Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM

115 posts, read 411,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1812 View Post
First callback in 18 months. Applied for the job a month ago. The woman I spoke with said there's 20-25 people they're calling to get more information from, and I'll know no later than Mon whether or not I'll at least get an interview.

That 20-25 people really blows away the 5-1 ratio being bantered about.

Either way, I'm thankful for at least getting a callback.

Keep on searching!
Only 20-25 people? That's pretty low. Must be a specialized/niche job?

Either way- grats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM

115 posts, read 411,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
There's a job out there with your name on it. Remember that.

Well I've tried janitor (for the State no less, no experience required), and fast food worker. Clearly those jobs didn't have my name on it

Plus, with the number of unemployed in Houston outnumbering the number of available jobs since Jan 1st of 2010 (255,200 unemployed in our city in June vs. 166,000 jobs since Jan 1st), maybe they could put 2 names per job?

Texas is a huge state (for those unaware). I drove to Big Bend Ranch State Park for an interview as a Park Ranger I in December of last year. 13 hours one way.

Go Texas!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesterjojo View Post
Well I've tried janitor (for the State no less, no experience required), and fast food worker. Clearly those jobs didn't have my name on it

Plus, with the number of unemployed in Houston outnumbering the number of available jobs since Jan 1st of 2010 (255,200 unemployed in our city in June vs. 166,000 jobs since Jan 1st), maybe they could put 2 names per job?

Texas is a huge state (for those unaware). I drove to Big Bend Ranch State Park for an interview as a Park Ranger I in December of last year. 13 hours one way.

Go Texas!
It's sickening and totally disgusting.

My friend said 4 people walked off her job because they apparently couldn't handle it. It was just phone work, for goodness sake.
4 people!!! Guess they didn't need the money???

Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 AM

25 posts, read 54,113 times
Thanks!

20-25 is low, but I'm guessing that the number of people they're calling was pared down from the actual number of resumes they got. And it's actually not any kind of speciality job.

Hard to imagine anyone walking off a job at this point.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Unfortunately, I am not going to be interviewed.

C'est la vie!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM

11,328 posts, read 18,957,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
It's sickening and totally disgusting.

My friend said 4 people walked off her job because they apparently couldn't handle it. It was just phone work, for goodness sake.
4 people!!! Guess they didn't need the money???

"Phone work" could be:

1) Trying all day to get people to do surveys (not anywhere as easy as you think; I did it for a few months back in the early 90s downturn)

2) Working for a collection agency under pressure to literally "curse out" people who are begging you to understand their (more often than not) unfortunate circumstance.

3) Commission based telemarketing, especially for something "shady".

There's a reason "phone work" is often one of the easier jobs to get.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 PM

229 posts, read 574,352 times
Keep trying 1812. I got a call for an interview today for Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I've been unemployed for over a year and just keep plugging away getting that resume out there.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
Keep trying 1812. I got a call for an interview today for Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I've been unemployed for over a year and just keep plugging away getting that resume out there.
Thanks, Mary!

Yep, as the old saying goes, "Keep putting the puck on net and eventually you'll score."

Best of luck with the interview! Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM

229 posts, read 574,352 times
The interview went well, I think, but they are only paying $12 an hour and I am way over-qualified...BUT, since it is a receptionist position and I only live 3 blocks from there, I'm thinking they may just ponder and think about it. Sure, I would accept it, even though I was making $18 an hour before. The 3 blocks thing works for me too. But - we'll see. They'll let me know next Friday.

In the meantime I got another call - from a place I'd applied at twice. The first time was 10 months ago and the person they hired obviously did not work out since it has only been 10 months. So - I am hoping this will work. We did a good telephone interview and my interview with them is next Tuesday. I am hoping they will see that hiring someone younger does not always mean that you will get the quality or the staying power us 'oldsters' have.

So hang in there 1812 and start re-applying to jobs you've previously applied for, or at least look on-line to see if that position is open. You never know what can happen.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
The interview went well, I think, but they are only paying $12 an hour and I am way over-qualified...BUT, since it is a receptionist position and I only live 3 blocks from there, I'm thinking they may just ponder and think about it. Sure, I would accept it, even though I was making $18 an hour before. The 3 blocks thing works for me too. But - we'll see. They'll let me know next Friday.

In the meantime I got another call - from a place I'd applied at twice. The first time was 10 months ago and the person they hired obviously did not work out since it has only been 10 months. So - I am hoping this will work. We did a good telephone interview and my interview with them is next Tuesday. I am hoping they will see that hiring someone younger does not always mean that you will get the quality or the staying power us 'oldsters' have.

So hang in there 1812 and start re-applying to jobs you've previously applied for, or at least look on-line to see if that position is open. You never know what can happen.
Sounds like things are about to turn around for you. Good luck w/your interview next Tuesday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment