Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Actually, in WI, you cannot turn down work because of pay. Doesn't matter if it is half of what you previously earned or is out of your field, if it is perceived to be suitable work and the job is offered - even at $8/hr - you are required to take it.

That is too bad. Many states don't expect someone making 60K a year to take a 20K a year job. At least not in the early tiers of UE benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 PM

189 posts, read 647,730 times
I just cant understand forcing someone to work at taco bell you cant go from 75K to 15k min wage jobs are for young kids just getting started not someone trying to provide for their family besides by the time you take out taxes and medical you might have enough to cover you gas and auto insurance

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM

102 posts, read 324,708 times
I'm not sure how that works either. What about the thousands of people who owns homes, multiple cars, health insurance for themselves and their two kids, etc? I just cannot believe how the people of Florida or any other state for the matter have a maximum set for the amount they can make while being unemployed. It's downright wrong, they should at least have a few months close to their pay and in time to get their lives settled to transition over to the low $275 or 200 or whatever the low weekly rate is set by the employers. Unbelievable. I guess there is a reason why NJ has the highest rates in most of everything. They take care of their people.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
You should have heard some of the highly paid NE coast people complaining last year about an $850/wk benefit when they had been earning $3,000/wk, citing the high cost of living etc.

That aside, you may notice that the low benefit states are very often conservative leaning politically, while the high benefit states are liberal - i.e., MA. Low benefit states also have low tax rates and, in most cases, not very good public schools. I heard decades ago about low property taxes in the south. People I knew who moved there planned to send their kids to private schools. Rural roads not too great, either. Watch HGTV Curb Appeal - when they go through the south - no curbs, gutters or sidewalks in these towns/cities. They won't tax for infrastructure or safety nets.

As a NE transplant to FL, you may find you are not too comfortable there. Haha. Very different mindset/philosophy on 'entitlements,' and some of the other southern states are even worse - MS and AL, being two.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2011 View Post
I'm not sure how that works either. What about the thousands of people who owns homes, multiple cars, health insurance for themselves and their two kids, etc? I just cannot believe how the people of Florida or any other state for the matter have a maximum set for the amount they can make while being unemployed. It's downright wrong, they should at least have a few months close to their pay and in time to get their lives settled to transition over to the low $275 or 200 or whatever the low weekly rate is set by the employers. Unbelievable. I guess there is a reason why NJ has the highest rates in most of everything. They take care of their people.
You are forgetting the additional $500/week they receive from Unemployment Insurance.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 AM

102 posts, read 324,708 times
What additional $500? Please clarify.....

Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2011 View Post
What additional $500? Please clarify.....
Unemployment Insurance. It pays above and beyond Unemployment Benefits from the state.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Unemployment Insurance. It pays above and beyond Unemployment Benefits from the state.
  1. What "Unemployment Insurance?"
  2. Is this also a benefit offered by the State of Florida?
  3. Who pays the premium for this?
  4. How does an unemployed person obtain benefits from this "Unemployment Insurance" that pays $500/week?
  5. Are people supposed to apply for "Unemployment Insurance" benefits at the same time they apply for Unemployment Benefits from the State of Florida?
  6. Does every claimant get $500/wk or is it dependent on earnings?
  7. Does one agency administer FL unemployment benefits and another agency administer "Unemployment Insurance."
In the year and a half I've been on this board, no one has ever talked about a $500/wk benefit from FL, but everyone does complain loudly about the low benefit and how hard it is to reach anyone in the FL state unemployment offices.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-17-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
  1. What "Unemployment Insurance?"
  2. Is this also a benefit offered by the State of Florida?
  3. Who pays the premium for this?
  4. How does an unemployed person obtain benefits from this "Unemployment Insurance" that pays $500/week?
  5. Are people supposed to apply for "Unemployment Insurance" benefits at the same time they apply for Unemployment Benefits from the State of Florida?
  6. Does every claimant get $500/wk or is it dependent on earnings?
  7. Does one agency administer FL unemployment benefits and another agency administer "Unemployment Insurance."
In the year and a half I've been on this board, no one has ever talked about a $500/wk benefit from FL, but everyone does complain loudly about the low benefit and how hard it is to reach anyone in the FL state unemployment offices.
It's a benefit provided by private insurers. Depending on your income, it costs $30 to $100 per month... with most people falling in the $60 range. You pay for it out of your pocket. It's supplementary to unemployment benefits provided by the state for those who want to mitigate risk.

You can Google "private unemployment insurance". I don't know specifics about FL, since I'm in NJ... but it's available by private insurers nationwide. I suggest you talk to your Insurance Broker.

It is completely private (like car insurance) and you pay the premiums WHILE you are employed. Then file a claim when you lose your job.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
It's a benefit provided by private insurers. Depending on your income, it costs $30 to $100 per month... with most people falling in the $60 range. You pay for it out of your pocket. It's supplementary to unemployment benefits provided by the state for those who want to mitigate risk.

You can Google "private unemployment insurance". I don't know specifics about FL, since I'm in NJ... but it's available by private insurers nationwide. I suggest you talk to your Insurance Broker.

It is completely private (like car insurance) and you pay the premiums WHILE you are employed. Then file a claim when you lose your job.
Good luck finding such insurance. And, for the 15 million already unemployed, that horse has left the barn:

Your Money - Insure Yourself Against a Job Loss? Good Luck - NYTimes.com

I've called a couple of my local insurance brokers. They say it is not offered. Perhaps you can supply the names of a few providers.

From what I can glean from the google links, the few providers there were got out of the business. Guess it's sort of a loser these days.

Quote:
You are forgetting the additional $500/week they receive from Unemployment Insurance.
Why would you assume everyone in FL has this insurance and is collecting $500/wk plus their benefits? No one here or on any other unemployment forum is collecting on such 'private' insurance for which they have paid that I can find.

ETA: Somehow this thread got hijacked into private unemployment insurance. The subject is - what is the maximum state unemployment benefit in Florida.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-17-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment