Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 AM

62 posts, read 411,202 times

Advertisements

I worked for a company (NJ) for eight years before I was laid off end of last summer. So I originally filed (NJ) end August 2010.. I'm still collecting and I'm on the 2nd *renewal* which is about to come to an end. Since I'm not quite at 52 weeks yet, I'm wondering if i'm eligible to collect up to this *99 weeks* I hear so much about . I'm just nervous that it won't renew for a third time which is next week!

I keep hearing about the *99'ers* and I'm wondering if that is still in place?

Someone told me that after January this year, that was no longer in place

I feel that by working the length of time that I did, I must have the credits or whatever in the proverbial pot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,272,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacor77 View Post
I worked for a company (NJ) for eight years before I was laid off end of last summer. So I originally filed (NJ) end August 2010.. I'm still collecting and I'm on the 2nd *renewal* which is about to come to an end. Since I'm not quite at 52 weeks yet, I'm wondering if i'm eligible to collect up to this *99 weeks* I hear so much about . I'm just nervous that it won't renew for a third time which is next week!

I keep hearing about the *99'ers* and I'm wondering if that is still in place?

Someone told me that after January this year, that was no longer in place

I feel that by working the length of time that I did, I must have the credits or whatever in the proverbial pot
My understanding is that Federal money, approved by Pres Obama, runs out around Jan 1st. So you would be OK until then.
If I dont find work I'll be an "82'er" in January when the money runs out.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 PM

92 posts, read 305,891 times
I think that in NJ even if there are no Federal Extensions, Extended Benefits would still apply for 20 more weeks.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,670,874 times
The remaining 6 weeks of Tier IV may not be available to you without another Congressional extension. But, you will collect at least 93 weeks.

You need to call NJ to RECERTIFY your claim at your bye. They will file a application for a new claim for you (standard procedure), if there are no new eligible earnings that claim will be denied, your old claim reopened and benefits paid from that.

You will then continue on what remains of your Tier II (approximately 8 weeks), then progress to Tier III for another 13 weeks which will take you to the end of this year. If you exhaust Tier III by December 31, 2011, you will transition to Tier IV for another 6 weeks into 2012. After you have exhausted Tiers III and/or IV, as mamajay says, NJ will transfer you to state extended benefits for another 20 weeks - which NJ pays with or without federal help.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 PM

86 posts, read 203,485 times
Adrienne, do you know which states offer the extended benefit apart from New Jersey? thanks!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The remaining 6 weeks of Tier IV may not be available to you without another Congressional extension. But, you will collect at least 93 weeks.

You need to call NJ to RECERTIFY your claim at your bye. They will file a application for a new claim for you (standard procedure), if there are no new eligible earnings that claim will be denied, your old claim reopened and benefits paid from that.

You will then continue on what remains of your Tier II (approximately 8 weeks), then progress to Tier III for another 13 weeks which will take you to the end of this year. If you exhaust Tier III by December 31, 2011, you will transition to Tier IV for another 6 weeks into 2012. After you have exhausted Tiers III and/or IV, as mamajay says, NJ will transfer you to state extended benefits for another 20 weeks - which NJ pays with or without federal help.
---------------
Oh, but another post lists that after January 2012 I wont be able to collect anymore, which will have brought me to about 68 total weeks I collected

But you say at least 93 weeks?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacor77 View Post
---------------
Oh, but another post lists that after January 2012 I wont be able to collect anymore, which will have brought me to about 68 total weeks I collected

But you say at least 93 weeks?
Yes. You will receive EUC tier benefits to the end of this year as per my first post, possibly through Tier IV into 2012 - AND - 20 weeks Extended Benefits - because you are in New Jersey.

Those other posts refer to states which do not have MANDATED Extended Benefits for which EB will end if Congress does not extend unemployment benefits. Aquaboy who posted above is in California. California will NOT pay EB without federal help. His situation is NOT yours.

New Jersey is one of ten states which pays extended benefits without federal assistance. You are fortunate.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-17-2011 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella45 View Post
Adrienne, do you know which states offer the extended benefit apart from New Jersey? thanks!
Alaska, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington, provided 3-month unemployment rate triggers are met, usually 6% for the first 13 weeks, 8% for the last 7 weeks.

Only state with mandated EB not paying right now is Alaska.

Trigger Notice Report

Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM

ahhh thank you for the clarification!!

:-)

Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 PM

41 posts, read 71,141 times
Ariadne. If you have the time, could you go over the table column by column becasue I don't know what it means by the IUR 1.47 (Virginia) and what the previous years % means.
Plus, is there any hope of Va triggering EB on again at the end of the 3 month period (ending August 1st, I think?)

Thanks so much. I keep hoping I won't need to come back to this forum but everyone has been kind, so I thank people for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment