Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 PM

18 posts, read 24,489 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving either to DC or Maryland. I have family in DC but was hoping to get an apartment in Maryland, because it is much cheaper.

However, if I move to Maryland, I am only eligible for 2 more weeks of unemployment. For DC, I can get the full amount (around 13 more weeks, so not a small amount).

If I move to Maryland, but put my family's DC address as my new address on the unemployment website, will they verify it? What if the change of address form through the post office goes to my Maryland address?

Has anyone had issues with having to verify a new address after moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinglizards View Post
I am thinking of moving either to DC or Maryland. I have family in DC but was hoping to get an apartment in Maryland, because it is much cheaper.

However, if I move to Maryland, I am only eligible for 2 more weeks of unemployment. For DC, I can get the full amount (around 13 more weeks, so not a small amount).

If I move to Maryland, but put my family's DC address as my new address on the unemployment website, will they verify it? What if the change of address form through the post office goes to my Maryland address?

Has anyone had issues with having to verify a new address after moving?
Aren't you collecting EB in New York? Will you be using NY employer contacts on your work-search form?

In NJ when you change your address, they flag your account. The next time you claim, they will say you are receiving credit for the weeks claimed. You must speak to an agent to verify the new address before they release any benefits.

In NJ the claim form they mail to you is RETURN SERVICE REQUESTED, so it does not get forwarded to a new address and gets returned to the UI office.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM

No, I will be putting the employers in DC/MD/VA that I apply to. That's what I'm supposed to do, right?

What does the address verification consist of?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,011 times
Default One never knows...where?

What state do you collect from? I would speculate that if your EB is from State "A", your job search is also in the same area as State "A", or a commutable distance.
I only know that in NJ they verify a COA verbally on the phone and it could be different in the state where you are claiming from/residing.
Does your state's unemployment web site have any information on the procedure for a COA?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM

87 posts, read 142,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinglizards View Post

Has anyone had issues with having to verify a new address after? moving?
This isn't the place to find out how to scam the unemployment office. Whatever your local office says what happens...is what happens. You wanna get clever, take it up with them.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM

I am not trying to scam the office...I haven't even moved yet. If I have to live in DC to continue to collect, I will move to DC temporarily--however, the apartments in MD are more affordable.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:55 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Ya know, based on your earlier posts, you are in your last 13 weeks of EB. If you move, you'll get at least two of those weeks. So, now we're down to 11 weeks, maybe less, depending on when you move. And then, NY may trigger off the last 7 weeks of EB as was discussed earlier with you on another thread. So, now we're down to 4 weeks.

Is 4 weeks of EB worth all this maneuvering? If you are caught, you will be required to pay it back and then some. Possibly penalties above and beyond the amount you received once you moved.

As Shakespeare said "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." I learned that lesson at 16 years of age. It's never worth it.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM

NY is not going to trigger of the last 7 weeks. The unemployment rate would have to dip more drastically than it has in the last several years, and it would be the most impressive showing of any state.

So, it would be 10 weeks, which would pay for the entirety of my relocation to an area that has lots of jobs in my field, where I would hopefully find employment quickly.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 PM

" Does your state's unemployment web site have any information on the procedure for a COA?"

It just says to update your information in the system. No mention of calling or having benefits delayed (I've moved once before and there was no delay, no verification) and certainly no mention of transferring benefits to a different state.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:06 PM

I guess I will just stay with family in DC for a couple of months...sigh...I was hoping to get a small room of my own in a cheap area of MD while I looked for jobs so as not to be a burden in an already cramped household.

I firmly believe relocation is the best bet for me at this time...cheaper rents, family, lower unemployment rate, lots of jobs in my field...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment