Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM

30 posts, read 596,568 times

Advertisements

I read in another thread about how filing a new claim voided another's EUC benefits. That set off alarm bells. Will that apply to me?

I had an active unemployment claim in CA that ended in Spring of 2010 after I exhausted all available benefits, including all federal extensions. I found intermittent temp work through an agency in the following months/year, then when the temp work dried up, I filed a new unemployment claim (state claim) in the Spring of 2011, which awarded me a small weekly benefit. I am just starting Tier 2 on this claim.

My benefit year is coming up the end of this month. I won't qualify for a new state claim (have had no w-2 wages during the benefit year, so do not qualify for a new state claim), which means I SHOULD go back on the federal extensions, at the same weekly benefit amount.

After reading the other post, now I am not so sure there isn't some rule that will get in the way of my going back on EUC. Can you think of any reason why this former claim (the 2010 claim) might cause my eligibility for going back on EUC (as described above) to be cut off or denied?

Any explanations very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,200,812 times
Subsequent claims void extended benefits, not EUC.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 PM

25,602 posts, read 56,662,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK4 View Post
I read in another thread about how filing a new claim voided another's EUC benefits.
Where did you read this? Certainly not in FAQS or the numerous posts to which I've responded on this issue.

As Chyvan has said, new claims void EB from previous claims - not EUC, provided you've begun receiving EUC payments prior to the bye of that claim or establishment of a subsequent claim, whichever comes first.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Here's the post that raised questions. This stuff makes my head spin. I misunderstood.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...nd-euc-wa.html

Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

25,602 posts, read 56,662,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK4 View Post
Here's the post that raised questions. This stuff makes my head spin. I misunderstood.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...nd-euc-wa.html
Heh - I've added a few file drawers in my brain since I got into this stuff. It is mind-boggling for people unfamiliar with the system. Each term has its own meaning. Therefore, when reading this stuff one has to discern between extensions (aka EUC tiers) v. extended benefits (the entire federal program) vs. Extended Benefits (the last 20 weeks). Some states do use lower case extended benefits when referring to EUC. Causes a lot of confusion. I never use anything but - tiers, EUC, EB - and do not ever conflate these terms (unless I happen to be having a brain lapse).

Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM

Oh, I can imagine (adding file drawers!). Just based on a reading of some of your posts, I think it's safe to say that I probably understand about a third of what you understand, and I consider myself somewhat informed! I experienced an actual brain freeze when I went back a second time to try to make sense of the thread that led to my concern. Literally, the brain just refused to process the information.

Btw, I've looked at a lot of different unemployment forums, and I have to say, this is by far the most informative/helpful. The quality of the information is solid. So kudos to you, Chyvan and others who keep this thing alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Heh - I've added a few file drawers in my brain since I got into this stuff. It is mind-boggling for people unfamiliar with the system. Each term has its own meaning. Therefore, when reading this stuff one has to discern between extensions (aka EUC tiers) v. extended benefits (the entire federal program) vs. Extended Benefits (the last 20 weeks). Some states do use lower case extended benefits when referring to EUC. Causes a lot of confusion. I never use anything but - tiers, EUC, EB - and do not ever conflate these terms (unless I happen to be having a brain lapse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment