Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM

11 posts, read 56,968 times

Advertisements

So today while waiting in line at the unemployment office, I started doing some observing. Besides, what else could one do while waiting in line. I noticed that the clerk kept saying the same thing over and over to each customer "Congress did pass a new law and you'll be getting your check, it may be two to three weeks". Some people were happy, some people seemed upset. I wonder....could two to three weeks be a week TOO LATE? Will their banks not care? Could they find themselves on the streets in a week? Besides August 1 is around the corner.

Is this really happening? I mean we should be greatful that Congress gave us more than 30 weeks right? I mean..did they really have to give us any extensions at all? Did the clerk behind the desk really care about all of the customers? Did she really give a rat's behind about how many household's would go hungry? I mean she can't do much about it right? She's lucky to have a job herself.

I guess we're lucky for now, lucky till November right? What about after November 30th? What do we do after November? Are we going to celbrate a Christmas? A New Years? Will the republicans make sure that no extensions pass this time to spite everyone.

Will people really get to the voting booths and vote like the said the were or were they all talk? I guess we'll all see if there lies any true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 AM

87 posts, read 282,672 times
JMHO, but the clerks are probably tired of having to answer the same question 1,000 times. These kinds of situations kind of get on my nerves because the local DOL says "we're working on it and it may take a few weeks, please check our website to stay informed", yet people will still go into the unemployment office/call the lines and try to speak to someone to find out an update. Each time that happens, it's delaying something else that could be done.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
HMM, maybe something like this debate overseas is where Congress will be one day:

A useless service for NIS 2.6 billion - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM

392 posts, read 704,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochran View Post
Maybe, but continuing to go in or call them, when you haven't given them a chance to do their job doesn't do anyone any good.

I mean, get real for a minute. The law passed last Thursday evening. So as of yesterday, it had been 2 business days. Yet I read about people calling numerous times, going into the UI offices to stand and line and talk to them, etc. Even after states are saying "please do not call as it will tie up the lines".

Here in Ga, the DOL website says they'll get the payments processed by July 30th. I'm going to give them until then to get it processed. If nothing happens, then next week, I will call, etc. But you have to give the people a chance to do their job.
All we want is the truth, not BS. If people actually believed what the unemployment offices and governments are telling us, people wouldn't be calling and harassing them - it's because we are consistently lied to and a track record of either outright lies or broken promises. In the REAL WORLD, if a service company fails to meet deadlines, they get fired.. but government offices are immune to termination.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 AM

87 posts, read 282,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
All we want is the truth, not BS. If people actually believed what the unemployment offices and governments are telling us, people wouldn't be calling and harassing them - it's because we are consistently lied to and a track record of either outright lies or broken promises. In the REAL WORLD, if a service company fails to meet deadlines, they get fired.. but government offices are immune to termination.
If the DOL says it could take up to 2 weeks to process a claim, what part of that is "BS"? To me, it isn't bs until those 2 weeks pass and nothing is done. It's like I said above, Ga DOL's website says the money will be processed by 7/30. I'll give them the benefit of doubt and see what happens. Right now, if I call them, they'll just tell me what the website says.....so not only am I wasting my time, I'm tying them up from helping out people who may have real issues.

And what does continuously calling them do? You get the same answer each time and in reality, there is absolutely nothing that a front desk clerk can do to speed up your claim, nor can they give you the exact minute that your claim will be processed.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
I agree with the above. Just because you're not seeing the money as quickly as you would like doesn't mean they are lying to you. Even in your post you said while you were in line you heard them answering the same question over and over yet dumbasses keep standing in line and asking. Would it be more comforting if they gave random different answers to everyone? How in the world people expect to receive money so quickly is beyond me. I'm impressed that some of the states have been able to pay people already. Remember this is all the fault of the federal government and their inability to address issues until they become crises. Why wasn't this whole mess decided on before the programs expired?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
I think the agents at the UE offices are well aware of people's situation.....they're doing their best (for the most part).

In MY state alone (WA), 12,000 state workers including those from DOL and Worksource are staring down the barrel of layoffs in the coming months, and they are already having to take furloughs - so trust me - they're aware (and probably scared stiff they may be in the same boat soon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment