Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 28,526 times

Advertisements

Want to move to Puerto Rico... need advice on areas that are not expensive. have no car and no job. how much should i save to actually make the move. Don't speak Spanish at all.. so would this be a good move for a single black female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM

36 posts, read 80,577 times
My advise to you is to have the funds to get yourself a car as soon as you land on the island. Public transportation is not up to par like over here in the states. As for the job part, make sure you are taking a killer resume, or I feel for you. As for location to move too, what are you looking for? Peace and quite, or a night life?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverFake View Post
Want to move to Puerto Rico... need advice on areas that are not expensive. have no car and no job. how much should i save to actually make the move. Don't speak Spanish at all.. so would this be a good move for a single black female.
What in the world has possesed you to consider moving to Puerto RIco?

Were I you, I'd make time to analyze and scrutinize your consideration with much caution and reality. I'd make time to visit the island to:
- get the feel of what daily life is like
- mingle with the locals
- find out the difficulties of daily life
- travel on public transportation, mainly carros publicos

In case you're not aware, people are leaving Puerto Rico IN DROVES now a days for a variety of reasons. One main reason happens to be the LACK of good paying jobs coupled with the high cost of living. Crime rate is yet another critical factor which should be considered, and on, and on. But please, do yourself the favor of conducting your own analysis.

I personally know one British woman who arrived in Culebra Puerto Rico in 1998, sight unseen and unable to speak Spanish.

She never left!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

I personally know one British woman who arrived in Culebra Puerto Rico in 1998, sight unseen and unable to speak Spanish.

She never left!
She never left as in a good thing, or bad?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Unless you have any skills, and can speak Spanish, good luck finding a job with 14% unemployment

Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 28,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he123321 View Post
my advise to you is to have the funds to get yourself a car as soon as you land on the island. Public transportation is not up to par like over here in the states. As for the job part, make sure you are taking a killer resume, or i feel for you. As for location to move too, what are you looking for? Peace and quite, or a night life?
night life

Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverFake View Post
night life
For a night life, the the Metro areas will be the spot for you. Clasificados Online Puerto Rico Real Estate, Jobs Autos Empleos , Bienes Raices Puerto Rico will give you an idea for whats available in such areas, and how much it will cost you.

Good luck

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
If you've never been to PR I highly recommend what we here in the USVI call a pre-move visit (PMV). Spend a couple of weeks NOT in a resort hotel but in a simple B&B, find your way around the island to see which areas would best appeal to you, take a look at rentals to see what's available, check out grocery stores and supermarkets to get an idea of prices and availability, get a feel for the job market, etc. Basically try and live as much like a local as possible. This isn't an inexpensive proposition but if you just up and leave knowing nothing at all about island living it can be a really bad experience to find that it just doesn't suit you. If you decide to go that route (going "cold") then make sure you set aside money for a return ticket home.

As far as general expenses are concerned you should count on having to pay three months rent up front - first, last and security. You may get away with less but best to count on that. Plus enough money to feed yourself for a couple of months while you look for a job.

I don't doubt that He123321 is right in suggesting you set funds aside for your own vehicle as if local transportation is anywhere near as unreliable as that here, it's a total waste of time thinking of relying on it.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM

19 posts, read 64,474 times
You HAVE to visit before you move here. We didn't, and it was a disastrous mistake. Thankfully we are only ona 2 year tour that is almost up. Some people love it, a lot of people hate it. If you move down here without a PMV it will be the biggest mistake of your life! The same can be said with anywhere, though.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I can't imagine moving to another country sight unseen, with no car, no job, no place to live, no family or friends, and not being able to speak the language to boot. It is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 02-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories