Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 05:02 PM

71 posts, read 249,974 times

Advertisements

I have been reading more and more into the posting below in the PA state website concerning EB. It looks like EB was recently extended to 3/10/12 from 2/4/12. Not asking anyone to test their ability to predict the future, but is it possible again for the governor to extend the date again when 3/10/12 approaches? (or make it retroactive if the extension gets signed beyond 3/10/12)?

I am assuming it is up to the state to determine if they want to switch EB on and off? Do the states still have the power to supercede the 2/17/12 legislation and basically authorize EB extension even if the UE percentage is not met?

Seems the more I read into things the more questions/confusion arise.

News for Immediate Release February 9, 2012
Change in Unemployment Compensation Law Allows Extended Benefits for Claimants to Continue

Harrisburg – Governor Tom Corbett today signed into law Senate Bill 1375, ensuring that federally funded Extended Benefits in Pennsylvania will continue, without interruption, to unemployment compensation claimants through March 10, 2012.

Extended Benefits are additional weeks of unemployment compensation payable to qualified workers when the state’s unemployment rate reaches a certain level.

Extended Benefits are only payable after individuals have exhausted their rights to state-funded benefits and federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation. High Unemployment Period (HUP) Extended Benefits are payable to individuals who have exhausted their regular Extended Benefits.

The newly enacted legislation will allow claimants to receive High Unemployment Period Extended Benefits through Feb. 18, 2012, and regular Extended Benefits through March 10, 2012.

The Department of Labor & Industry’s Center for Workforce Information & Analysis estimates that this law will allow 17,000 claimants to collect $30 million in federally funded Extended Benefits over the five week period from Feb. 5, 2012 through March 10, 2012.

The law goes into effect immediately, and is retroactive. Without this change in the law, claimants could only collect Extended Benefits through Feb. 4, 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleSecondAct View Post
I have been reading more and more into the posting below in the PA state website concerning EB. It looks like EB was recently extended to 3/10/12 from 2/4/12.

PA conformed its state statutes to comply with three-year lookback in federal statutes, in order not to trigger off in January:

See: FAQS #6 and #7:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Not asking anyone to test their ability to predict the future, but is it possible again for the governor to extend the date again when 3/10/12 approaches? (or make it retroactive if the extension gets signed beyond 3/10/12)?

No. Governor can do nothing further. PA statutes already track federal regs going forward.

Federal regs now determine when PA triggers off EB - projected to be June 9 per NELP:
http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_...h_full_600.jpg

Based on how rapidly PA's lookback trigger is declining, I suspect they may trigger off in May, possibly April. BLS makes the final determination and announces. BLS next announces March 3, then March 30.

Current Trigger Report:

Trigger Notice Report

I am assuming it is up to the state to determine if they want to switch EB on and off?

Only if state wants to pay State Extended Benefits 100% of out its own coffers. No state will do this anymore. Further, they won't even pay 50% of the EB w/federal govt paying 50% which had been the previous practice before the economic collapse. In that event, it would need to comply with federal UE triggers.

Triggers on EB are determined by federal government, not the state. Currently 6% EB; 8% High EB.

See: FAQS #2:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Do the states still have the power to supercede the 2/17/12 legislation and basically authorize EB extension even if the UE percentage is not met?

No. Not if they want 100% federally funded EB.

Seems the more I read into things the more questions/confusion arise.
Suggested reading:

All posts and links in FAQS thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ment-faqs.html

Then read:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ts-ending.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-28-2012 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment