Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 AM

11,356 posts, read 18,998,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Today's vote on the bill to which you refer -- the Reid/Murray Amendment #4575 (Teachers/FMAP) to H.R. 1586 -- was a procedural vote for cloture. The final vote is expected on Thursday.

The bill -- with amendment -- authorizes $10 billion for an "education jobs fund" and $16.1 billion to extend Federal Medical Assistance Percentages funding for states.

As the bill stood earlier in the week, it was expected to add nearly $5 billion to the deficit. According to the Congressional Budget Office, after subsequent changes the Amendment would now reduce the deficit by about $1.4 billion from 2010-2020.

National Taxpayers Union - NO Reid/Murray Amendment to H.R. 1586
CDCAN Report #147-2010: Extension of Temporary Medicaid Funding Increase to States (FMAP) Wins Key Vote in US Senate - Clears Way for Likely Passage On Thursday - But US House Needs to Act | CDCAN
Finally, Deficit Neutral Stimulus | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
Yeah, I knew it was for "cloture" and there's another vote today requiring a majority but that essentially means it "passed" (cmon, would the House break recess if it didn't mean that?), I just wanted to keep it simple given that.

I also knew about the initial delay on Monday because it turned out it added $5 billion to the debt, but I didn't know (thanks for noting) that it actually REDUCES the deficit slightly......almost a "win win" (I don't think trading off food stamps for this is great but at least that tradeoff occurs in 2014 when (hopefully) we're well out of this mess.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment