Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 31,999 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My question is my WI benefit year started 1/12/2010 when I filed a claim, but then became emplyed so never "collected". I then lost my job september2010 in which I started collecting. So in Jan 2011 my NEW benefit YEAR began in which I collected the new 26 weeks. That ended in June of 2011. I then was put on a "Special Program" (which I assume was EUC and never stated what "Tier" I was in) and it said for benefit year ending 2009. I just collected the last of that balance this week. My account now says $0.00. I am a little confused because I read tier 1 is 20 weeks. This special program I was paid for was only 14weeks. If I am reading correctly I should go into the next tier since I have only collected 14 weeks of any "special programs". Will a new tier balance show once I file my weekly claim? Do you only see the balance in yoru account of one tier at a time?? Is it possible to not get all tiers? And of course I try to call the UI office in WI and phones so overloaded you can't even hold, it just hangs up on you. Any help would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmon20 View Post
Hello,
My question is my WI benefit year started 1/12/2010 when I filed a claim, but then became emplyed so never "collected". I then lost my job september2010 in which I started collecting. So in Jan 2011 my NEW benefit YEAR began in which I collected the new 26 weeks. That ended in June of 2011. I then was put on a "Special Program" (which I assume was EUC and never stated what "Tier" I was in) and it said for benefit year ending 2009.

Based on the above, you have three claims as follows:

Claim 1 - 2008 (bye 2009) - qualified for EUC tiers
Claim 2 - 2010, Jan
Claim 3 - 2011, Jan

I just collected the last of that balance this week. My account now says $0.00. I am a little confused because I read tier 1 is 20 weeks. This special program I was paid for was only 14weeks.

WI has been paying you unused benefits from your 2008 claim (bye 2009) and has just finished paying you Tier 2 (probably)* for 14 weeks from that claim. You must have received some Tier I benefits from the 2009 claim or WI could not continue paying from that claim now. You've probably forgotten about this. Check your records for that old claim.

If I am reading correctly I should go into the next tier since I have only collected 14 weeks of any "special programs".

Yes, you should now transition to Tier III for another 13 weeks from your 2008 claim - *unless WI was paying you Tier III for 13 weeks plus the extra week from Tier 2 - which they sometimes do.* In that event, there are no further tier benefits available on the 2008 claim and you will revert to Tier 1 from your Jan 2011 claim - if that claim qualifies for benefits.

Will a new tier balance show once I file my weekly claim?

Yes.

Do you only see the balance in yoru account of one tier at a time??

Yes.

Is it possible to not get all tiers?

It is possible to not get all the tiers if the EUC legislation expires and/or WI opens yet another new claim for you based on new eligible earnings.

Your second claim does not qualify for tier benefits at all because you did not draw on them before the establishment of Claim 3 in 2011.

You may yet receive tier benefits on Claim 3 - if it qualifies on earnings.

And of course I try to call the UI office in WI and phones so overloaded you can't even hold, it just hangs up on you. Any help would be appreciated!!

You can contact WI via email to find out your exact status. Are they still paying you tier benefits from your 2008 claim or will they now revert to the 2011 claim?

Here is the address:

UI@dwd.wisconsin.gov

They respond in a couple of days.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-26-2011 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Thank you for your response! Still a tad confused. Yes, you are correct. My regular benefits exhauseted 1 week prior to the NEW benefit year in Jan 2011. So I was paid for 1 week of EUC. My qustion is tho what ever happened to Tier 1/20 weeks? Why would they jump right into Tier 2 or 3?
And to your response:
you will revert to Tier 1 from your Jan 2011 claim - if that claim qualifies for benefits.

how could claim 3 possibly qualify on earnings if I was unemployed? what year would they look at to determine? 2010? (Sorry for all the questions!)
So confusing! Thank you in advance!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM

And one more thing I thought of... What about EB benefits than? That is when I am no longer eligible for any EUC tiers on any claim year correct?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. My regular benefits exhauseted 1 week prior to the NEW benefit year in Jan 2011. So I was paid for 1 week of EUC. My qustion is tho what ever happened to Tier 1/20 weeks? Why would they jump right into Tier 2 or 3?

How do you know what you have received was from Tier II of your 2008 claim? Sounds like your original 2008 claim did not qualify for the full complement of tier benefits. In other words, your Tier 1 was 15 weeks, instead of 20, which WI has just finished paying you now. Do you remember the amount of your original 2008 claim? Were you eligible for 26 weeks benefits, or less?

And to your response:
Quote:
you will revert to Tier 1 from your Jan 2011 claim - if that claim qualifies for benefits.
how could claim 3 possibly qualify on earnings if I was unemployed? what year would they look at to determine? 2010?

Yes. WI will use 2010 earnings for establish a new claim in Jan. 2011. You will have to ask WI what earnings they used to establish a new claim in Jan 2011. They found eligible earnings somewhere.
Quote:
And one more thing I thought of... What about EB benefits than? That is when I am no longer eligible for any EUC tiers on any claim year correct?
EB is paid last and is only available on your 2011 claim if that claim has sufficient earnings to qualify AND if Congress extends the unemployment legislation AND if unemployment rate triggers in WI are met.

Any rights to EB on an earlier claim are lost if a new claim is established. In other words, your 2010 claim voided your rights to EB on the 2008 claim. Your 2011 claim voided your rights to EB on the 2010 claim.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM

How do you know what you have received was from Tier II of your 2008 claim? Sounds like your original 2008 claim did not qualify for the full complement of tier benefits. In other words, your Tier 1 was 15 weeks, instead of 20, which WI has just finished paying you now. Do you remember the amount of your original 2008 claim? Were you eligible for 26 weeks benefits, or less?

If I recall right it was only for 18 weeks. Date filed for first week was Sept 13, 2010 and I was only paid regular UC benefits until week ending Jan 15th. Then week of Jan 18th was 1 week paid at EUC/Special Program. Then the followign week was when I was eligible for the new benefit year and started regular EUC benefits again. I thought (as i stated above those benefits ended in June) but really was July. Then My EUC (whatever Tier) went into effect. I counted back exact payments (since it was a different amount) and it was exactly 14 weeks. Plus the one payment in January. So maybe Jan was Tier I. then I just got done with Tier II? SHOULD (?) move onto Tier III then correct?
OR if what you state may be true as well, I only qualified for 15 weeks of Tier I, I should then move onto tier II.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Thank you so much for all your help, it can be overwhelming and scary not knowing what is going on! One more thing I thought of... in pertainig to this situation:

Is it safe to assume that since I qualified for a new benefit year in 2011, that I would be eligible for the 2011 Tier 1 EUC since they found earnings?

Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Do you remember the amount of your original 2008 claim? Were you eligible for 26 weeks benefits, or less?
If I recall right it was only for 18 weeks. Date filed for first week was Sept 13, 2010 and I was only paid regular UC benefits until week ending Jan 15th. Then week of Jan 18th was 1 week paid at EUC/Special Program. Then the followign week was when I was eligible for the new benefit year and started regular EUC benefits again. I thought (as i stated above those benefits ended in June) but really was July. Then My EUC (whatever Tier) went into effect. I counted back exact payments (since it was a different amount) and it was exactly 14 weeks. Plus the one payment in January. So maybe Jan was Tier I. then I just got done with Tier II? SHOULD (?) move onto Tier III then correct?
OR if what you state may be true as well, I only qualified for 15 weeks of Tier I, I should then move onto tier II.
Doublecheck the amount of your original claim. WI would not pay you one week from Tier 1 and then transition you to Tier 2. Tiers are paid in order. If your original claim was for 18 weeks, then Tier 1 should have been for 14 weeks prorated as follows:

26/18 = 69.23% x 20 = 13.84 weeks.

WI should now transition you to Tier II for another 9.69 weeks prorated as follows:

26/18 = 69.23% x 14 = 9.69 weeks.

Then, Tier III for another

26/18 = 69.23% x 13 = 9 weeks.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your help, it can be overwhelming and scary not knowing what is going on! One more thing I thought of... in pertainig to this situation:

Is it safe to assume that since I qualified for a new benefit year in 2011, that I would be eligible for the 2011 Tier 1 EUC since they found earnings?
Since the Jan 2011 claim was for 26 weeks, yes, it would qualify for EUC and EB now - and into 2012 if the legislation is extended past Dec. 31, 2011 - and if you begin collecting EUC tiers on the 2011 claim before the the establishment of a fourth new claim.

If there is no extension, whatever tier from whatever claim you are collecting at the end of the year can be exhausted but there is nothing beyond that. EB ceases within two weeks of legislation expiration regardless of balance remaining.

Write DWD for an explanation of where you are at on your old 2008 claim.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-26-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM

I think I finally understand!! YEAH! Thanks so much for your assistance! I did not find the original claim amount, but I did find the paperwork that came telling me the amount for the EUC. It calculated out to 15 weeks. So I claimed one week in Januaray, then just claimed the remaining 14 weeks for tier 1. Now I should be on Tier 2. I did get my weekly statement today with confirmation of my deposit and also stating this "portion"of EUC has been exhausted and to continue to file weekly claims for determination of exsisting benefits. I assume this is just telling me TIER 1 is completed. (?) I read the word portion as there is more to the EUC. Goodness, would be nice if they could just type it out black and white for unemployment dummies such as myself!
Thank you again for all your help, put my mind at ease a little! I'm sorry, couple more questions.. Should the tier 2 benefit amount remain the same as tier 1?
Then what about this scenario:
I will receive Tier 2 and as I read this program ends 12/31/11 but you can continue to claim the remaining benefits in that one tier. So it should end 1st or 2nd week of January. My new benefit year begins 1/21/12 (I will not qualify for a new year I'm certain) IF a new bill is passed extending the benefits could I move on to Tier 3 than of remaining benefits not used?

Last edited by kevmon20; 10-26-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Should the tier 2 benefit amount remain the same as tier 1?
Then what about this scenario:
I will receive Tier 2 and as I read this program ends 12/31/11 but you can continue to claim the remaining benefits in that one tier. So it should end 1st or 2nd week of January. My new benefit year begins 1/21/12 (I will not qualify for a new year I'm certain) IF a new bill is passed extending the benefits could I move on to Tier 3 than of remaining benefits not used?
Yes, they always send you letters when you've completed an EUC tier. Keep claiming.

All EUC benefits from the 2008 claim will be the same amount.

Yes, you will move to Tier 3 in 2012 IF Congress extends the legislation.

And, IF Congress extends the legislation, you can then collect your EUC and EB from your 2011 claim. It is possible to collect EUC more than once.

I agree - the UE communications are impossible to understand and often confusing. I would know NOTHING if it weren't this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment