Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM

49 posts, read 188,850 times

Advertisements

I asked this a while back but I don't think I was clear...

I started on UE in Feb. 2009. Remained unemployed until September to October of 2010. Just a temp job, 6 weeks.

They reopened my OLD claim (which was already on EB level) this past October, since I did NOT make enough to start a new claim.

Now that it is coming to February again, I have only 4 weeks left on EB. Do you think they will make me recertify again and consider it the end of a second benefit year?

Or, since I JUST reopened my claim in October, I shouldn't have to recertify again? I wish they'd just leave it be, there's only 4 weeks left
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,208 times
I would say that it depends on what state you live in. However, it seems that most states operate the same when it comes to having to re-certifying. Even though you only have four weeks left on your current extension, yes you probably will have to re-certify. Definitely an inconvenience, I know. But you are dealing with a government administered program, "Fill out this form, fill out that form...." Unfortunately, you will just have to play the game.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM

Thank you.

I'm in NJ.

I just thought maybe I wouldn't have to since I just re-opened the claim in October. Grrrr boooo

Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 25,289 times
I was wondering this too. I went on UE in May 2009 until April 2010 and then was off it until reapplying in July because I had a baby and so wasn't looking for work. I hope this benefit year ends in July and not the spring.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhoney View Post
I was wondering this too. I went on UE in May 2009 until April 2010 and then was off it until reapplying in July because I had a baby and so wasn't looking for work. I hope this benefit year ends in July and not the spring.

Yes, hopefully you will not have to re-certify in April as the need for re-certifying is a hassle to begin with however, you are only delaying the inevitable. A lot of when your specific claim expires depends on what benefit year and which tier of that benefit year you are currently collecting from.

Checking on your next claim form for the BYE date would help you find your answer. I don't know what it's like for other states but in mine the BYE date is shown on the claim form itself.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_earth View Post
Thank you.

I'm in NJ.

I just thought maybe I wouldn't have to since I just re-opened the claim in October. Grrrr boooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhoney View Post
Re-certification is based on a calendar year for your one-year anniversary of the day you opened your original claim.

It is not affected by when you closed or re-opened the claim. If you are collecting benefits on your BYE, you must re-certify to continue collecting benefits on or shortly after that date. If you are not collecting benefits on your BYE, but you reopen your claim on a later date, you will have to re-certify the next time your BYE rolls around.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM

330 posts, read 1,456,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Re-certification is based on a calendar year for your one-year anniversary of the day you opened your original claim.

It is not affected by when you closed or re-opened the claim. If you are collecting benefits on your BYE, you must re-certify to continue collecting benefits on or shortly after that date. If you are not collecting benefits on your BYE, but you reopen your claim on a later date, you will have to re-certify the next time your BYE rolls around.
What if you're collecting Fed-Ed (EB) and your bye year comes up, will they recalculate you in the midst of collecting Fed-Ed/EB ?

Will they drop your Fed-Ed/EB and put you on a new claim if you earned enough money in a quarter of your base year?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaj2 View Post
What if you're collecting Fed-Ed (EB) and your bye year comes up, will they recalculate you in the midst of collecting Fed-Ed/EB ?

Will they drop your Fed-Ed/EB and put you on a new claim if you earned enough money in a quarter of your base year?
Yes and yes.

When you re-certify, payment of the benefits you are currently collecting is suspended at the year anniversary of your claim. A new claim is filed automatically for you. If you qualify for a new claim, you move on to it. If you do not qualify for a new claim, your prior claim is reopened and you resume collecting those benefits.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 AM

well I've totally passed 2/1 as my second benefit year and they have not made me recertify. Woohoo! This is good since my last UE check is next week. It's already 2/15, I think they would have made me recertify by now. Good, don't have to waste the gas to go to the office and make the phone call :/

That's the good news....bad news is....my UE is completely over next week! Last check...will become a 99'er. Got an interview this week though that sounds promising, so we'll see. And lucky for me I got a nice tax refund that will hold me over until the end of March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment