Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 10,561 times

Advertisements

The last 2-3 years I have been considering a move to Hawaii... I've lived up north in Canada my entire life and now almost finished university with a bachelors degree in Computer Sciences it opens up alot more possibilities for where I could live.

The main reason I have been thinking of Guam is because I'm a surfer and Guam (much like Hawaii) has great weather. I'm not much of a party-person I usually entertain myself but once in awhile.. I like to eat out occasionally, take in a movie/live music ect.

Starting out in life, I have about 10 k in the bank. Hawaii is very expensive so I've been thinking Guam could be an alternative. What I'm interested in knowing is: how Guam is in terms of jobs open to professionals? and how is the standard of life in general?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:46 AM

6 posts, read 58,690 times
Guam is definitely not as expensive in Hawaii. I'm not sure about the quality of surf. I'm not a surfer, but I know a lot of people here do surf. Your degree in computer science will definitely help you get a job. In terms of the economy people in retail have been laid off here because our number one source of income is tourism. Our economy is not as bad as the US mainland though. It may take sometime to find the right job....but definitely not impossible. I hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 18,943 times
Hello,

If I remember right the island is surrounded by reef, which knocks down the waves (great for snorkeling). Sounds like you better visit first before making a big move.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,924 times
Default My god man, go to Hawaii!

I've lived on both the islands of Guam and Hawaii, and hands down without a doubt Hawaii is better. Much much much much much better. In nearly all ways (btw there is no real surfing on Guam). I intend to return and stay there until I die. I've chosen to make my home on Guam for personal reasons, but this is the worst place I've ever lived. I've been to many islands, and most island people are welcoming, friendly, and charming. This place is almost hostile. No concept of hospitality, and the worst waiters and service people I've ever encountered in my life. Try taking care of business at the department of revenue and taxation - you may need a drink or a shoulder to cry on afterward.Everything costs double, not just because goods have to be imported, but because local business have monopolies on certain industries and charge as much as they ca. When first apartment hunting, I was shown $1,500-$2,000 per month apartments so run-down and nasty that I've seen better section 8 housing stateside. This is because all property owners automatically set their base rents at military housing allowance, which is a ridiculously high $1,700. Try renting a decent (one that isn't filthy and will not get broken into) apartment on a regular salary - yeah, not gonna happen. Oh, and if you like air-conditioning (who doesn't when it's 90 degrees outside 90% of the year?), prepare to pay $400 or more per month for a single family home.I've lived in big, major metropolitan areas, cities people associate with crime. I had never been robbed - until I got to Guam. I was robbed on Guam twice in two years. And when I say robbed, I mean "inside jobs." Staff at the hotel and apartment where I stayed had access to my rooms (duh, they're staff). One day, after a short stay off island, I came home to find everything gone - even my freaking tennis shoes. When the cops came, I pointed out empty beer cans that weren't mine (yeah, the thieves made themselves right at home). Perhaps they should take them for prints....they LAUGHED. The police LAUGHED AT ME because GUAM HAS NO FINGERPRINT DATABASE OR FORENSIC LAB OF ANY KIND.People still abuse/ignore stray animals and enjoy ****-fighting here. The island's only pound is disgusting and in disrepair (have you been to the SPCA on Oahu? It's like a hotel). Guam's situation with animals is 40 years or more behind most developed nations.If you get sick on Guam, you are screwed. Basically, if you go into Guam Memorial Hospital for an emergency, chances are you won't come out alive. The GMH emergency room entrance looks like a triage unit for an army doing ground warfare in the middle east. The parking lot is packed 24/7 (when I say "packed" I mean, cars have to park all the way down the street and into a residential area). Why? Because people who have no money or insurance use it as a clinic - because they know they can't be turned away. That's right - they just don't give a damn. They don't care that people with real emergencies may suffer because they caught a cold and don't want to pay for the treatment. Oh, did I mention the hospital is not approved by stateside medical organizations? And that some of its former directors have been accused/convicted of theft and selling prescriptions?And based on news of late, it looks like our next governor will either be a nepotistic thief of a murdering thief. No, I am not speaking in metaphors - the locals will know what I'm talking about.Most locals will start getting a rope ready to hang you if you spoke of any of this (elephant in living room stuff) in public. It's because most have never lived any where else for an extend period of time, although more Chamorros live off island than on island (gee I wonder why). And they're really sensitive. Anyway, I'm here to stay, for a while anyway. And I smile and welcome everyone and try to be good island representative and try to pretend like this place isn't going to hell in a hand-basket. Advice: Shop at Cost-u-less; Other grocery stores, especially Payless, charge double or triple cost-u-less. Kmart may be the only place you can find what you need, but it's not like stateside k-marts - they are (I can't believe I'm saying this about Kmart) EXPENSIVE. They take advantage of us because they're the only place. If you have access to the stores on base, go. Get an ebay account if you don't already have one. Use it, love it, and never let it go. I saw something at Micropac (electronics store that RAPES its customers because they are sole distributor for certain popular electronics products) selling for $400 that I got on ebay for $75!!!!!! THE SAME DAMN THING - only mine was a NEWER MODEL!!!! If people here think they can separate you from your money, they will. You must demand lower prices everywhere you go - including the power authority, phone companies, cell phone companies, etc. Don't be ashamed. The service is so damn bad, we should get discounts for that alone! <br>

Old 04-07-2009, 05:17 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
So you didn't like it then?

One small correction, Guam does have a crime lab. They just built a new one actually.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM

275 posts, read 469,647 times
that is a very informative post.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM

27 posts, read 78,448 times
Enjoyed reading your post here about Guam, there were many similarities of places (islands) we have lived, that you mentioned. Rent prices being adjusted to the military BAQ allowance...monopoly of businesses, where else can you go for competition, it's an island ! Snooty, catering to the tourist businesses. Haven't had to deal with the crime you mentioned, however, on our island. We've really, really found that where "tourism" is the BIGGEST economic advantage in a place...you will be living amongst some of the greediest, superficial people on the planet.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 6,183 times
Just thought I would add the following: I lived on Guam for 2-1/2 years and loved it, in spite, of my home foiled an attempted burglary, the Chamorroan people laughing at you as you walk by and the influx of Japanese honeymooners. Love to go back and visit again.

The main reason for writing: I discovered my first month there that Guam means
Give
Us
American
Money.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:18 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
OMG, i toyed with Guam but you have convinced me to never give Guam another second thought (or ANY thought, period) Thank you for that informative post.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I know two guys who are living in Guam now, two caucasian American guys, they really like it a lot.

They are both guys who have lived abroad for years in Korea, Japan, etc. I don't think either one thought they'd like Guam as much as they did, but they do. One of them even opened up a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories