Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 09:02 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,054 times

Advertisements

I filed my 13th week of regular EB for PA on 5/15/11 (Sunday--actually mailed Monday). I have been made aware that no matter what, EB in PA stops 6/11/11.

Does anyone know if I'm eligible for PA HUP EB, which is another 7 weeks?

According to the PA DOLI website the trigger for HUP EB is 8% and if it goes under that, payments immediately stop. But I've read in another forum of people who started receiving HUP EB, the rate went to 7.8% and then they received letters stating they'll be receiving HUP EB until June 11th.

I called the service center and they said they won't know until my EB balance goes to zero (which is hasn't because my last week hasn't been processed yet), and then if it's funded for the 7 weeks. They said I'll get a letter.

But I won't have any letter by the time I should file for my 1st week of HUP EB, this coming Sunday, 5/22. This is so frustrating not knowing if I'm going to get an extra 7 weeks if I don't find a job.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
I filed my 13th week of regular EB for PA on 5/15/11 (Sunday--actually mailed Monday). I have been made aware that no matter what, EB in PA stops 6/11/11.

Who told you this? This may not be true. It is my understanding PA has or will soon pass the lookback legislation necessary to continue payments of EB.

However, as of the end of this month, PA will have triggered off HUP.

Does anyone know if I'm eligible for PA HUP EB, which is another 7 weeks?

You are eligible for HUP through June 11. See below.

According to the PA DOLI website the trigger for HUP EB is 8% and if it goes under that, payments immediately stop. But I've read in another forum of people who started receiving HUP EB, the rate went to 7.8% and then they received letters stating they'll be receiving HUP EB until June 11th.

Even though PA unemployment rate was 7.8% for March, its three-month average unemployment rate must be 8% or over - which it was - 8.03% - which is why HUP continued.

However, PA's April unemployment rate is now 7.5% announced by the BLS yesterday,

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm

which now gives PA a 3-month average unemployment rate of 7.77%.

Calculated as follows:

Feb - 8.0%
Mar - 7.8%
Apr - 7.5%

23.3/3 = 7.77%

Thus, PA will be triggering off HUP this month. PA's last payment of HUP will be June 11.

But I won't have any letter by the time I should file for my 1st week of HUP EB, this coming Sunday, 5/22. This is so frustrating not knowing if I'm going to get an extra 7 weeks if I don't find a job.

Continue to file. You will receive HUP through June 11.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-20-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,054 times
Ariadne22,
Thanks for replying.

Re: the June 11th stop of all EB, I was told this by two reps at the PA Unemployment Service Center--the 1-888 phone number.

Re info on HUP EB, the PA DOLI website does not say average of 8% for 3 months, it just says it triggers at 8% and if the rate goes under 8% it triggers off immediately.

Thanks for trying to help me out. I will file my forms if I don't get a job. And I'll probably call next week to see if my account has been set up to be paid through 6/11.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Unemployment websites often provide incomplete and misleading information. The 3-month average unemployment rate is determinative for EB.

Fwiw, the bill to continue EB in PA is out of committee. The goal is to pass this before the end of May so EB can continue past June 11. This has no effect on HUP unless the 3-month average unemployment rate in PA reverses itself.

Tartaglione Praises Action on Unemployment Extension | PaSenate.com (http://www.pasenate.com/?p=3600 - broken link)

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-20-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment