Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,534 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what you can do if you have been denied benefits because you haven't worked 30 days in a benefit year. Am I just sol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Are you talking about being denied a new claim at the end of your first Benefit Year? In VA to be eligible for a new claim you must have worked 30 days since you first filed - correct. BUT what happens then is you are denied a new claim, they will re-open your original claim and you proceed on the Tier you are currently on with that original claim.

The state HAS to ensure you are not eligible for any state claim before you can receive federal (tiers/extensions) funds. SO don't panic.

If you have ended a Tier and didn't exhaust that tier before the cutoff dates that have expired, then yes, that's different, but from what you're saying it sounds like it's just the end of your first BY that is your issue.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks, I was freaking out. Basically I got a letter at the end of tier II saying that my benefits were ending and I had to file a new claim. So I did that and was eligible for another 14 weeks. So I filed and received my missing payments. Then today I get a letter saying that I haven't worked 30 days and i wasn't eligible to receive benefits. So I guess I need to call them to sort this out.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Yeah it's a regulatory thing that all states have to go through. Best thing is to get onto them and see if they can clarify that's what it is.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Will do thanks for the help

Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
Ohhh, this is helpful information (since the VA's unemployment website is of little help), as my benefits have stopped as well since my first benefit year as expired. I believe I was in the middle of Tier 2 benefits, since I had received 50 weeks of benefits: 26 (state) + 20 (Tier 1) + 4 (Tier 2). I was told to submit another application, and while I received a new monetary determination, I haven't been able to actually file any weekly claims.

So you're saying that my new monetary determination is just a bureaucratic step by the state to prove that I actually can't qualify for a new benefit year, and that they should revert me back to completing the Tier 2 benefits that I had been receiving? (And if that happens and I deplete my Tier 2, I won't proceed to Tier 3 benefits until Congress passes an unemployment extension?)

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 AM

If you haven't worked since you filed your original claim, they will deny the new claim and place you back on your original claim and you will continue on the Tier your were on, correct.

Also correct that until Congress passes new deadline extensions once you have completed that tier you can't move onto the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment