Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
As is the Tourist Industry.^
The tourism industry is marketing so it's pretty much their job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 06:08 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,674 times
Roger That...
they also serve as an alternate avenue of intel besides the other sources...
Best to take it all in from all sources and let your brain separate the wheat from the chaff.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Why do Blue States have the wealthiest people? Why do Blue States have the highest per capita incomes and GDP gross state products? Why do Blue States have the bulk of billionaires? By your logic, it's because they all love Democrats, right?

This is where the right wing loonies fall apart. When we look at presidents we see the same thing. The Dems see more job creation than the GOP.

Puerto Ricans are democratic leaning, and will be even more like this because of Maria. A statehood governor and a GOP president, both messed up badly.

Heavy migration to FL will bring that state into the Dem column. This is why Rubio is running around as if he is the governor of PR. Terrified that he isn't seen as being supportive of PR, give the mess that Trump and Rossello have made.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
all you had to say was Republican = BAD.......... Democrat =Good and save me the time......talk about a 5th grader argument.

what's your next novel argument? your Dad is better than my Dad, argument?
yes sad but true that its that simple. Its not that the Dems are good. Its that the GOP is so bad that it makes the Dems good! Look at how they wanted to deprive middle class people of their tax deductible 401(k) contributions by sharply reducing the limits!

Just so that Scott the IV could inherit millions estate tax free while he spends all day sailing boats and snorting coke with his equally idle buddies.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
How much help did your beloved Cuba and Venezuela send? Oh yeah, that's right ... NONE. Even when they had a 10 day window of opportunity to do so.

BTW if statehood is so bad why are you living in a state? Brooklyn is in the STATE of New York ...
When Sandy hit the NYS governor and the NYC mayor weren't waving their hands waving for FEMA to fix everything. Yes there was massive damage to electricity and much of Manhattan was without power due to the power stations being buried by a tidal surge of over 20".

I am trying to remember what FEMA actually did. What I do know is that what FEMA did was layered over what the governors of NY and NJ and the mayor of NYC were already doing.

The problem with PR is that their local government was ineffective. Even as supplies got to PR there was no system in place for distribution. Was some bureaucrat in DC supposed to arrange that too!

Old 10-27-2017, 05:01 PM

355 posts, read 717,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The problem with PR is that their local government was ineffective. Even as supplies got to PR there was no system in place for distribution. Was some bureaucrat in DC supposed to arrange that too!
Sure are a lot of folks on the mainland who state and re-state opinion as fact. You may think you know... but if you weren't there you're just repeating something you read or someone told you. Empirical data goes a long way.

For the record... Cliff Claven was a master of the "Little known fact".

Think of a Class 5 Hurricane like Maria as a wartime attack, electrical power is gone, water supply gone, roads impassable and several million people with limited or no food and water. Thousands needing medical care. Now picture this happening in your community, will your local government be able to function. Likely not.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Think of a Class 5 Hurricane like Maria as a wartime attack, electrical power is gone, water supply gone, roads impassable and several million people with limited or no food and water. Thousands needing medical care. Now picture this happening in your community, will your local government be able to function. Likely not.
^ well said

If a Category 5 hurricane hit anywhere in the United States we would be seeing a similar situation. The Category 1 Hurricane Sandy came pretty close to being a major disaster for my area.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
When Sandy hit the NYS governor and the NYC mayor weren't waving their hands waving for FEMA to fix everything. Yes there was massive damage to electricity and much of Manhattan was without power due to the power stations being buried by a tidal surge of over 20".

I am trying to remember what FEMA actually did. What I do know is that what FEMA did was layered over what the governors of NY and NJ and the mayor of NYC were already doing.

So let's see, no power, no roads, no communication, and Los of housing and food. Where were the truck drivers going to come from? Frankly sandy was a walk in the park compared to Maria and the island is much more decrepit than NYC (and obviously much poorer). Nothing short of a massive military influx would have been able to make a difference. As for sandy, there was an article today about someone living out of their car five years later waiting for fema.
This is all in addition to a fundamentally broken political system relying on local mayor's of varying capacity.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:12 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
So let's see, no power, no roads, no communication, and Los of housing and food. Where were the truck drivers going to come from? Frankly sandy was a walk in the park compared to Maria and the island is much more decrepit than NYC (and obviously much poorer). Nothing short of a massive military influx would have been able to make a difference. As for sandy, there was an article today about someone living out of their car five years later waiting for fema.
This is all in addition to a fundamentally broken political system relying on local mayor's of varying capacity.
Was there anything like this after Georges in 98? I was there and lived in Luquillo but I don't remember any political drama about Fema and assistance.

Were there problems then and I just didn't see it? Whats different?

Old 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Was there anything like this after Georges in 98? I was there and lived in Luquillo but I don't remember any political drama about Fema and assistance.

Were there problems then and I just didn't see it? Whats different?
I just spoke to my parents about George. I had just left for college, my parents were still working full time and my sister was still in high school. The reality was that the infrastructure was in much better shape, employment numbers and the pharmaceuticals were still humming along, and the island had not begun the exodus (it will hit earnest around the second invasion of Iraq) aka much higher labor participation rate. Power was restored to the metro area within 15 days. I recall similar outcome to Hugo '89, though only the metro and NE side of the island was mainly affected on the latter.

I still remember the 1996-2002 period as the end of the good times. I remember coming back home over school breaks and through the summer breaks; things were relatively pleasant to come home to. That went away post 2003 and certainly post-2010. PR today is a carcass of its 1990s self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories