Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM

810 posts, read 1,766,705 times

Advertisements

Hi there I am in Ca and have been on unemployment since I was laid off on 09-22-2010. Back on August 24th I began working part time, up until that point I have had zero problems with unemployment always received my checks same time same day. Of course now is another story, my checks have been getting "lost" even though I bring them to the exact same post office like always. I don't understand why usually the unemployment office will allow me to recert on the phone if its been at least a week of course not this week.
Monday when I phoned ca unemployment they advised me that I have a phone interview with them on Thurs, when I asked if they could tell me what it is regarding so I can be prepared the representative told me they were going to check my eligability and decide if I am still eligable for the claim, and to refer to the letter which just had on the back the same questions on the claim form. Okay that was signed out with my current employers info, exact hours, wages and person to contact in the office here.
I understand that if I work over a set amount of hours I am no longer eligable, however I usually work 27 hours at $10 hour which still qualifys me to receive partial benefits.
My question is has anyone on here gone thru the same thing? I am sorry I am just freaking out because my check was due to me last week, still no money and now they are stating that I am being investigated??
All I can say is I have never wanted to gain full time employment more than now and get off of the unemployment so I don't have to deal with this any longer . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 32,464,569 times
Are your claim forms getting lost or are your checks getting lost? I mail in my claim form on Saturdays, and my money is normally on my card by Tuesday, but one day it came in on a Thursday. If your claim forms are getting lost, make copies of them for your files, in case of a problem.

I had an EDD phone interview a few months ago, and it was regarding the dates that I worked for an employer in 2010. I told the rep that I had a calendar in my computer with the dates on it, and to give me a few minutes to bring it up. When I did so, I gave her the exact start and end dates, how many days per week I worked, and my hourly rate. She thanked me for being so organized.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,662,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Hi there I am in Ca and have been on unemployment since I was laid off on 09-22-2010. Back on August 24th I began working part time, up until that point I have had zero problems with unemployment always received my checks same time same day. Of course now is another story, my checks have been getting "lost" even though I bring them to the exact same post office like always. I don't understand why usually the unemployment office will allow me to recert on the phone if its been at least a week of course not this week.
Monday when I phoned ca unemployment they advised me that I have a phone interview with them on Thurs, when I asked if they could tell me what it is regarding so I can be prepared the representative told me they were going to check my eligability and decide if I am still eligable for the claim, and to refer to the letter which just had on the back the same questions on the claim form. ........my check was due to me last week, still no money and now they are stating that I am being investigated??
Very simple and routine answer. You have reached the end of your benefit year - 9-22-11. You need to recertify your claim. California needs to evaluate your part-time earnings for new claim eligibility. Thus, the phone interview. CA will ask you questions about your part-time job and perhaps want an earnings update if their system is not current. You will either continue on your old claim, or CA will open a new claim for you.

Why do you say your checks are getting lost even though you "bring them to the same post office?" Do you mean California is telling you they are not receiving your claim forms? You are not mailing checks to CA, they are mailing checks to you.

Through what date has California paid you? Also, has California said they sent you money which you have not received?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Very simple and routine answer. You have reached the end of your benefit year - 9-22-11. You need to recertify your claim. California needs to evaluate your part-time earnings for new claim eligibility. Thus, the phone interview. CA will ask you questions about your part-time job and perhaps want an earnings update if their system is not current. You will either continue on your old claim, or CA will open a new claim for you.

Why do you say your checks are getting lost even though you "bring them to the same post office?" Do you mean California is telling you they are not receiving your claim forms? You are not mailing checks to CA, they are mailing checks to you.

Through what date has California paid you? Also, has California said they sent you money which you have not received?
Well I say my checks (actually returning my claim forms) aren't being received and since I am part time I have to send them in because they need my signature. I think with the next claim form I am going to do the most intelligent thing and start bringing them to another post office a and see if that helps, for the past couple of claim forms they haven't been receiving them although I actually had to purchase stamps so I gave the envelope directly to the man behind the counter and he said that he would mail them.
Thank you for the responses.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM

142 posts, read 317,667 times
This is one of the reasons I advise people not to work part-time while on u/e; it messes up the year end. At this point, you're probably going to have to go through the process where you need to turn in your pay stubs (hope you kept them) the show how much you made over the past year. In your case, it's possible you reset your base. Did you receive a letter numbered DE-238??

Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
This is one of the reasons I advise people not to work part-time while on u/e; it messes up the year end. At this point, you're probably going to have to go through the process where you need to turn in your pay stubs (hope you kept them) the show how much you made over the past year. In your case, it's possible you reset your base. Did you receive a letter numbered DE-238??
No but I am going to start giving them a copy of my pay stub when I send in the claim form because they are well how should I say it nicely? Ahh challlenged . . .
This whole ordeal is because I put 28 hours on the claim form and mailed to them which they never received I told the lady in unemployment I worked 28 hours at 10. hour and the lady inputted 24 hours which resulted in a overpayment (the man from edd admittted that it was their error). The best part is I have to appeal this whole mess and he said "Ill put a request to not charge you a penalty for our error." Gee thanks guys .
I swear I will do cartwheels if and when I get a full time job and I pray I never ever have to deal with these people again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment