Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 82,437 times

Advertisements

I have had quite a few interviews in the past few months and no job offers.

I am a college student looking for a part time job. I have been applying low wage, food and restaurant, customer service, clerical and sales positions. I know my resume is good since I rarely go a week without getting an interview. The interview itself is where I usually drop the ball. My confidence in this area is at an all time low.

Is there anyone that can help me with acing the interview. I know there is a lot of good websites out there but I wanted this boards help in separating the wheat from the chaff. If anything I want three things on my mind going into an interview as trying to remember a gazillion things makes me filled with anxiety. I do tend to get nervous and I am thinking about taking a shot of whiskey before I walk in the door.

For the record, I have an interview on Friday afternoon for a busser at a fast food pizza place and another at the gym at my university. Any tips on how I can walk out with an offer will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM

189 posts, read 647,548 times
Seeing as you are a student im guessing they are passing because of scheduling conflicts. It would be far easier to hire someone who could work any shift any day than to try and work around one employ's availability.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM

516 posts, read 1,349,900 times
I understand the interview anxiety, but never drink before an interview. They will smell it on you even if you try to mask it with a mint or even worse, mouthwash (mouthwash has alcohol in it).

Get a good night sleep the night before and remember to take deep breaths.

Bring bottled water with you, that also helps.

Wishing you luck

Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
E-mail or call or even see the interviewers in person and let them know that you are trying to find out why you were not offered the job. Ask them if there was anything you did wrong. Be sincere yet candid.

This is not weird or rude by any means, you are gathering vital information about what went wrong so you can correct yourself for future ones. I did that for a couple of job opportunities where both the company and myself were very interested yet after multiple interviews, they went with someone else. In my case, even though they really liked my as a person and impressed with my experience, one or two critical skill set the other guy had much more of. One of the jobs actually had another opening few months later which I interviewed for and got the offer but that time, I passed on it since I already had a job that I was happy with.

Knowing that I didn't F up but lost to the other guy merely due to him/her having more experience in a critical area the employer needed made me feel a lot better and I had a lot more confidence in the following interviews.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Contact your career service department. Most colleges will do 'mock interviews' with you, where they pretend to interview you over and over and give you feedback.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:23 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,357 times
I used to get seriously nervous before interviews; I find it helps to picture someone who exudes confidence and who you know personally. Knowing that figure personally means you know they have shortcomings too and it helps you adjust. I picture old managers who I admired because they were good at their jobs and people complimented them...they're easier to emulate because you usually know if they've dropped the ball before or their computer/phone skills need help, etc.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:08 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshGibbor View Post
I have had quite a few interviews in the past few months and no job offers.

I am a college student looking for a part time job. I have been applying low wage, food and restaurant, customer service, clerical and sales positions. I know my resume is good since I rarely go a week without getting an interview. The interview itself is where I usually drop the ball. My confidence in this area is at an all time low.

Is there anyone that can help me with acing the interview. I know there is a lot of good websites out there but I wanted this boards help in separating the wheat from the chaff. If anything I want three things on my mind going into an interview as trying to remember a gazillion things makes me filled with anxiety. I do tend to get nervous and I am thinking about taking a shot of whiskey before I walk in the door.

For the record, I have an interview on Friday afternoon for a busser at a fast food pizza place and another at the gym at my university. Any tips on how I can walk out with an offer will be appreciated.
So how did your interviews go? Don't keep us in suspense!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyEF View Post
I understand the interview anxiety, but never drink before an interview. They will smell it on you even if you try to mask it with a mint or even worse, mouthwash (mouthwash has alcohol in it).

Get a good night sleep the night before and remember to take deep breaths.

Bring bottled water with you, that also helps.

Wishing you luck
You always hear this but let me illustrate HOW important that can be:

Not only will you be well rested and therefore more alert, the lack of a good night's sleep can help you lose out.

I went for an interview in the not too distant past. I could not sleep the night before. I tossed, turned, counted sheep, nothing worked. I finally gave up and started reading a book, hoping to eventually nod off. I was up for HOURS trying to sleep.

I got up, went to the interview, did well...except for one thing. My eyes were bloodshot from not sleeping the night before and instead of them thinking I just couldn't sleep because I was excited and anxious, they thought I was hung over. Get. A good night's. Sleep.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I got up, went to the interview, did well...except for one thing. My eyes were bloodshot from not sleeping the night before and instead of them thinking I just couldn't sleep because I was excited and anxious, they thought I was hung over. Get. A good night's. Sleep.
Unless your eyes are red from an infection, a little Visine before the interview would have solved the problem.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Unless your eyes are red from an infection, a little Visine before the interview would have solved the problem.
Yah...I didn't think they would think I was hung over...I actually thought they would realize I was tired. But that's cause I don't do a whole lot of drinking so I guess my mind doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment