Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the federal response to PR equal to the response to any US state affected by hurricanes?
Yes 41 38.68%
No 65 61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 03:24 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Puerto Rico is getting plenty of help and are not being treated as second class, but the fact is there are logistical difficulties in providing relief to an island. It's not like aid workers and powerline workers from other states can hop in a truck and help.
Also the fact is, to be frank, it's is a territory that is already largely dependent on government aid and government support. That's not any reason for them not getting aid but it contributes to the logistical difficulty of a population that is not self-sufficient or a local government that runs well. I mean, even in the best of times, Puerto Rico just does not function efficiently and effectively - power goes out, things break down, even without a hurricane. And we know what financial situation they are in.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:25 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Yes, Puerto Ricans are unjustly being mistreated, period! This is unacceptable!

Do you know how many people from that island fought in wars for the benefit of the USA? How many Puerto Rican mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters lost a loved one in the name of the USA?

This is how PR is shown gratitude? Unacceptable!

First, president Trump waited too long to say anything meaningful about what was happening in PR. He should had said something as soon as the first images of the disaster were coming out and he should had been on a plane to PR within a day or two after that. What type of president wait a week after a disaster strike to say anything about it? These are American citizens, they deserve the same respect as any other American citizen too.

Then, the help is taking too long. I saw the mayor of San Juan on television holding her tears and very firmly asking where the hell is the help? She kept saying that all they tell her is that its coming, but it doesn't arrive yet. The backup generations of the hospitals are running out of fuel, if the sick people in those hospital begin to die, PRESIDENT TRUMP SHOULD BE HELD PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT, in my opinion. I couldn't believe it when the mayor of San Juan said that she was told that they (whatever government agency is going to send the help) had not received a memo from her asking for help, as if she has the time to do that. She's currently saving lives with her own hands and the world knows PR needs help, what freakin memo are they talking about???

Another thing that has been bothering me a lot lately is how the airlines are treating the people at the San Juan airport. There's no electricity yet, no air conditioning in the hot and humid Caribbean climate. The radar is down and air traffic control has to do everything by hand. The airport is full of people that have been there for days, hungry, thirsty, dirty. Jetblue and United are the only airlines giving people cold bottles of water, useful information, and getting people out of the island through the few limited flights currently operating from the airport without charging extra. All the other airlines are gauging those poor people, then they are cancelling the flights and re-selling them new tickets for flights that eventually are cancelled again! On top of that they are not giving their customers anything, no water, no food, not even useful information.

If most American airlines that service San Juan are doing this to Puerto Ricans, who are American citizens, imagine what they are capable of doing to people from other countries in times of need.

Completely unacceptable and there are no excuses!

I'm so disgusted especially with the airlines that for now on I will only fly with Jetblue and United Airlines. At least I know they operate with humanity as the basis of everything.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Yes, Puerto Ricans are unjustly being mistreated, period! This is unacceptable!

Do you know how many people from that island fought in wars for the benefit of the USA? How many Puerto Rican mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters lost a loved one in the name of the USA?

This is how PR is shown gratitude? Unacceptable!

First, president Trump waited too long to say anything meaningful about what was happening in PR. He should had said something as soon as the first images of the disaster were coming out and he should had been on a plane to PR within a day or two after that. What type of president wait a week after a disaster strike to say anything about it? These are American citizens, they deserve the same respect as any other American citizen too.

Then, the help is taking too long. I saw the mayor of San Juan on television holding her tears and very firmly asking where the hell is the help? She kept saying that all they tell her is that its coming, but it doesn't arrive yet. The backup generations of the hospitals are running out of fuel, if the sick people in those hospital begin to die, PRESIDENT TRUMP SHOULD BE HELD PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT, in my opinion. I couldn't believe it when the mayor of San Juan said that she was told that they (whatever government agency is going to send the help) had not received a memo from her asking for help, as if she has the time to do that. She's currently saving lives with her own hands and the world knows PR needs help, what freakin memo are they talking about???

Another thing that has been bothering me a lot lately is how the airlines are treating the people at the San Juan airport. There's no electricity yet, no air conditioning in the hot and humid Caribbean climate. The radar is down and air traffic control has to do everything by hand. The airport is full of people that have been there for days, hungry, thirsty, dirty. Jetblue and United are the only airlines giving people cold bottles of water, useful information, and getting people out of the island through the few limited flights currently operating from the airport without charging extra. All the other airlines are gauging those poor people, then they are cancelling the flights and re-selling them new tickets for flights that eventually are cancelled again! On top of that they are not giving their customers anything, no water, no food, not even useful information.

If most American airlines that service San Juan are doing this to Puerto Ricans, who are American citizens, imagine what they are capable of doing to people from other countries in times of need.

Completely unacceptable and there are no excuses!

I'm so disgusted especially with the airlines that for now on I will only fly with Jetblue and United Airlines. At least I know they operate with humanity as the basis of everything.
$1 billion in aid has been tagged for PR. Ships are bringing in millions of gallons of water a day since the ports opened, cots, food, etc...satellite phones are being provided to towns. The US will probably be rebuilding your entire electrical and phone grid, neglected for decades, on taxpayers dime.
You're welcome.

The islands governer acknowledges logistical issues in delivering the aid. It's not a matter of how much aid they have at this point, but how they can distribute the aid. They need things like bus and truck drivers. Why don't you get out there and volunteer to help your island instead of depending on others to help you?

Old 09-27-2017, 03:52 PM

"Much-needed supplies are either in Puerto Rico or on the way, officials say, but the island's governor acknowledges that they can't deliver fuel and other material quickly enough. ...
"We need resources and security. We need a quicker logistical deployment," Gov. Ricardo Rossello told NPR's Mary Louise Kelly on Tuesday. "You know, the gas and fuel issue is not a matter of how much do we have — it's a matter of how we can distribute it."...
"We need bus drivers, we need gas station operators and some of them have devastation and are still locked down, as well," Rossello said. "So our focus has been to identify these bus drivers, to identify the gas station operators, to get them open and to start the transmission of all of this fuel."

Puerto Rico Struggles To Deliver Aid To Millions Of Stricken Americans : The Two-Way : NPR

What do they say? God helps those who help themselves? PR get busy, you have the tools and supplies, or they are on the way. We will give you money and aid - the rest is up to you.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
"Much-needed supplies are either in Puerto Rico or on the way, officials say, but the island's governor acknowledges that they can't deliver fuel and other material quickly enough. ...
"We need resources and security. We need a quicker logistical deployment," Gov. Ricardo Rossello told NPR's Mary Louise Kelly on Tuesday. "You know, the gas and fuel issue is not a matter of how much do we have — it's a matter of how we can distribute it."...
"We need bus drivers, we need gas station operators and some of them have devastation and are still locked down, as well," Rossello said. "So our focus has been to identify these bus drivers, to identify the gas station operators, to get them open and to start the transmission of all of this fuel."

Puerto Rico Struggles To Deliver Aid To Millions Of Stricken Americans : The Two-Way : NPR

What do they say? God helps those who help themselves? PR get busy, you have the tools and supplies, or they are on the way. We will give you money and aid - the rest is up to you.
Despicable tone from you. Of course, once the resources are there they will use them.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:22 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I realize this but this is the agreement between the PR and the US and it does not change the fact they are US citizens and are entitled to the same benefits as any citizen, including federal assistance during a disaster.

By the way, my co-worker is somewhat traveled, if you count all of his 20+ years of deployments in the US Army to Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

Oh, the irony. *smh*
Already agreed on financial aid, plus unless my sources are mistaken PR citizens have voted in favor of statehood.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:59 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

As an citizen and a human being, I am incensed and appalled at such an attitude to fellow Americans and feel that we are not doing enough or moving fast enough, as a country, to assist.

Is my view wrong or misguided, as my co-worker believes?
No your view is spot on..
your co-worker is a narrow minded, bigoted, misinformed Stupido, whose ears and eyes are closed, but their boca is wide open spouting hate and viperitude.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Despicable tone from you. Of course, once the resources are there they will use them.
What despicable tone exactly? The one where I said we will give money and aid?
The tone was set by the Gov. of PR - the aid is there according to him, and continues to flow in. You do know that was a quote right or are you a bit, shall we say....confused?

Old 09-27-2017, 05:39 PM

243 posts, read 224,864 times
I just say one thing. If the US doesn't want to help, the solution is simple. Let Puerto Rico be independent.
But I don't think is fair, that as a US Territory we taxed them, but then aren't willing to help them when they most needed.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 PM

828 posts, read 693,085 times
This sounds a little like a trolling attempt or a baited question to me. Of course Puerto Rico is not getting the same response as a state would. It isn't a state. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the response. I'm just stating a fact. I personally think they should have joined the union a long time ago, but some of them don't want to and others think their current situation is the best of both worlds. Hopefully now they will join the union so that if something like this happens again they will get the aid they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories