Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Just what I needed, more bad news. I lost my job on Monday. Now I only have 6 months to find something? That's just great. I know people, in my field, who have been out of work for 2+ years and they decide to take away the lifeline now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Just what I needed, more bad news. I lost my job on Monday. Now I only have 6 months to find something? That's just great. I know people, in my field, who have been out of work for 2+ years and they decide to take away the lifeline now.
I am sorry to hear that. I enjoy reading your posts in the education forum as I greatly respect teachers. I hope you get a job for the coming year.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM

61 posts, read 182,051 times
Yeah, somehow, 26 weeks does not compare to 99. Im in the 26 week group. I just hope we all get what we are looking for in the long run. Things are dismal out there. Top Ramon is good though, beef flavor is the da bomb.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snolife View Post
Yeah, somehow, 26 weeks does not compare to 99. Im in the 26 week group. I just hope we all get what we are looking for in the long run. Things are dismal out there. Top Ramon is good though, beef flavor is the da bomb.
I'm in the 26 week group as well, time runs out in 2 weeks. I'm going to be in trouble though, because I get sick (comming out both ends) everytime I eat Ramon, so I guess I'll just get to starve, since my DH and I don't qualify for any sort of government assistance because he makes a little too much. Even the food banks here have an income limit that we are above. House won't sell so we might be looking at having to give it back to the bank.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,455 times
The bill hasn't been defeated. They voted a "practice" vote to see if there would be enough votes to move the Senate revision through. That practice vote failed. So now Baucus is working on fine tuning it and is going to present a revised version early next week to the Senate. Nothing has been completely defeated and there still is a chance.

Also, the Republicans offered to do a 30 day extension, but Senator Reid turned that down. At least with a 30 day extension, that would help people out. I suggest contacting Senator Reid's office and letting him know your thoughts.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
The Reid turn down was a given, They refuse to use stimulus money for this purpose and has been this way for months and months. Im glad it did get turned down because I'm sick of all this 30 day crap. This is what they have done for the last 5 months. Just pass the longer 6 month one and there is no doubt that is it for this year as they leave for the year on Oct. 9th.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 AM

117 posts, read 218,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
The bill hasn't been defeated. They voted a "practice" vote to see if there would be enough votes to move the Senate revision through. That practice vote failed. So now Baucus is working on fine tuning it and is going to present a revised version early next week to the Senate. Nothing has been completely defeated and there still is a chance.

Also, the Republicans offered to do a 30 day extension, but Senator Reid turned that down. At least with a 30 day extension, that would help people out. I suggest contacting Senator Reid's office and letting him know your thoughts.
Lieberman, Nelson join Repub's to Tank Jobless Aid

No Clear Path Forward After Jobs Bill Fails Again In Senate

Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snolife View Post
Me too, my 26 weeks ends in two weeks. I like the spicy chicken.... guess I'll go stock up.. I hate all the salt though!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:32 PM

377 posts, read 588,944 times
I was about to move to Tier 4. I don't know if this bill is dead or not, but even if it passes next week, we'd have to wait for the states to mail us our forms, which will take time, then the time it takes to wait for the form to be processed, so I can't see any checks coming until the middle of July. If that.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 PM

613 posts, read 960,753 times
Baucus, Grassley reach agreement on doc fix - The Hill's Healthwatch

House Dem vs. Senate Dem battle heats up as extender bill limps along - TheHill.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment