Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM

111 posts, read 420,071 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the congress with pass the additional extension for those who are about to run out so they will be able to continue to look for work instead these families ending up homeless and on welfare. Of ALL the tax funded money handed out, helping the unemployed directly is as close as you can get to helping everyday American families put food on their table and keep a roof overhead. There is a requirement to be actively searching for work, these are recently employed people who are able to offer America a workforce. Our nation and economy just needs to provide the opportunity for its citizens. With Trillions of dollars being barrowed against the future citizens of this nation there are FEW other causes that go directly to worthy citizens than those who have been working and want to work but simply cannot find opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Definca View Post
Hopefully the congress with pass the additional extension for those who are about to run out so they will be able to continue to look for work instead these families ending up homeless and on welfare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Representative Jim McDermott, Democrat of Washington, who is chairman of a House panel with authority over the Unemployment Insurance program, has announced his intention to introduce a bill to provide 13 extra weeks of Unemployment Insurance benefits to workers in the highest unemployment states -– states with unemployment rates above 9%.
Agree -- but I am curious what restrictions for eligibility will be in the bill when it is proposed and when it finally passes. McDermott's staff has announced that the state unemployment level would be the initial requirement for the extension, but so far no one at the federal or at the state level has said anything about tighter restrictions for individuals claimants.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 PM

46 posts, read 70,232 times
I am also curious. I have a feeling that this will end up not being another seperate extension itself ( like with a new name ) but simply extending the term of EB for 13 more weeks. So perhaps, the current guidelines will remain effective without becoming more strict.Think of it this way, the people on EB still can't find a job so why restrict it even more and knock a lot of people out of the program that really need it. It is clear how hard it is out there. More time would be useful. But then again, who knows.

When it is oficially presented tomorrow, perhaps they will review the proposal and after thier break, in September, they may ultimately agree to extend the term of EB. Just like when tier 1 was initially 13 weeks and then was extened up to 20 weeks. at that point, it wasn't called tier 2. It was still tier 1, just longer. after that ended, then tier 2 came out.

maybe EB will just be lengthened. Just a guess. I could be very wrong.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedowney1 View Post
Think of it this way, the people on EB still can't find a job so why restrict it even more and knock a lot of people out of the program that really need it.
Why? In a word -- funding. The government -- federal and state -- do not have unlimited funds, and unfortunately they may have to restrict eligibility simply because they can't afford to give benefits to everyone.

That was why EB was not made available to everyone who qualified for Tier I and Tier II.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 70,232 times
yes you are right. It needs to be regulated. Funding must be very limited/non existant at this point. I wasn't thinking about it the right way.

If it was up to me though and I had the choice, I would rather try to give everybody currently on EB 7 more weeks VS cuting people out and only giving some of them 13 weeks.

I know 7 doesn't seem like much more but its just like when tier 1 went from 13 to 20. at the time, that wasnt a huge increase.

This way, more people can get a little bit of help at least.

It makes sense and double the amount of people could get help. Even if it is not all people on eb, 7 weeks can spead over double the amount of people that 13 can ( if they have regulations in mind )

if there is a regulation imposed on a possible new extension, my guess is that the extension will only be available to those wo were clearly "laid off". I mean,that is a sure way for them to limit who gets it right? (since funding is a big issue like diorgirl has already mentioned )

again, If it was my choice and had the green light to add more weeks personally I would rather give more people 7 weeks than less getting 13.

Last edited by katedowney1; 07-29-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:51 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,740,041 times
I'm a little peeved about the whole thing. Some people on UI are sandbagging and aren't taking work that is out there...others, like my wife(laid off teacher), wants to work and keeps looking, but there are so many teachers laid off everywhere that there is NOTHING for any of them. We have a 1yr old girl so for her to go back to work it's got to pay enough to cover some childcare.
This all amounts to a larger and growing problemon a national scale, if they don't keep extending benefits, more and more people are going to go bankrupt, and there will be no recovery..on top of that..I don't feel the same people that sold out our jobs overseas, inflated our cost of living, and took bailouts from the government, resulting in funding cuts that cost responsible people their jobs, have the right to come foreclose and kick me out of my home. I will stand my ground or go out in a body bag.
If you just roll over and let everything go you've let the fat cat eat your cake too...
Sorry to get off the subject but I'm very angry over these last 8 years of B.S. We get upwards of 20% of the population that starts falling off EUC with no work it's going to get ugly...and it should.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I'm a little peeved about the whole thing. Some people on UI are sandbagging and aren't taking work that is out there...others, like my wife(laid off teacher), wants to work and keeps looking, but there are so many teachers laid off everywhere that there is NOTHING for any of them. We have a 1yr old girl so for her to go back to work it's got to pay enough to cover some childcare.
This all amounts to a larger and growing problemon a national scale, if they don't keep extending benefits, more and more people are going to go bankrupt, and there will be no recovery..on top of that..I don't feel the same people that sold out our jobs overseas, inflated our cost of living, and took bailouts from the government, resulting in funding cuts that cost responsible people their jobs, have the right to come foreclose and kick me out of my home. I will stand my ground or go out in a body bag.
If you just roll over and let everything go you've let the fat cat eat your cake too...
Sorry to get off the subject but I'm very angry over these last 8 years of B.S. We get upwards of 20% of the population that starts falling off EUC with no work it's going to get ugly...and it should.
I see you are located in Washington State. Have you contacted your local representatives and senators to stress the urgency of their support for continued extensions?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,104 times
are there any new eb extensions in the works as of 08/09 and for how long will they be.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arverne View Post
are there any new eb extensions in the works as of 08/09 and for how long will they be.
I've started another thread on this subject of the next round of extensions at Unemployment Benefits: Extension After EB

Here is a copy of the update that I posted there last night:

A post in another thread supplies this link to McDermott's proposed bill to further extend Unemployment benefits beyond the current EB:

Congressman Jim McDermott - News (http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/pr090730.shtml - broken link)

Of particular interest to New Jerseyans about this draft of the bill -- New Jersey's current unemployment level would not trigger the extended benefits.

The report that appears on McDermott's website (which is at the link above) states:

"The legislation also would provide an additional 13 weeks of EUC benefits in States with a three-month average total unemployment rate of at least 9 percent or an insured unemployment rate of at least 6 percent.

• Under current unemployment rates, this provision would extend benefits for an estimated one million workers who would otherwise run out of benefits by the end of the year in States with high unemployment.
• States that now meet the required trigger for additional weeks of benefits include AL, CA, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, MS, NV, NC, OH, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, TN, WA, & WI. Additionally, a number of other States are within one percentage point of this standard and may meet it within the coming months, including AK, AZ, DE, ME, MA, MO, NJ, NY & WV. States with lower unemployment rates may still trigger additional weeks under the current EUC and EB programs if unemployment rates rise."

For more detail about McDermott's proposed bill, see the thread in this forum:Unemployment Benefits: Extension After EB

Old 07-31-2009, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,052 times
In P.A. THERE is 72 wks of unemployment, when EB is over , there is no other,.. we have now people losing there homes and going on food stamps.. WE AS PEOPLE , NEED TO START FIGHTING BACK, THE GOVENOR OF PA. NEEDS TO DO HIS JOB OR LEAVE HIS POSITION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment