Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times

Advertisements

I got my letter from UI today denying me benefits. The letter stated that I quit a previous job to take another job, which is true. I had a phone interview with UI last week explaining exactly that. I left job A to take job B. After 2 months,job B closed the office,packed everything up and said good-bye. Now, I`m without employment and denied benfits. How could they deny benefits when the company I worked for just up and closed their doors without notice? A person can`t quit one job to take another? I don`t understand this at all. I would appreciate any input or advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
You need to list your state and type in exactly what the letter says is the stated reason. Some states have rules about your new job having to have a higher average weekly salary or be closer to your house, etc.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Or the state will require you work a new job for a certain length of time, usually three months. You need to learn more about your state's unemployment laws and then file an appeal. Unemployment laws are not universal among the 50 states.

What state are you in?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks, I am in MD. The lady that interviewed me on the phone said that the last company did say that I was laid -off through no fault of my own. I was only actually considered a seasonal employee at the company where I quit. That`s one of the reasons I left. I was there for 5 months,working 60 hrs a week and so I had a meeting with the manager about becoming a full-time regular employee. But he said not at this time. So I started looking for other work at that point and quit. They called me back (2 days later)to offer me full time but by then I had interviewed with this other company and was hired by them.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Thanks, I am in MD. The lady that interviewed me on the phone said that the last company did say that I was laid -off through no fault of my own. I was only actually considered a seasonal employee at the company where I quit. That`s one of the reasons I left. I was there for 5 months,working 60 hrs a week and so I had a meeting with the manager about becoming a full-time regular employee. But he said not at this time. So I started looking for other work at that point and quit. They called me back (2 days later)to offer me full time but by then I had interviewed with this other company and was hired by them.
Have you called the first company back, maybe they will rehire you back. If you have a good working relationship w/ ex-employer, I would try. I would appeal the UI decision. Go to Dept. of Labor, they are online. Just google. Review your rights, also see if they possibly have a listing for Advocates. I personally had to use a Tax advocate once, I mention because a fed program also. I had not been aware that their were advocates. I was surprised how helpful. I am hoping that you will find that DOL has them also. Sometimes fed programs have advocates. ....I would encourage you to talk to someone about your rights. I am not an attorney, but you seem to be caught in a catch 22, which wasn't your fault. Also, do you have labor attorneys in your area, often an attorney will give a free consult. You gotta at least try.....Good luck
My Son had to do that here in North Dakota, he got results.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Losing a new job after quitting a previous position is NOT grounds for denial of benefits in any state IF other criteria are met, such as length of time on the new job, amount of earnings. I suspect the actual reason for the denial was inadequate time on the new job.
Quote:
In addition to being monetarily eligible, you must be unemployed through no fault of your own, able to work, available for work, looking for full-time work (unless defined by Unemployment Insurance as a part-time worker), and willing to accept a job for which you are qualified in order to collect benefits.
However, you should appeal this decision. You have nothing to lose:
Quote:
What do I do if I receive a Notice of Benefit Determination denying my unemployment insurance benefits and I wish to appeal the denial?

The Notice of Benefit Determination that you will receive will explain why you were denied unemployment insurance benefits, and which section of the Maryland Unemployment insurance Law applies to the denial. The determination will also state how long you will be disqualified from receiving benefits.
The Notice of Benefit Determination will explain your appeal rights and the last day that an appeal may be filed.

The last date to file an appeal is printed on both monetary and nonmonetary determinations. You may appeal within 15 calendar days and request a hearing on the facts. The appeal must be filed in writing and it must be filed within 15 calendar days from the date the determination was mailed. Your signature must be included on the request for appeal. Appeal requests filed by e-mail are not acceptable. In order for the appeal request to be honored by the Appeals Division, the original signature of the person requesting the appeal must be provided. Appeal requests postmarked or faxed after that date may not be granted. All appeals must be in writing and submitted by mail to the Appeals Division, 1100 N. Eutaw Street, Rm. 505, Baltimore, MD 21201 or by fax at 410-225-9781.

You must continue to file timely continued claims bi-weekly. You will not be eligible to receive benefits for any week(s) that was not filed timely, even if you win the appeal.

If a Notice of Benefit Determination involves one of your employers, that employer also has the right to appeal the decision. If either you or your employer files an appeal and you are still unemployed, you must continue to file your timely biweekly continued claims. If you do not, you will not receive benefits, even if the appeal decision is in your favor.

More information about appeals
Claimant Most Frequently Asked Questions - Unemployment Insurance Claimant - Division of Unemployment Insurance

Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM

115 posts, read 226,814 times
There should be some specific statute or codes listed on your denial, if you provide them it might be easier to give you an answer or point you in the right direction.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM

t
Thanks for the help,everyone. In the letter,it states...."It is determined that the claimant voluntarily quit without good cause or valid circumstances within the meaning of section 8-1001 of the maryland unemployment insurance law".

My point is, I quit because after meeting with the manager he was unwilling to make me full-time and I was considered a seasonal employee. They had already change my job classification and reduced my pay. I started out as a sales rep. Three months later I had the choice of becoming a tech or losing my job. So I had to transfer to a tech position and I had to take a cut in pay and I lost all of my commissions that were still on the books. They did this to 2 other employees and they let the other new sales people go, except for 1 that stayed on in sales. There were probably 10 sales reps that were let go. I felt lucky that they at least kept me around,eventhough I lost all of my commssions that were still coming in. The explanation was because I was no longer in sales.
So they kept the rest of the commissions from people we sold.
I was told that by the beginning of July I would be full time if I was doing a good job as a tech. So in the middle of July after 5 months of employment, me and the other 2 employees that stayed on as techs with me, had a meeting with the manager about getting full-time status. He said he couldn`t do it at this time. So I looked for other employment because I wanted job security and full-time.
I interviewed with another company and quit. My previous company called me back 2 days after I quit and offered me full-time,but by then, I didn`t want to go back. I didn`t like the way they cut my pay,took my commssions, and wouldn`t make me full time. So I went to work for the new company,but 2 months later they shut the local office down.
I just don`t see why they would deny me benefits. Like I said , the new company has stated it was a lay-off. It goes back to my previous company and me quitting there. But I had no way of knowing this new company would be closing their doors.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 PM

People quit jobs all the time, take others, get laid off and can collect unemployment.

Either MD is NOT allowing your wages and work history for this last job because you were paid 1099 - which is what you posted on another thread - even though they told you on the phone your wages were reported. If that employer did not pay a UI tax on those wages, MD has decided to disregard them.

OR - you were not at the last job long enough to qualify.

FIND OUT how long you needed to work at this last job to qualify - AND - if they are even considering this last job. Clearly MD is ignoring the job from which you were laid off. The question is - WHY?

You can appeal either on the basis of:

1. You lost your last job through no fault of your own; or
2. You quit the previous job for good cause.

Sifting through the bureaucratic red tape will take patience and persistence. The burden of proof lies on you when you quit.

Get more information on WHY your last job was not considered when you were laid off through no fault of your own.

File an appeal.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM

Thanks Ariadne,

Is there a way I can find out why they are not considering my previous employer or do I do that during the appeal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment