their white. Puerto Rico is a very mixed island. They have different racial classifications over there. What Americans consider "light skin black", would be considered "dark skin white" in Puerto Rico. The opposite of the US one-drop rule. Just go to island and look for yourself. But you are right about the East side of the island being the "blacker" side.
I live in San Juan currentlly.
Only 35% of Puerto Rico lives outside the metro area.
Well yes 75% are white. Spanish white. And Nordic. More mixed and spanish outside the metro area exept in the mountains where the Jibaros are whom are european.
In San Juan there are more nordic and Ponce more Spanish.
In Mayagüez is more nordic because of the French Hatians in the Hatian Revollution, the Spanish Dominicans, and Germans.
Basically if you lived in PR in the 1950's or 60's There would have been a larger number of nordic lookong people around the island but thanks to the US most moved either to the San Juan or The States.
Of whom 53% of PRicans in the Sates are white the rest are mixed or black. The reason you do not see much white puerto ricans in NYC Puerto Rican day parade is because we think that Nuyoricans are a perversion to our races.
White pricans are in Florida, Texas , Florida California or Illinois.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua_Man View Post
To the OP: Puerto Rico has the highest poverty and crime rates under the US flag, as well as other problems. I hate to say this about my Puerto Rico, but ****s bad over there. You should take a short visit and see with your own 2 eyes.
If you wanted to move there because of the tropical climate and latin feel, then South Florida would be a better bet.
If you wanted to move there because you have a high interest in Puerto Rican culture, and everything else Puerto Rican, then well... any Puerto Rican neighborhood in the US mainland is a good consideration.
53 % of Puerto Ricans in the US are white and fit right into the white suburbs just like my family members so you being an american citizen not a real puertorican whom are you to say which conmunity represents us. You say the Noisy ghetto people but I say the civiliced suburban puertoricans who nobody talks about at all.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM

7 posts, read 12,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Blacks are treated fine here, don't listen to any of these people who took a vacation to PR and didn't see any. LOT (and I mean 94% worth the '"lots") of pure black "looking" Puerto Ricans live in Loiza. Barrio Obrero in Santurce has a large black population because of the number of Dominican immigrants there. Fajardo has a relatively large black population too. Aside from big groups of blacks, you can go anywhere here and see blacks. I'M HALF BLACK, I live in Caguas. Here in Caguas, there is even a huge statue of an African man in the botanical gardens. Puerto Rican culture was HUGELY influenced by African people and any Puerto Rican you meet, regardless of color, was mixed with black at some point. Like someone said in a similar thread "Puerto Rico is probably the only place on earth where 'Africaness' is actually celebrated and admired." Come see for yourself.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM

277 posts, read 883,830 times
OP did you move? PR low cost of living caught my attention too, but the responders seems to think that you need a car there, and I won't drive. Further, I am a 33 year old black woman that looks for cities with good public transportation. I may be able to move my law firm there since I am an attorney. Otherwise, I will use my non-native Spanish to look for a job too.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 PM

77 posts, read 281,782 times
If you don't have a car I find it very unlikely you are going to survive in PR, let alone conduct a business. PR's public transportation system is basically non-existent. There's a mass transit train that has only 16 stops connecting a public Hospital, Univ. of PR and a few neighborhoods. That's it. The public buses are never on time and can't be considered reliable means of transportation.

If you are planning to move, plan on getting a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories