U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 AM
 
989 posts, read 1,353,282 times
Reputation: 724

Advertisements

Outside of the San Juan metropolitan area, there are not that many Uber drivers in Puerto Rico. Why is that? Given, Puerto Rico's unemployment rate, shouldn't Puerto Ricans take advantage of this opportunity? Are there laws preventing them from doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,995 posts, read 40,434,812 times
Reputation: 42073
Do they have cars? Is there public transportation in place?
Uber users tend to be higher income, are there enough customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 01:04 PM
 
989 posts, read 1,353,282 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do they have cars? Is there public transportation in place?
Uber users tend to be higher income, are there enough customers?
Outside of the San Juan metro area, you don't have a lot of public transportation. There are no subways other than in that region. There is no comprehensive bus system that take you from Ponce to Carolina or even Caguas, for example, at least not to my knowledge.

Puerto Rico really needs to invest in its transportation system. Unless you have a public transportation and a strong Uber presence, its economy might only get worse.

It has dramatically improved other places.

In fact, Medellin has a better economy because of the metro system there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 03:01 PM
 
9,877 posts, read 3,349,329 times
Reputation: 4712
Most Puerto Ricans have their own cars and they have their public transportation of train, buses, and vans. Always been this way in P.R. since I can remember.


Just the AMA ( The Puerto Rico Metropolitan Bus Authority) has 31 routes, 10 hubs and 35,000 daily ridership.....then you have the van transportation that goes to the rural areas and you have your taxis and train system.


my advise is get a cheap car.....nothing better than owning your own car and you don't have to rely on anybody. You get to your destination faster and can use different routes to avoid traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM
 
989 posts, read 1,353,282 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Most Puerto Ricans have their own cars and they have their public transportation of train, buses, and vans. Always been this way in P.R. since I can remember.


Just the AMA ( The Puerto Rico Metropolitan Bus Authority) has 31 routes, 10 hubs and 35,000 daily ridership.....then you have the van transportation that goes to the rural areas and you have your taxis and train system.


my advise is get a cheap car.....nothing better than owning your own car and you don't have to rely on anybody. You get to your destination faster and can use different routes to avoid traffic.
Now that all may be true however an economy improves when they invest more in public transportation.

For example I remember when I didn't have a car I was glad that I had was within walking distance to a bus stop to take classes at county college.

Look at Medellin.

After they built the metro system there, the economy dramatically improved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 PM
 
9,877 posts, read 3,349,329 times
Reputation: 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Now that all may be true however an economy improves when they invest more in public transportation.

For example I remember when I didn't have a car I was glad that I had was within walking distance to a bus stop to take classes at county college.

Look at Medellin.

After they built the metro system there, the economy dramatically improved!



explain to me how public transportation improves the economy over owning cars?




Owning cars gives profits to the car dealers, mechanics, auto part stores, gas (creates jobs) and car taxes you pay a year that goes to the government. All of that the government takes a % for their revenues while creating jobs.


$1 U.S. dollar= 3,090.55 Colombian pesos.
The local purchasing power in Puerto Rico is 218% higher than Colombia
The average monthly rate salary (after taxes) in Medellin is $317.00, in San Juan, Puerto Rico is $2,147
Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentages (%), Yearly, for 20 Years Fixed-Rate is 13% in Colombia and 4% in Puerto Rico.


In Colombia for every 1,000 adults only 148 own cars. For every 10 adults, only less than two can afford a car.

In the U.S.A (Puerto Rico is included) is 910 people own cars for every 1,000. For every 10 people, 9 own cars.

That has to do with the economy..... the majority in Colombia are too poor to own and maintain cars.



if Colombians could afford 4 x 4 Pickup Trucks (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Honda) or SUVs for their bad roads and dirt and mud terrain they would own cars instead of taking public transportation.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 10-11-2018 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 04:58 PM
 
Location: between three Great Lakes.
1,695 posts, read 1,860,175 times
Reputation: 5598
Perhaps they prefer to be driving for Lyft, which pays higher, and treats its workers better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2018, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,841 posts, read 13,755,549 times
Reputation: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
explain to me how public transportation improves the economy over owning cars?




Owning cars gives profits to the car dealers, mechanics, auto part stores, gas (creates jobs) and car taxes you pay a year that goes to the government. All of that the government takes a % for their revenues while creating jobs.


$1 U.S. dollar= 3,090.55 Colombian pesos.
The local purchasing power in Puerto Rico is 218% higher than Colombia
The average monthly rate salary (after taxes) in Medellin is $317.00, in San Juan, Puerto Rico is $2,147
Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentages (%), Yearly, for 20 Years Fixed-Rate is 13% in Colombia and 4% in Puerto Rico.


In Colombia for every 1,000 adults only 148 own cars. For every 10 adults, only less than two can afford a car.

In the U.S.A (Puerto Rico is included) is 910 people own cars for every 1,000. For every 10 people, 9 own cars.

That has to do with the economy..... the majority in Colombia are too poor to own and maintain cars.



if Colombians could afford 4 x 4 Pickup Trucks (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Honda) or SUVs for their bad roads and dirt and mud terrain they would own cars instead of taking public transportation.
most wealthy places also have uber and public transit so I'm not sure I buy your argument. cars cost money which is aproblem in a poorer, older place like PR where lots of vehicles wouldn't even meet standards stateside. second, cars consume a lot of land which is a problem in urban areas but even in san juan the buses are ancient, the schedules non-existent, and service infrequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 PM
 
Location: La Isla Encanta, Puerto Rico
1,138 posts, read 2,978,389 times
Reputation: 1261
Uber is still banned by city ordinance, I believe, from servicing the main international airport in San Juan, as well as picking up in the front lobby waiting areas of the big Condado and Isla Verde hotels and casinos. By removing this big, consistent money-making routes and sources of income, the ordinance has discourage drivers from working for Uber.

Is Lyft even active in PR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 PM
 
352 posts, read 578,300 times
Reputation: 599
I was speaking with mi amigo Cliff the other day at the bar and he said it’s a little known fact that the reason Uber is not en PR is because of the accent. With a spanish accent Uber sounds like Hoover and everyone thinks you’re asking for a vacuum. Again Occum’s razor rules the day with the most simple of explanations being the correct one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top