Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times

Advertisements

From About.com:

Unemployment Extension

Thursday February 19, 2009
February 19 Update: The National Employment Law Project (NELP) reports that the economic stimulus plan (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) will continue the temporary emergency federal benefits program through the end of December, enabling more than 3.1 million additional jobless workers to receive extended benefits. The NELP also reports that "The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) also ensures that workers exhausting EUC benefits this year will have access to an additional 13 - 20 weeks of extended benefits under the permanent Extended Benefits (EB) program if they live in a state that meets certain definitions of high unemployment." This fact sheet provides estimates of the number of jobless workers who will receive extended benefits.

Information will be available on state unemployment office web sites for unemployed workers.
More Information: Unemployment Benefits | Unemployment Extension
February 14 Update: Congress approved the economic stimulus plan which includes $27 billion towards the extension of unemployment benefits. The bill continues the extended unemployment benefits program, which was scheduled to phase out at the end of March. The program provides up to 33 weeks of extended benefits to workers who exhaust their regular 26 weeks of benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 04:16 PM

336 posts, read 1,296,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
From About.com:

Unemployment Extension

Thursday February 19, 2009
February 19 Update: The National Employment Law Project (NELP) reports that the economic stimulus plan (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) will continue the temporary emergency federal benefits program through the end of December, enabling more than 3.1 million additional jobless workers to receive extended benefits. The NELP also reports that "The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) also ensures that workers exhausting EUC benefits this year will have access to an additional 13 - 20 weeks of extended benefits under the permanent Extended Benefits (EB) program if they live in a state that meets certain definitions of high unemployment." This fact sheet provides estimates of the number of jobless workers who will receive extended benefits.

Information will be available on state unemployment office web sites for unemployed workers.
More Information: Unemployment Benefits | Unemployment Extension
February 14 Update: Congress approved the economic stimulus plan which includes $27 billion towards the extension of unemployment benefits. The bill continues the extended unemployment benefits program, which was scheduled to phase out at the end of March. The program provides up to 33 weeks of extended benefits to workers who exhaust their regular 26 weeks of benefits.

So the way I understand the extention is ONLY 33 weeks total. Once that is gone, that's it. I did hear that there is a $25.00 increase, anyone else hear this too.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
I read this different. I read that the Feb 19th Update says after the 33 weeks, there is an additional 13- 20 more weeks determined by the state you live in? So who is correct?

Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I read this different. I read that the Feb 19th Update says after the 33 weeks, there is an additional 13- 20 more weeks determined by the state you live in? So who is correct?
Hi Steve, I assume you're replying to 0706772??

The way I interpret this, unemployed exhausting Tier 2 will be getting another extension as stated below called EB and workers initially filing a claim will also get extensions. I read it (my previous post) as twofold.

1. enabling more than 3.1 million additional jobless workers to receive extended benefits.

2. The NELP also reports that "The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) also ensures that workers exhausting EUC benefits this year will have access to an additional 13 - 20 weeks of extended benefits under the permanent Extended Benefits (EB) program if they live in a state that meets certain definitions of high unemployment."

Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 187,320 times
Default EB program

The way I read the ARRA act for unemployment, their was no funding for IE third teir after your 33 weeks are used up. They are saying 20 weeks are in play if your state triggers the 6% threshold. So in Missouri my state hit the 6% during the seven week all states got. However this is confusing, because I read a blog about Michigan recieving another 13 weeks after 33 weeks, but you had to have a claim year ending Jan.2009 they eplained claim year as 52 weeks from initial orginal claim . Which exempts long term unemployed like eighteen months. I have read many articles and I wish they was an simple explanation.
Scottie

Old 02-22-2009, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 117,985 times
Default I'm confused too

Quote:
While ARRA does not provide additional emergency benefits to
workers who have already received an extension, it ensures that extended benefits go to workers
who have recently been laid off and will run out of regular state benefits later in the year. The ARRA
also ensures that workers exhausting EUC benefits this year will have access to an additional 13-20
weeks of extended benefits under the permanent Extended Benefits (EB) program if they live in a
state that meets certain definitions of high unemployment (10 states already satisfy this requirement).
Delivering Economic Opportunity
I too have been doing a lot of internet research on this subject. I was downsized last February and alredy have gone through the first 26 week tier. I am close to depleting my 33 week benefits in early April. I am not sure If there will be this supposed 13-20 week extension though. But I learned today (Indiana) that each week I will get an extra 25 dollars per each benefit check I get from now on. But I only get 7 more....if this mythical extension goes through that could bank me until August.

The NELP brief seems to contradict itself in the quote. First it says something to the effect that if you had an extension, then it, "does not provide additional emergency benefits". Then it reads something about "ensures that workers exhausting EUC benefits this year will have access to an additional 13-20 weeks of extended benefits".

Maybe time will clear all this mumbo jumbo up. I sure hope it does.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 93,955 times
what 10 states qualify?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 AM

336 posts, read 1,296,000 times
I wish they would talk to me as if I was two. LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 187,320 times
Default Extended benefits

In the ARRA act you will recieve an increase of $25.00 in February, also under the extended benfits act which was changed you can recieve another 13 to twenty weeeks if your state 6.5% unemployment over three month period.The state has to adobt the TUR trigger act which most states except ten haven't. This is because under the old law EB was a 50/50 with state and federal. However under the ARRA act congress has shifted all expenses to Federal Government until the end of 2009 for EB benefits after you have exhausted the 33 weeks. Eleven states already have the eb triggered on by provision, 15 more states are quailify if the state adopts the optional TUR trigger.By moving expeditiously to pass legislation in the state it will prevent over 800,000 from lost benefits. If states are concerned about the EB trigger which would go back to 50/50 cost they can sunset the legislation in 2010 as 100% EB funding will only be elgible for workers and their families who exhaust EUC in 2009. I hope everyone in high employment states contacts their legislators to pass this before April when most will exhaust the 33 weeks.The law also exempts
workers who started collecting more than a year ago from filing for EB.
The states who are currently on for EB are as follows Alaska,Connecticut,Idaho,Michigan,North Carolina,Oregon, Pennslyvania,Puerto Rico,Rhode Island,Washington. I think their will be many more states as our economy weakens. As mention above 15 other state quailify but have not enacted legislation. Contact your state legislator to move on this so you don't lose out. This is in an article I found NELP February 16th Question and answers it was hidden under several tabs.

Scottie in Missouri

Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 62,981 times
Default I can spell it out.

Yes all the mombo jumbo is mind boggling. But here it is. Nelp has it correct, but the wording is off.

Bad news
They state 'While ARRA does not provide additional emergency benefits to workers who have already received an extension,"

The good news.

"it ensures that extended benefits go to workers
who have recently been laid off and will run out of regular state benefits later in the year. The ARRA also ensures that workers exhausting EUC benefits this year will have access to an additional 13-20
weeks of extended benefits under the permanent Extended Benefits (EB) program if they live in a state that meets certain definitions of high unemployment (10 states already satisfy this requirement)."

So whats happening is the following in my words.

Timeline
1.Your laid off
2.You receive your first 26 weeks of benefits
3. Under new law (2/17/09) if your state has a 6% or more unemployment rate & if you exhaust your regular benefits before the new date of 12/31/2009,you will be eligible for 33 weeks (2 teir= 20+13 weeks) of (EUC) Emergency Unemployment Compensation plus as long as your state is over the required 6%.
4. Also with the ARRA the government is basically reactivating an old law.

FEDERAL-STATE EXTENDED UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION ACT OF 1970 or (EB)

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...aw_for_web.pdf

So after you exhausted both your regular & (EUC) you may quality for (EB) depending on your states status.

So to wrap this up. Its 1.regular, 2.(EUC), then 3.(EB) again if your state
qualifies.

Here's more info:

Extended Unemployment Benefits | Emergency Unemployment Compensation

PS: I'm in the same boat, I live in Nevada were its over 9%. March 5,2009 will be a year since I last worked. Lord knows I try. Just remember we are Americans & we can can get through this troubled time. I hope I helped you understand whats going on with our government as far as unemployment benefits. Now if they can just get medical benefits to those of us that don't qualify for the new Cobra law.

Last edited by sudden_impac; 02-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: fix spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment