Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,852 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently filed an appeal because I was only approved for 13 weeks, instead of the 26. I originally filed a claim in May, but then proceeded to close the claim, then re-filed in July so that the base year would give me the full 26 weeks. I did all of this through the UI with an agent face to face.

This did not really affect the amount of money I would take in, because I had a 7 week disqualification period anyway for being fired from work. (Thats another story in itself).

On Aug 2nd I had to do another claims examiner interview to determine eligibility, which was expected. I informed the agent that I did this already, to save her time. After that call was over, I received a voicemail saying they were closing my July claim, and re-opening my May claim, because I "took action" on that claim.

That action was simply me claiming weeks online, which I DID NOT receive any money for whatsoever, because of my disqualification period. I only did this, because of that is what UI instructs you to do in the pamphlet and blue handbook.

I was forced to file an appeal about this, and my entire appeal is centered on the fact that I never received money from UI on the May claim, and only certified weekly benefits because of instruction provided my their offices. I requested to have them close my May claim and use my July claim.

Does anyone here know of what I can expect with this type of an appeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,366,020 times
You were making weekly claims when you knew you were approved for only 13 weeks?
Why didn't you ask to cancel the claim the day (or day after) you found out you were only eligible for 13 weeks?

I read a case where a guy canceled his NY claim to file in NJ after he received 2 weeks benefits in NY, but that's an interstate claim.

Here's the thread:

Combined Wage Claims (NJ/NY)

Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 PM

12 posts, read 5,476 times
im sorry-why did u have A May, And July claim? Could you please elaborate?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
You were making weekly claims when you knew you were approved for only 13 weeks?
Why didn't you ask to cancel the claim the day (or day after) you found out you were only eligible for 13 weeks?

I read a case where a guy canceled his NY claim to file in NJ after he received 2 weeks benefits in NY, but that's an interstate claim.

Here's the thread:

The base period wasn't in question here - just which state would be paying benefits.

OP's situation requires a change in base year and that is the problem. NJ, of course, prefers a smaller claim to a larger one, because this is all state money now. With such a small claim - 13 weeks - doubtful if there will be any EB benefits attached to that, misconduct notwithstanding, whereas by waiting three months her base period wages might create eligibility for another 13 weeks, and EUC if Congress extends the legislation, and EB if she is able to work a sufficient amount to get that misconduct disqualification lifted.

Of course, OP should appeal. I'll be interested to learn the result.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-03-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post

Here's the thread:

Well, I began claiming weekly as soon as I filed. I didn't receive my monetary determination and interview until about three weeks later, because they kept calling the wrong phone number, despite my 3 attempts to change it over the phone (hour wait each time.) I went back and forth over the phone to get a monetary appt numerous times. I cancelled the claim once I found out it was an option. Everywhere on the number UI websites and literature tells you to claim weekly regardless of circumstance. I made sure to copy and paste that literature in my appeal.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The base period wasn't in question here - just which state would be paying benefits.

OP's situation requires a change in base year and that is the problem. NJ, of course, prefers a smaller claim to a larger one, because this is all state money now. With such a small claim - 13 weeks - doubtful if there will be any EB benefits attached to that, misconduct notwithstanding, whereas by waiting three months her base period wages might create eligibility for another 13 weeks, and EUC if Congress extends the legislation, and EB if she is able to work a sufficient amount to get that misconduct disqualification lifted.

Of course, OP should appeal. I'll be interested to learn the result.
My claim for July was the full 26 weeks, and about 75$ more per week. Being my original claim was may 22, the difference was only 6 weeks. I followed instructions to the best of my knowledge, never actually received money from them, and also had the may claim cancelled, and July opened through the UI office. I am hoping these things help me, or I am in a world of trouble.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzitari View Post
My claim for July was the full 26 weeks, and about 75$ more per week. Being my original claim was may 22, the difference was only 6 weeks. I followed instructions to the best of my knowledge, never actually received money from them, and also had the may claim cancelled, and July opened through the UI office. I am hoping these things help me, or I am in a world of trouble.
Do you know exactly what earnings are included in your first claim - from when to when? It should be Jan 2010-Dec 2010. The new claim, if you are successful, would include earnings from April 2010-March 2011, unless NJ is using alternate method #2. However, alternate methods are only used if a person doesn't qualify using the normal base period calculation. New York State will use the calculation most advantageous to the claimant. That is not true of NJ.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

Irrelevant, really, if NJ refuses to cancel your first claim. Let us know what happens.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-03-2011 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment