Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM

42 posts, read 122,966 times

Advertisements

I even made a new name because I am really embarrassed about the situation.

I resigned from my job due to the work environment and training that I never received for the position. I ended up seeing a therapist from the stress and physical ailments I got from the job. From my sessions my therapist and I discussed that this wasn't a healthy work environment for me and that if I could, to get out. Of course he never actually said "You should..." or "I recommend....", but that was essentially what he was saying.

Anyway I wasn't going to file for unemployment because I never thought you could get it if you resigned. I then read EDD's website and it appears that you can get unemployment if you resigned in some cases. I decided to file and had my phone interview today.

The interviewer stated that getting a letter from my therapist would help my case. I have been trying to contact him for the last 2 weeks now and emailed him 2x, and called the secretary with a message (they won't link me direct to voicemail). She said that they need it by Tuesday at 3.

When I shared with her why I quit my job, I told her the truth. I didn't want to burn bridges with anyone at the job so I gave a month's notice. My two supervisors said that I could list them both as references.

I realized now not to list this job on a resume. The good thing is, I was volunteering while I was working as well as now in something related to my field so that could help me explain a paid "work gap". I graduated from college in June and many people in my program didn't get jobs and are just volunteering.

I am now really nervous about two things and have thrown up actually from this...
1. Once my therapist calls me back, he might say he never gave me validation to resign, and would either say he won't write a letter, or would say things which wouldn't help my case.
2. Since EDD will call up my supervisors and I guess tell them why I quit and why I am filing for unemployment, I figure I just did burn bridges and I could kiss my references good bye.

What exactly does EDD ask employers when they call? If you resigned from a job due to work environment, hostile treatment, and lack of training, would you still use your recent supervisors as references despite what you said to EDD about them?

I really made a mess out of things, and know I now have a scarlet letter for the rest of my career life.

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:06 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Sounds to me as if this is a good lesson for you about the world of work, which is often cruel and ugly. Collect the unemployment if approved for it, but put the rest of it behind you and start anew. Don't use any of the people at the previous job for references and don't - as you've said- put them on a resume.

You said you just graduated from college, so if you are young, you are in a good position to put this mistake behind you.

Best of luck to you- and don't worry- this too shall pass.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Sounds to me as if this is a good lesson for you about the world of work, which is often cruel and ugly. Collect the unemployment if approved for it, but put the rest of it behind you and start anew. Don't use any of the people at the previous job for references and don't - as you've said- put them on a resume.

You said you just graduated from college, so if you are young, you are in a good position to put this mistake behind you.

Best of luck to you- and don't worry- this too shall pass.
Thank you for your feedback. I am frightened to death that for me to receive unemployment (which would basically pay my health insurance for 8 months) two parties have to be involved. Not worried as much about my therapist, but that my supervisors would have different opinions of what I experienced. I realize I have no control anymore for this and that I am at the mercy of both parties.

I have so many regrets in my life. I don't regret leaving the job because I was miserable and couldn't handle the responsibilities of the job. I now regret applying for unemployment because I now officially burned bridges with my ex supervisors.

It was either try to get unemployment, but not have references for the last job, or don't apply for unemployment, but have references. I think I shouldn't have bothered now with applying for unemployment since the outcome isn't pretty.

I never have applied for unemployment before so I didn't know what I was in for.

I would never advise people to quit a job especially in this economy unless you have significant funds and/or another job lined up. I felt though it was in my best interest to quit.

I am really going to be walking on eggshells over this until I get a new job.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have a relative that was in a very similar situation, but her therapist did recommend resignation and wrote a letter to that effect that she used to get unemployment. If yours is not returning calls, then I doubt they will support your efforts to get unemployment. The employer does also have a chance to respond to your claims.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times
You may want to claim the position was not a good fit. Your references may agree with you.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDFan View Post
I even made a new name because I am really embarrassed about the situation.

I resigned from my job due to the work environment and training that I never received for the position. I ended up seeing a therapist from the stress and physical ailments I got from the job. From my sessions my therapist and I discussed that this wasn't a healthy work environment for me and that if I could, to get out. Of course he never actually said "You should..." or "I recommend....", but that was essentially what he was saying.

Anyway I wasn't going to file for unemployment because I never thought you could get it if you resigned. I then read EDD's website and it appears that you can get unemployment if you resigned in some cases. I decided to file and had my phone interview today.

The interviewer stated that getting a letter from my therapist would help my case. I have been trying to contact him for the last 2 weeks now and emailed him 2x, and called the secretary with a message (they won't link me direct to voicemail). She said that they need it by Tuesday at 3.

When I shared with her why I quit my job, I told her the truth. I didn't want to burn bridges with anyone at the job so I gave a month's notice. My two supervisors said that I could list them both as references.

I realized now not to list this job on a resume. The good thing is, I was volunteering while I was working as well as now in something related to my field so that could help me explain a paid "work gap". I graduated from college in June and many people in my program didn't get jobs and are just volunteering.

I am now really nervous about two things and have thrown up actually from this...
1. Once my therapist calls me back, he might say he never gave me validation to resign, and would either say he won't write a letter, or would say things which wouldn't help my case.
2. Since EDD will call up my supervisors and I guess tell them why I quit and why I am filing for unemployment, I figure I just did burn bridges and I could kiss my references good bye.

What exactly does EDD ask employers when they call? If you resigned from a job due to work environment, hostile treatment, and lack of training, would you still use your recent supervisors as references despite what you said to EDD about them?

I really made a mess out of things, and know I now have a scarlet letter for the rest of my career life.

which State are you in?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
which state are you in?
ca

Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I have a relative that was in a very similar situation, but her therapist did recommend resignation and wrote a letter to that effect that she used to get unemployment. If yours is not returning calls, then I doubt they will support your efforts to get unemployment. The employer does also have a chance to respond to your claims.

I think he will write it. I have a really busy HMO and even my internal medicine doctor hasn't gotten back to me about a prescription I needed for my skin. I usually have to book appointments a month and a half in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment