Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen this covered in any of the other threads. I apologize if I missed it.

Was laid off after working 9 months for a company. I applied quickly for UI as someone had recommended it based on lag time. Big mistake.

Because of the date of the claim, my base year ended up skewed. They only counted 11 weeks of the 9 months worked and as a result only offered me 13 weeks of Unemployment Insurance. As it is under 20 weeks, I won't be eligible for any of the extensions either. I had been previously self employed, which doesn't count for anything.

Having a family to help support, this is a bit of an issue.

I see that there are numerous alternative base years, but the Unemployment office makes the decision about whether they are applied.

Does anyone have any experience with an appeal or insider info to help me work out the next best step?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM

336 posts, read 1,295,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Haven't seen this covered in any of the other threads. I apologize if I missed it.

Was laid off after working 9 months for a company. I applied quickly for UI as someone had recommended it based on lag time. Big mistake.

Because of the date of the claim, my base year ended up skewed. They only counted 11 weeks of the 9 months worked and as a result only offered me 13 weeks of Unemployment Insurance. As it is under 20 weeks, I won't be eligible for any of the extensions either. I had been previously self employed, which doesn't count for anything.

Having a family to help support, this is a bit of an issue.

I see that there are numerous alternative base years, but the Unemployment office makes the decision about whether they are applied.

Does anyone have any experience with an appeal or insider info to help me work out the next best step?
\

This is what i found that uneployment looks at when you collect.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 24,431 times
Default Unemployment benefits

I just made the same big mistake last week, applying immediately after becoming unemployed. If I had waited until October 1 I would have been entitled to 24 weeks, but because I didn't appreciate the subtleties of the rules, and I filed last week I am only entitled to 10. (and presumably no extensions).

Were you able to amend your claim to get the benefit of your 9 months of work, and the extensions? Or was it hopeless.

I can't believe this situation.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun2011flower View Post
I just made the same big mistake last week, applying immediately after becoming unemployed. If I had waited until October 1 I would have been entitled to 24 weeks, but because I didn't appreciate the subtleties of the rules, and I filed last week I am only entitled to 10. (and presumably no extensions).

Were you able to amend your claim to get the benefit of your 9 months of work, and the extensions? Or was it hopeless.

I can't believe this situation.
I'm about to try. I was only off by 2 weeks! Waiting that time out would have made a huge difference.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Correcting NJ Unemployment Base Period

You might be able to correct your base pay period. It seems like today I have just been successful at doing that.

I called nj unemployment many times yesterday, and early this morning but go nowhere: every time I got through the menu-driven call to accessing an agent, the message was something like, "due to the high volume of calls, please call back later".

I finally gave up and went to my designated unemployment office. There I was directed to a cubicle with a phone that had direct access to an agent. The phone connected to an agent in about 5 minutes. The agent immediately understood this situation, and told me that I could cancel my claim, and then apply in October. So now I'm entitled to 25 weeks, and extensions, whereas before I was given 10 weeks and would not have qualified for extensions.

The relief from being able to resolve this is unbelievable. Let's hope, come October, that this pans out as described.

Good luck to you, and thank you for posting. We found another posting elsewhere as well and it seemed hopeless, but clear that other people were in the same boat.

Anyone in this situation who just innocently follows the on-line submission will end up in this way. The subsequent blue booklet that I received, "Unemployment Insurance: Your Rights and Responsibilities" says in bold print: "You should always file as soon as possible after you become unemployed." Obviously, a closer look shows that it's not true in all cases. At least in the booklet, a few pages later, there is a table showing claim date and base year, so you would be able to figure it out. On-line, unless you know to look very hard, and very carefully, most people will miss it.....

As if it the stress of being recently unemployed weren't enough......

Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Forgot One Other Easy to Miss Point

Here's another thing to think about: The Base Week begins on Sunday, so it seems to me that to qualify for Base Year July 1, 2008 to June 30th, 2009, one would submit no earlier than October 4, 2009.

If you submit on October 1, you'll end up in the 4/1/08 - 3/31/09 period because the week starts on September 27.

My assessment. It didn't occur to me until later (after speaking to the agent) that this might also be an issue, so it didn't occur to me to ask.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You might be able to correct your base pay period. It seems like today I have just been successful at doing that.

I called nj unemployment many times yesterday, and early this morning but go nowhere: every time I got through the menu-driven call to accessing an agent, the message was something like, "due to the high volume of calls, please call back later".

I finally gave up and went to my designated unemployment office. There I was directed to a cubicle with a phone that had direct access to an agent. The phone connected to an agent in about 5 minutes. The agent immediately understood this situation, and told me that I could cancel my claim, and then apply in October. So now I'm entitled to 25 weeks, and extensions, whereas before I was given 10 weeks and would not have qualified for extensions.

The relief from being able to resolve this is unbelievable. Let's hope, come October, that this pans out as described.

Good luck to you, and thank you for posting. We found another posting elsewhere as well and it seemed hopeless, but clear that other people were in the same boat.

Anyone in this situation who just innocently follows the on-line submission will end up in this way. The subsequent blue booklet that I received, "Unemployment Insurance: Your Rights and Responsibilities" says in bold print: "You should always file as soon as possible after you become unemployed." Obviously, a closer look shows that it's not true in all cases. At least in the booklet, a few pages later, there is a table showing claim date and base year, so you would be able to figure it out. On-line, unless you know to look very hard, and very carefully, most people will miss it.....

Glad it worked out for you.
Unfortunately, as I had already claimed, there is nothing I can do.

On the other hand....if I am still out of work next March, I can reapply and THEN the base year will work out for me.

Between a rock and a hard place...

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,544 times
Default In the same boat

I was employed last year with a school district in New Jersey for the first time in three years. Unfortunately I was let go in June, due to budget constraints. Like many of the rest of you said, I looked online and it gave instructions to file right away (in June). When I did this I only received 13 weeks. For the past four months I have tried calling and faxing the office and have not been successful. Today, I finally got through to a person and was told that because of when I filed and the fact that I made over $15,000 from October- December of 1998 I can only use that time and no extensions. So the 13 weeks is all I get. I am disgusted with the whole thing. It makes no sense. If you work 20 weeks or more then you should get the same thing others get. The person I spoke to was not helpful at all. I have one more added handicap. I am a Pennsylvania resident, and have no idea where to turn. I have filed an appeal and contacted my state rep to try to straighten this whole thing out. They should not be able to do this to people. I am not just some bum who refuses to work. I am a college educated individual who just ran upon some bad luck.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 PM

22 posts, read 67,097 times
Did anyone have any luck with their appeals?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,606 times
Default Sunflower how did you cancel your claim?

I waited until July 1st to apply for unemployment do that my base period would end in March 2010 instead of Dec 09. I did not realize however that the claim goes from the start of that week which was June 27th, making my base period still end in 2009. I have not accepted any unemployment yet. How were you able to cancel your claim? I cannot find that information anywhere. Also, when I file again how can I be sure that it will not simply refer back to my old claim?

Please help me if you can, I am desperate to find answers!

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment