Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times

Advertisements

Well, looks like I'm done. I threw my back out yesterday and it will take at least 3, (uninsured), visits to get it back to normal. I'm off tomorrow but will call the boss (he just scheduled me for 11 hours on Black Friday). I'm spending more on doctors than I'm making! Between my bad feet, knees and back, I'm just not suited for physical jobs like this. Guess I'm looking at bankruptcy now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Well, that's too bad. They can't find you a desk job of some sort?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
I am sorry to hear about how things turned out. I am handicapped so standing for a long time and physical jobs are out. Lots of work and jobs I can do. Desk jobs are going to India for 5 bucks an hour. Desk jobs are hard to find I know I am looking for one.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Well, looks like I'm done. I threw my back out yesterday and it will take at least 3, (uninsured), visits to get it back to normal. I'm off tomorrow but will call the boss (he just scheduled me for 11 hours on Black Friday). I'm spending more on doctors than I'm making! Between my bad feet, knees and back, I'm just not suited for physical jobs like this. Guess I'm looking at bankruptcy now.
Did you throw your back out at work? If so, I have good news for you. No bankruptcy now and medical bills. If this happened at work, you need to file an incident report with them and apply for Workers' Compensation. All your medical bills will be paid (most important) and WC will replace your income until you recover (not sure if all, but I think more than UI).

Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you throw your back out at work? If so, I have good news for you. No bankruptcy now and medical bills. If this happened at work, you need to file an incident report with them and apply for Workers' Compensation. All your medical bills will be paid (most important) and WC will replace your income until you recover (not sure if all, but I think more than UI).
My chiropractor mentioned this too. My ex went through WC and it was hell. I've only been at the job 3 weeks, but I will talk to someone about it. I'll ask to speak to HR when I talk to the boss.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Oh, and I guess I should keep it to just the back issues and not the feet and knees. Claiming too much will look fishy, don't you agree?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
My chiropractor mentioned this too. My ex went through WC and it was hell. I've only been at the job 3 weeks, but I will talk to someone about it. I'll ask to speak to HR when I talk to the boss.
WC is hell, but if you legitimately need it you should do it. As for only being on the job 3 weeks, so what? What if someone gets hurt the first day on the job? They are covered under WC. If you are injured at work, that is what WC is for. Also, WC is not some big "giveaway" to employees. Actually it is a BONUS for employers much more than employees because employers get a workers' compensation insurance policy to pay the claims. Employees are NOT ALLOWED to sue their employers for injuries and must accept workers' compensation instead. So it is much more of a bonus and financial protection for employers than for employees. Don't feel guilty if you have to use it.

WC usually is HELL for people who stay on it long because they are trying to encourage them to get back to work, not people who get hurt on the job, need the medical bills paid, and who will recover and go back to work soon. They usually don't have any problems getting their medical bills paid, because what WC gets crazy over is not medical bills, but replacing someone's income for a long time.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I guess I should keep it to just the back issues and not the feet and knees. Claiming too much will look fishy, don't you agree?
If you hurt your back at work, that is the only thing you should mention on the WC forms.

If the feet are just plain old foot problems that were pre-existing, then that is not covered under WC.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:40 PM

306 posts, read 605,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you hurt your back at work, that is the only thing you should mention on the WC forms.

If the feet are just plain old foot problems that were pre-existing, then that is not covered under WC.
Correct...and you will only be covered for the time it takes to recover whether it be 1, 2 or 3 weeks, etc., then it's back to work. And, you have to go to one of your "employers" doctor's, not your own personal physician.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
You may be eligible for UI, if the employment was unsuitable work for you, and significantly different from your base period employment. (your last job). Also, you could check into state resources, like voc rehab to get new shoes paid for, in order to keep this job, if you want to. Or go to Voc Rehab for training for a job where you would be sitting down most of the day, like medical coding. Just some thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment