Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Why would the US even want PR as a state? What do they bring to the table? Only one thing I can think of... D votes.

PR would just be a welfare state. Cut 'em loose.
Puerto ricans from the island tend to be a lot more complicated than bigots and republicans give them credit for. I suspect a lot of people have trouble differentiating between nuyoricans and islanders. Beaches, coffee, and beautiful women. Maybe you don't like those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
the condo we stayed at in august will have to be condemned. the beachside pool was washed away and the the water ate away at the sand under the main structure.

the building to its right broke in half.

i doubt there will be money to demolish these structures for a while. so i expect the ruins to stay that way for months. tourism will suffer in the area i expect.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
the condo we stayed at in august will have to be condemned. the beachside pool was washed away and the the water ate away at the sand under the main structure.

the building to its right broke in half.

i doubt there will be money to demolish these structures for a while. so i expect the ruins to stay that way for months. tourism will suffer in the area i expect.

do the owners of these buildings have insurance? if not, shame on them.

whatever the insurance doesn't cover, FEMA will.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:05 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
i doubt FEMA will cover a building built on the water's edge. and yeah hopefully insurance will cover. but in the meantime, holiday lodgings are out of circulation. and the beach front looks like beirut.

from waht i saw it seemed Rincon, and a good part of the northwest, was really doing well economically. this will be a tremendous setback.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 AM

355 posts, read 717,116 times
Individual FEMA grants max out around 33k, grants around 8k are more typical. No where near enough alone to rebuild / replace what was lost in Maria without additional private insurance.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:46 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Not to turn this into another statehood thread but this will be the catalyst which brings it about. Probably not under the present Orange Clown Administration but with whichever administration follows. When the tragedy of the hurricane is in the past opportunities will be ahead.
A new state with state with $72B in debt and a ruined infrastructure.

Don't think that statehood will be welcomed.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Musk proposal is a long term thing, FEMA money can only be used to rebuild the existing power system.
FEMA doesn't have the budget to fully repair PR. If that is what people think then they need to think again.

Puerto Ricans pay taxes to the PR gov't and don't pay income taxes to the Feds. So what is Gov Rossello doing with that money?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:

This is the point I've often tried to make regarding Puerto Rico. Either we pay for the Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico, or we pay for them when the move to Florida, Texas, New York, Connecticut, or wherever. Either way we'll have to pay for them.

I don't think that anyone objects to Puerto Ricans moving to the mainland. In fact the Dems would prefer them to move to states like FL so that state will permanently turn blue. They will also be glad if they move to NC, VA, GA and TX. The politicians in NY are already salivating to spend money on Puerto Rican evacuees as they come as citizens so able to vote.

If that is some kind of threat to motivate the Feds to solve PR's problems it isn't going to work. PR will have to figure it out the same way that New Orleans did.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Ah yes, American conservatism ... the ideology that depends on voter restrictions and gerrymandering in order to survive because nobody buys their message of ignorance, foolishness, and bigotry except older and/or less well educated Whites.
What you need to understand is that the Dems definitely want Puerto Ricans to move to certain states to ensure that the become permanently blue.

Of course they will make the right noises about PR and might even pretend to want statehood. The prospect of making FL permanently blue is more interesting. That electoral college is important.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
You're missing the point. The point IS to upset US state politics, so they're forced to deal with the "Puerto Rico question". So yes, making Florida run to mommy Congress and squeal like a stuck pig in their inability to handle the diaspora, is very much in our National interest. It's the only language mainlanders understand. You have to upset people's daily lives up here, otherwise they never do anything in the collective interest. We're too culturally/racially self-segregating of a Country to galvanize support for people who don't look like us, voluntarily. See the prior posts above regarding social conservatives being OK with LITERALLY disenfranchising fellow US citizens they happen to politically disagree with. You can't react reasonably to that baseline, you have to be equally recalcitrant in order to get things addressed.
FL absorbs millions of transplants from other parts of the USA. If absorbing migrants from PR becomes a big problem then it only reinforces the notion of PR as an alien entity.

The images that most stateside people saw was one that they expect to see in Cuba. While they don't object to providing some help to PR seeing them as being an integral part of the USA is another issue.

And to be honest if people in PR didn't think that they needed help from the Feds they wouldn't want to be the 51st state either. The mere fact that most people in PR aren't 100% English fluent suggests that they see themselves as being a different people from those in the 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories