Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:58 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,277,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Plop:

The Dynamics of Language in Puerto Rico

Lets see a few glimpses from that presentation, shall we:

Look what happened once Americans felt that Puerto Ricans were civilized enough to take control of the island's politics, the will of the Puerto Rican people became evident as far as the language is concerned:

Check the link above (in blue) for the complete presentation by Dr. Alicia Pousada of the English Department at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras.

with all due respect to DR. Alicia Pousada and her little power point presentation but unless she has footnotes and her sources where she gets her information, then I'm going to take it with a grain of salt.....my experience with the universities in P.R. is that you have lots of teachers that are independentistas and lefties that play too loosely with their own version of history to push their political narrative and agenda.

When the U.S. arrived in 1898, there was 83.7% illiteracy in Puerto Rico, that's a little more of 8 out of every 10 Puerto Ricans.......that means the public school system was a joke and non-existing under Spanish rule, only the elite class in Puerto Rico had access to a public education, and there wasn't even one college in the island....it wasn't until 1903, that the U.S. Federal government put up the land and funds to establish the University of Puerto Rico and the current education system of today. It wasn't until 1908 - The Morrill-Nelson Act was extended to Puerto Rico, making the University a "Land Grant College" which authorizes the use of federal land to establish colleges of agriculture, science, and engineering.
Of course, they had to bring American teachers from the mainland to deal with demand in the first part of the 20th century, where are you going to bring them from Spain after the U.S. kicked them out?

You make it sound like Spain handed Puerto Rico to the U.S. in 1898 in good conditions with a competent school system with good teachers and a solid infrastructure. It was the opposite. When you inherited a country with 83.7% illiteracy and extreme poverty, you have to spend lots of money and resources to bring Puerto Rico into the 20th century.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/hispanic/1898/bras.html

Last edited by Hellion1999; 10-10-2017 at 01:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 AM

Whenever you see the University of Puerto Rico and their 11 campuses in the island and you have students and lefty professors bad mouthing the U.S.A., just remind them who put up the lands and funds and resources to build it which many benefited for over 100 years and benefit today.

Remember the USA inherited a Puerto Rico with 83.7% illiteracy, no buildings for schools for the masses and no college in the island and some complain that the U.S. brought American teachers from the mainland to brainwash the people of Puerto Rico and force English on them, like an evil empire to punish them, give me a break!....that's the propaganda to push an anti-American narrative to Puerto Ricans.....the same people that complain that FEMA and federal aid is not good and not enough......I guess they wanted to stay 83.7% illiterate in Puerto Rico and in extreme poverty just to keep the evil "gringos" off the island. Reminds me of the old Italian saying of a woman with a Virginia Ham under her arm, crying the blues because she has no bread.Timeline: Remember NONE of this could be done without the federal government and federal funds.

In 1900, at Fajardo, the Escuela Normal Industrial was established as the first higher education center in Puerto Rico. Its initial enrollment was 20 students and 5 professors.The following year it was moved to Rio Piedras. In 1903, the legislature with federal funds authorized the founding of the University of Puerto Rico, and that day the "Escuela Normal" was proclaimed as its first department.

1908 - The Morrill-Nelson Act is extended to Puerto Rico, making the University a "Land Grand College" which authorizes the use of federal land to establish colleges of agriculture, science, and engineering.

1910 - Establishment of the College of Liberal Arts.

1911 - Establishment of the College of Agriculture at Mayagüez. A year later the name was changed to College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.

1913 - The Departments of Pharmacy and Law were established.
1913 - University High School (UHS) is founded to provide clinical experience and supervised practice for teacher applicants, support staff, and other teaching professionals.

1923 - The University Act of 1923- the University reorganized administratively it independent Insular Department of Education, provides the Board of Trustees as the governing board, and make the position of Rector as the principal officer. In 1924 the governor appointed the first Rector. The enrollment is 1,500 students.

1924 - The administrative structure and identity of the University of Puerto Rico are completely independent of the Department of Public Instruction.

1925 - Act 50 gave the UPR educational autonomy. This led to a total restructuring and the beginning of a period of rapid growth.

1926- The College of Business Administration and the School of Tropical Medicine were established.
1927 - Opening of the first graduate program: the Master of Arts in Hispanic Studies.
1928 - The San Felipe Hurricane struck the island of Puerto Rico and caused serious damage in the Río Piedras campus. Staff and faculty began a reconstruction effort; classes were off for more than a month.

1935 - The U.S. Congress extended to Puerto Rico the benefits of Bankhead-Jones Act, which provided funding for research and the construction of more buildings.
1936 - 1939 - Major structures in Spanish Renaissance style are built in the quadrangle in Río Piedras, including buildings such as the Tower Theatre and the University.

1966 - Act No. 1 of 1966, restructuring the university. The system becomes a three campuses-Río Piedras, Mayagüez and Medical Sciences, and a regional school management to group those that may be created in the future, under the direction of a President. Create a College Board with representation from the regional campuses and colleges, and renamed to the governing Council of Higher Education.
1967 - Creation of the regional colleges: Arecibo, Cayey and Humacao. Five more were created in the following years: Ponce (1969), Bayamón (1971), Aguadilla (1972), Carolina (1973), and Utuado (1978).

I'm not even touching the private Universities in P.R. which depend on Pell Grants and federal aid to operate, that's another chapter in this conversation or the public school system from elementary to high school which it didn't exist in P.R. for the masses at the end of the 19th century.

I don't want to hear the myth that the U.S. brought mostly American teachers from the mainland in the beginning part of the 20th century to fill the huge gap of schools and teachers in the island to impose the English language on Puerto Ricans, that wasn't the reason at all but if the natives had a better idea for education and resources to fill the huge hole in the education system they wouldn't had a 83.7% illiteracy rate at the end of the 19th century., would they?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Whenever you see the University of Puerto Rico and their 11 campuses in the island and you have students and lefty professors bad mouthing the U.S.A., just remind them who put up the lands and funds and resources to build it which many benefited for over 100 years and benefit today.

Remember the USA inherited a Puerto Rico with 83.7% illiteracy, no buildings for schools for the masses and no college in the island and some complain that the U.S. brought American teachers from the mainland to brainwash the people of Puerto Rico and force English on them, like an evil empire to punish them, give me a break!....that's the propaganda to push an anti-American narrative to Puerto Ricans.....the same people that complain that FEMA and federal aid is not good and not enough......I guess they wanted to stay 83.7% illiterate in Puerto Rico and in extreme poverty just to keep the evil "gringos" off the island. Reminds me of the old Italian saying of a woman with a Virginia Ham under her arm, crying the blues because she has no bread.Timeline: Remember NONE of this could be done without the federal government and federal funds.

In 1900, at Fajardo, the Escuela Normal Industrial was established as the first higher education center in Puerto Rico. Its initial enrollment was 20 students and 5 professors.The following year it was moved to Rio Piedras. In 1903, the legislature with federal funds authorized the founding of the University of Puerto Rico, and that day the "Escuela Normal" was proclaimed as its first department.

1908 - The Morrill-Nelson Act is extended to Puerto Rico, making the University a "Land Grand College" which authorizes the use of federal land to establish colleges of agriculture, science, and engineering.

1910 - Establishment of the College of Liberal Arts.

1911 - Establishment of the College of Agriculture at Mayagüez. A year later the name was changed to College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.

1913 - The Departments of Pharmacy and Law were established.
1913 - University High School (UHS) is founded to provide clinical experience and supervised practice for teacher applicants, support staff, and other teaching professionals.

1923 - The University Act of 1923- the University reorganized administratively it independent Insular Department of Education, provides the Board of Trustees as the governing board, and make the position of Rector as the principal officer. In 1924 the governor appointed the first Rector. The enrollment is 1,500 students.

1924 - The administrative structure and identity of the University of Puerto Rico are completely independent of the Department of Public Instruction.

1925 - Act 50 gave the UPR educational autonomy. This led to a total restructuring and the beginning of a period of rapid growth.

1926- The College of Business Administration and the School of Tropical Medicine were established.
1927 - Opening of the first graduate program: the Master of Arts in Hispanic Studies.
1928 - The San Felipe Hurricane struck the island of Puerto Rico and caused serious damage in the Río Piedras campus. Staff and faculty began a reconstruction effort; classes were off for more than a month.

1935 - The U.S. Congress extended to Puerto Rico the benefits of Bankhead-Jones Act, which provided funding for research and the construction of more buildings.
1936 - 1939 - Major structures in Spanish Renaissance style are built in the quadrangle in Río Piedras, including buildings such as the Tower Theatre and the University.

1966 - Act No. 1 of 1966, restructuring the university. The system becomes a three campuses-Río Piedras, Mayagüez and Medical Sciences, and a regional school management to group those that may be created in the future, under the direction of a President. Create a College Board with representation from the regional campuses and colleges, and renamed to the governing Council of Higher Education.
1967 - Creation of the regional colleges: Arecibo, Cayey and Humacao. Five more were created in the following years: Ponce (1969), Bayamón (1971), Aguadilla (1972), Carolina (1973), and Utuado (1978).

I'm not even touching the private Universities in P.R. which depend on Pell Grants and federal aid to operate, that's another chapter in this conversation or the public school system from elementary to high school which it didn't exist in P.R. for the masses at the end of the 19th century.

I don't want to hear the myth that the U.S. brought mostly American teachers from the mainland in the beginning part of the 20th century to fill the huge gap of schools and teachers in the island to impose the English language on Puerto Ricans, that wasn't the reason at all but if the natives had a better idea for education and resources to fill the huge hole in the education system they wouldn't had a 83.7% illiteracy rate at the end of the 19th century., would they?

We so need for PR to be independent after reading this.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
We so need for PR to be independent after reading this.

don't put all Puerto Ricans in one basket......I'm Puerto Rican and I have lived in Puerto Rico and I get frustrated with the Anti-American propaganda and lies from the left in the island....I had arguments and got kicked out of classrooms in P.R. because of lefties teachers with their anti-American agenda and the funny part is they have a job with benefits and an education thanks to the evil empire they despise. It's like bitting the hand that feeds you.

It's a battle and many Puerto Ricans including myself are not going to give up and give them the satisfaction. Although I sometimes share your sentiment so they learn and do everything by themselves but they are the first ones taking a plane to the states when things hit the fan in the island and keep talking their anti-american agenda from the states.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 10-10-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 12:14 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,707,807 times
Why would the US even want PR as a state? What do they bring to the table? Only one thing I can think of... D votes.

PR would just be a welfare state. Cut 'em loose.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Why would the US even want PR as a state? What do they bring to the table? Only one thing I can think of... D votes.

Sure, only if we can cut off one of the Republican states along with them. Cut off the White trash leeches!!!!!!!!! Let them eat their guns and Bibles to survive.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

like I say, don't put all Puerto Ricans in 1 basket.....we have many P.R. who believe in limited government, personal responsibility and work. I know many Puerto Ricans if given a choice of work, good paying job, keep more of their earned money (low taxes) and give them more control of their lives they would choose that over being dependent on the welfare state and being a slave to the government but you have to give them that scenario for them, it's just like in the states.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Sure, only if we can cut off one of the Republican states along with them. Cut off the White trash leeches!!!!!!!!! Let them eat their guns and Bibles to survive.

for a Republican conservative that you are, you sure use the left politics of identity and the race card.

What does color have to do with this? many people have a valid point of P.R. being too dependent on the federal government and it must be part of the statehood debate of what they are going to do to reform their central and local governments....it's a valid argument.

I'm Puerto Rican and I get frustrated at what I see on the island....I blame the federal government for their big welfare state and I blame that culture of "AY BENDITO" (victimhood) in the island.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
for a Republican conservative that you are, you sure use the left politics of identity and the race card.

What does color have to do with this? many people have a valid point of P.R. being too dependent on the federal government and it must be part of the statehood debate of what they are going to do to reform their central and local governments....it's a valid argument.

I'm Puerto Rican and I get frustrated at what I see on the island....I blame the federal government for their big welfare state and I blame that culture of "AY BENDITO" (victimhood) in the island.
Being a conservative in 2017 is about White identity politics ... I don't believe in that so I'm not a conservative. I'm done with the Republican Party. The middle of the road, pro-business Republicans have been kicked out and replaced with neo-fascists and far right lunatics that think the Bible should dictate government policy.

Secondly, how can Puerto Rico be a drain when the island isn't even eligible for half of the Federal programs and services that the states have? Also, take a look at the states most dependent on the Federal government ... they are all solid Republican states.

I have no qualms about reforming Puerto Rico ... and I've made several posts about this. I'm all for eliminating municipalities, privatizing PREPA, getting rid of the mandatory Christmas bonus, and streamlining the horrendous red tape that permeates Puerto Rico.

There's a difference between insisting on reforms as part of a path to statehood and spewing White nationalist talking points like Tom77 is doing.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Being a conservative in 2017 is about White identity politics ... I don't believe in that so I'm not a conservative. I'm done with the Republican Party. The middle of the road, pro-business Republicans have been kicked out and replaced with neo-fascists and far right lunatics that think the Bible should dictate government policy.

Secondly, how can Puerto Rico be a drain when the island isn't even eligible for half of the Federal programs and services that the states have? Also, take a look at the states most dependent on the Federal government ... they are all solid Republican states.

I have no qualms about reforming Puerto Rico ... and I've made several posts about this. I'm all for eliminating municipalities, privatizing PREPA, getting rid of the mandatory Christmas bonus, and streamlining the horrendous red tape that permeates Puerto Rico.

There's a difference between insisting on reforms as part of a path to statehood and spewing White nationalist talking points like Tom77 is doing.

Sorry you feel that way, I'm not white and I live in a RED STATE for decades and I never felt that being conservative in 2017 was about WHITE identity politics. Conservative never divide people by race and to pass legislation for votes like the Democrat party which you never call out because of course, you have a conflict of interest with brown people so you look the other way.....that is call tribalism. If you are going to call out the other side you must call out your side.

The reason the island doesn't receive 100% federal aid compared to the states its because they don't pay federal income tax but they do get close to the federal aid money especially now with FEMA and most people on the island don't give a crap about the status.

neo-fascists????? ouch!!! name me one law or policy by this Republican Congress and WH that is neo-fascist? NAME 1.....make the argument that if you do I will give you the argument but if you can't then you are just repeating the left agenda to divide more this nation into racial lines and that is not good, a reason the Democrat party is in trouble and is the minority party at the local, state and federal level across the whole nation.

It must be frustrating to you like it is to me that the latest statehood referendum in P.R. only less than 23% of the registered voters showed up to vote for statehood or independence and the other 72% didn't bother to show up and vote and didn't give a damn......if they don't give a damn then don't expect us in the states to give a damn either....that is the frustration I have for decades. You can blame Trump and the neo-fascists (whatever that means) all you want but deep down the problem is within P.R. and a culture that doesn't give a damn and then later play the victim card that they are treated badly because they are brown and that FEMA is not helping enough or too slow because they are brown.....the same victimization culture and anti-Americanism spread by the LEFT in Puerto Rico.

I have an old friend that re-married with an Independentista in P.R., he used to be pro-statehood in P.R. but now he just got brainwashed by the left in P.R. and during the hurricane he kept messaging me by messenger because the only thing that worked in his house the first 2 weeks after Maria was the telephone service CLARO that was privatized in the 90's and it works now before when it was owned and managed by the P.R. government it was crap. (that's another topic and part of the problem with the power grid in the island which makes most things work on the island like the water)....he kept bashing the U.S. and Trump that they are 2nd class citizens, they can't vote for President or have representation in congress, FEMA is too slow , FEMA is not helping enough, the U.S. military isn't doing enough, he went on and on...he even insulted me personally that is my fault for having Trump as President........I didn't answer, I let him vent.

at the end I asked him, did you vote in the last Puerto Rico referendum for statehood or independence or were you part of the 72% of the registered voters that didn't give a damn and stayed home or went to the beach instead drinking beer?......he answered, "I stayed home".....I told him then SHUT THE HELL UP! and ended the conversation.

see my point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories