Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,006,027 times

Advertisements

My dad was recently laid off from his job. Up until February 2010, he was working as operations manager at a machining company. He had been with the company for 20 years, but the company had really been hurting and he was let go. He was unemployed for almost a year before he got hired as a production manager at a manufacturing company earlier this year. He was replacing an employee that was very sick; I don't think the company thought the sick individual would ever recover well enough to work again. But, the previous production manager did recover, and he was back at work about a month ago. A week after the old manager returned, my dad was let go.

What really sucks is that they basically used my dad as a temporary employee, but didn't tell him that. They actually told him that even if the original manager came back he would still have a job. Obviously, that isn't what happened.

I want to help my dad find a new job, but I'm not sure if there is anything I can really do. I've already helped him with his resume and that type of stuff. He is in a tough position; he is over 50, has worked in the manufacturing industry for his entire career, and does not have a college degree. He was doing very well until the machining company took a turn for the worse, earning six figures. My dad is very intelligent and is a hard worker. He HATES being unemployed and it's definitely taking a toll on him emotionally. He's always been the primary breadwinner in the house, even though my mom has always worked full time as well. I really feel for him...

I've thought about buying a billboard with his info on it, just to get people to see that he is out there (someone in Atlanta did this a couple years ago, I don't know if it worked for him or not though). I've tried looking through help wanted listings, but I don't know enough about his experience to really be much help there. I've been trying to think of anything I can do, even if it is ridiculous (like the billboard thing), but I don't have any good ideas.

So, to anyone out there who is/was unemployed... is there anything your kids could do? I am not hurting financially, so cost is not a huge issue for me. I just don't know if there even is anything that can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 PM

29,869 posts, read 25,005,650 times
Did he save up enough to sit it out for a few years? My old man has been out of work for 5 years. Engineering firm he worked for went belly up when the auto industry took a dive. Went from 12 hour workdays 6 days a week to nothing... Devastating I know.

It really depends on what he can do, and how up to date his skills are. The shops that are dominating the market these days are the ones that have the latest and greatest technology. They are killing the dinosaur shops that stuck with the old ways of doing things, as well as the workers who we're stuck using the same 20 year old skill set. I would have to know what kind of shop it was he was working for, as well as what he actually did on his job to give you much of an answer. Prototype shops are always looking for guys who can make things part to print, because there aren't that many guys running around who can do that these days. Production shops are always looking for guys who are up to date on the latest machines and production solutions.

If he is not up to date, and can't find anything, he could take the time and start over again... Working as an operator for a year or so on some new machines. Doesn't pay all that much, but it's the only way to learn and get back in the game. He would be a shoe in for sure, since he can read blue prints, understand toolpaths, speeds and feeds, and other basics. Would he be willing to work for 15 bucks an hour? There are places that would hire him with his years of experience, but it may require he suck in his pride for a year or two and probably work for some younger bosses.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,390,674 times
I see the word "manager" in your dad's job description. In a shop that means you have to know a lot, from setting up to paperwork to troubleshooting. It sounds like he's just depressed and doesn't seem to have connections. Does it mean he isn't selling himself properly?

He's management and companies of all sizes need good management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment