Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Keep in mind that the $275 is paid bi-weekly and not weekly. Yes it sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2011 View Post
Are you serious? I thought it was weekly, that's unbelievable. So your saying a person would be making an average of 500 a month?
Bi-weekly weekly benefits are paid every other week. In other words, if one has a weekly benefit of $275, the payment would be $550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Well, the self employed should not get state benefits unless they contribute to a state fund that UI benefits can be drawn from... and I believe it's possible for them to do so.
That would leave out 90% of the unemployed, then. In most states, the employer pays a UI taxed based on state formula, its payroll and its layoff history. There are three states which deduct very small amounts for unemployment insurance as a payroll tax, in addition to what the employer pays in. NJ and PA are two of those states. It is a tiny amount, however - something like $100/yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Can you provide details of the prvt insurance company or a website where I can read their terms or contact an agent?
Is it offered by any major insurance companies?

I am skeptical since I personally don't know any self employed paying for such an insurance.... and noone collecting prvt insurance benfits... so without enough customers, how can they be trusted to pay out UI benefits if the time comes?
I am waiting for this information, as well. Asked NJBest earlier to give us names of providers if this insurance was so readily available. So far, no response. Unsubstantiated statements of 'fact' are not helpful.

Your Money - Insure Yourself Against a Job Loss? Good Luck - NYTimes.com

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-20-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That would leave out 90% of the unemployed, then. In most states, the employer pays a UI taxed based on state formula, its payroll and its layoff history. There are a few states which deduct very small amounts for unemployment insurance as a payroll tax, in addition to what the employer pays in, but those states are few and far between. I believe NJ is one of those states. It is a tiny amount, however.
Yes, when a person is employed, the employer pays most of it... but the point is that fund is being paid into in order to have monies available to pay UI benefits.
If a self employed person can pay into a state UI fund as both employer & employee, (since that is what self-employed means) then he should be eligible for state UI benefits too.

That's why I'm interested in this "prvt insurance" as I'm expecting to be full-time self employed, and prvt insurance seems to be a cheaper alternative.

Quote:
There is not one state that allows a self-employed person to pay into the unemployment fund on his behalf. We have had numerous laments on this board from the self-employed that they have no coverage.
Ok, but that's why self employed has no coverage over someone who is employed... the ability to self-fund UI insurance thru the state.
Even if they can, it makes no sense for a self employed to do so because technically, you'll be paying yourself anyway.

After all, it's expensive and employers don't like paying UI benefits / taxes and penalties.
It would be more practical if the self-employed just opens a separate savings account for his own "insurance" and put money into it.

Unless this "Prvt Insurance" is a real alternative of course.

Last edited by raymond2; 06-20-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM

Why don't you DM NJBest and ask him since he is not sharing any more than provocative, unsubstantiated one-line statements on this thread. Let us know what he says. I am waiting with baited breath to hear about these insurers standing in line to provide unemployment insurance to the employee - or, even riskier yet, the self-employed.

Many of the permanently unemployed have no other option these days than to try to work for themselves. Ha - I did that for 15 years - talk about being out in the cold. It is not worth the risk and responsibility if one can find a paying job with benefits.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-20-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,664 times
Quote:
Why don't you DM NJBest and ask him since he is not sharing anymore than provocative, unsubstantiated one-line statements on this thread. Let us know what he says. I am waiting with baited breath to hear about these insurers standing in line to provide unemployment insurance to the employee - or, even riskier yet, the self-employed.

Many of the permanently unemployed have no other option these days than to try to work for themselves. Ha - I did that for 15 years - talk about being out in the cold. It is not worth the risk and responsibility of one can find a paying job with benefits.
True, there are risks but there are rewards too.
My father came to this country with nothing and is still self-employed with a nice retirement savings he funded on his own.

Being my own boss and keeping all the profits can enable me to save up more in my bank account than working as an employee with benefits.
Even employee benefits are disappearing, so I guess it's worth a try since I have the personal funds available to do so.

I can get "busy seasonal" work in my industry anyway... so it doesn't always have to be a choice of one or the other.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

139 posts, read 355,519 times
If you become unemployed in Fl, dont you also receive a federal unemployment benefit? I always thought that unemployment benefits were paid by the federal govt and the state. Also trying to determine number of weeks of benefits since federal says one number and Fl says a lower number of weeks.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
If you become unemployed in Fl, dont you also receive a federal unemployment benefit? I always thought that unemployment benefits were paid by the federal govt and the state. Also trying to determine number of weeks of benefits since federal says one number and Fl says a lower number of weeks.
Yes, you receive federal benefits in FL. State benefits are always paid before federal benefits. Not every state pays 26 weeks. Florida has reduced the maximum number of weeks it pays to 23. It has further reduced that by one week for each .5% reduction in unemployment below 10%. At present, with an unemployment rate of 9%, Florida state benefits should not exceed 21 weeks. Lately, more states are reducing their base state benefit.
Quote:
Georgia joins Michigan, Missouri and South Carolina in reducing to 20 the maximum weeks of state benefits, and Florida, which last year adopted a sliding scale scheme of 12-to-23 weeks. Georgia’s cuts, the most severe in the nation, take effect for new unemployment claimants beginning July 1

Race to the Bottom: Georgia Legislators Approve Severe Cuts to Unemployment Insurance | unemployedworkers.org
Your federal EUC tier benefits are a percentage of your total state benefit. If you exhaust your state benefits on or before September 1, your total Tier 1 monetary award would be 80% of your original state monetary award; exhaustion of state benefits after September 1st, your total Tier 1 monetary award would be 54% of your original state monetary award, as Congress has reduced benefits paid in Tiers 1 and 3 after September. Divide that 80%/54% by your weekly benefit amount to determine the number of weeks for which you would be eligible under Tier 1 at the time you reach that point.

More info here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23479399-post5.html

Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times
Quote:

Race to the Bottom: Georgia Legislators Approve Severe Cuts to Unemployment Insurance | unemployedworkers.org

In the waning minutes of its 2012 session, Georgia’s state legislature last week approved a bill (HB 347) that slashes state unemployment insurance (UI) from the standard 26 weeks to a maximum of 20 weeks, and would further reduce the maximum to as few as 14 weeks depending on Georgia’s unemployment rate. That rate now stands at 9.1 percent, with Georgia tied for the seventh highest rate among the states. Fifty Georgia counties – nearly a third of the state’s total – had average unemployment rates of 12 percent or higher last year.
I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that I left Georgia last year.... 3 more weeks and it will be a year since I left and I can tell you that I DO NOT miss that state.

A maximum benefit of $330 a week with very high unemployment... 50 counties at 12% or higher? The jobs you do find pay very little. Why is the COL so low in Savannah? Because every job pays $8 an hour. The most I ever made in Georgia as a skilled worker was about $40k. Here in Washington I'm on pace for $70k this year, doing the exact same job I did in Georgia.

I feel bad for the unemployed there... I'll never go back to that state except to visit my family.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 25,949 times
Default Florida Unemployment Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's a benefit provided by private insurers. Depending on your income, it costs $30 to $100 per month... with most people falling in the $60 range. You pay for it out of your pocket. It's supplementary to unemployment benefits provided by the state for those who want to mitigate risk.

You can Google "private unemployment insurance". I don't know specifics about FL, since I'm in NJ... but it's available by private insurers nationwide. I suggest you talk to your Insurance Broker.

It is completely private (like car insurance) and you pay the premiums WHILE you are employed. Then file a claim when you lose your job.

THEN IT COSTS MONEY AND IS NOT A FREE BENEFIT!!!!

Makes no sense telling poor people about that as there are many such insurance plans everywhere in the country not just Florida, but if we could pay for it we would!!!
The government should implement a plan to help people pay for it then....NOT!!!
That is cost of living higher to anyone, no one can afford anything extra, that is for people with big paying jobs.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,916 times
I been approved for 255 a week in unemployment will I get s check weekly or bi weekly?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:18 PM

24 posts, read 98,550 times
Yes, unfortunately Florida max is 275. It's also now only 19 weeks . If your unemployment is from another state, you receive the benefits from the state in which you became unemployed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment