Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,649 times

Advertisements

Hi - I do Voice Over work for a popular website. I am also receiving unemployment payments. I need to have my work records match the Website's when I report my earnings to EDD. So what I am asking is: "If this Website was to report my work dates to the EDD, what date exactly would they consider my work day? Would it be the date a spot(s) was approved, the date on their Purchase Order, or the date of my Invoice? Or would it be the day the payment was issued? The date I recorded the demo? Or none of these?" You can see why I'm confused. And it turns out this issue is very important to the EDD folks, and it's crucial I get this straight ASAP.

My work is considered a "Demo" until approved, then I get sent a Purchase Order by the Website, then I send in an Invoice then I get issued a payment. All in all in could take a month from start to finish.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
You report your earnings at the time the work is performed - not when you receive the money, issue an invoice, or some other such documentation. Even if you NEVER get paid, you report the earnings for the week when you do the work.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Thank you for your response Ariadne22. How can I correctly report earnings when I do not get paid? And then when I do get paid how can I then correctly put down the date which would have been a month earlier?
The company I am doing work for considers what I send them a Demo until they approve it. So, if I report that I worked during the week that I recorded my demo, I won't be able to put any earnings because they hadn't approved of the demo yet. However, once its approved, which can take a couple of weeks, and after I then send an invoice, they then pay me. So when would I report that payment?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenchcraft View Post
Thank you for your response Ariadne22. How can I correctly report earnings when I do not get paid? And then when I do get paid how can I then correctly put down the date which would have been a month earlier?
The company I am doing work for considers what I send them a Demo until they approve it. So, if I report that I worked during the week that I recorded my demo, I won't be able to put any earnings because they hadn't approved of the demo yet. However, once its approved, which can take a couple of weeks, and after I then send an invoice, they then pay me. So when would I report that payment?
You might be able to report the work after it is approved and when you invoice it and possibly still avoid trouble w/EDD (this is a guess). More likely this website is not reporting anything to CA, unless there is some type of universal database into which they report the jobs when they are first assigned. In which case, you need to report the work immediately.

CA UE doesn't care if you never get paid. It is not their department. This from CA:
Quote:
You must report any wages on your claim forms for the week in which you earned the wages, even if you weren’t paid for that work until later. Your gross wages are required (total without the payroll deductions) and the EDD will figure
the amount of wages to deduct from your weekly benefit amount. A total of $25 or 25 percent of those earnings, whichever is higher, is not considered deductible from your benefits. Any wages beyond that will be deducted from your weekly benefit amount and you will be paid the difference, if any.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/pdf/UI_FAQ_Tips.pdf
Send an email to EDD stating exactly what you have posted here. Bullet point your questions so nothing is overlooked. Mention you are doing this work pending approval.

Let us know what they say.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-16-2012 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Once again thanks Ariadne22! The website is located in CA and I had to fill out and submit a 1099, so I am pretty sure they will be reporting to CA.

My only sticking point is that I don't consider making these "Demo's" work because I may not earn anything. I do however want my reporting's to match the "Website's" reporting's so there isn't any confusion and so I don't have to pay back any Over-payments plus penalties.

As of now I have reported all of my earnings with the "Website" but it may not have been on the correct week.

I just emailed the "Website" to see what they would report as my week of earnings.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM

Just talked with someone from this Website and they said that they would consider the date of my earnings to be the date that I sent them my invoice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment