Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 65,208 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I live in New Jersey and had to go on unemployment in December, I know I start out with the typical 26 weeks and I got the max benefit. So it is going until mid June

Here is my questions...

1- After mid June if I am not back at work do I have to do anything special to get an extension or is it just granted? A few friends I have say it was just given but I need to be sure since I live or do with my bills right now with getting unemployment.

2- One of my friends said he got his extension but it was only for 20 weeks. New Jersey currently has extensions up to 99 weeks. Why was he given only 20 weeks instead of another 26 and could this happen to me?

3- Will my extensions give me the same rate I am getting now?

4- Can someone explain this new bill Obama signed with something about it going down to 73 weeks and something taken effect at the end of the year?

Sorry for all the questions but when I read stuff and it mentions tiers and this and that I honestly have no idea what anyone is talking about. Trying to prepare myself moving forward having a mortgage and 2 car payments.

Thanks for your time and any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Go read the FAQS here http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ment-faqs.html. Pay particular attention to the last post; it has the most current data applicable to the February legislation.

Tier I is 20 weeks.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabruno View Post
I live in New Jersey and had to go on unemployment in December, I know I start out with the typical 26 weeks and I got the max benefit. So it is going until mid June

Here is my questions...

1- After mid June if I am not back at work do I have to do anything special to get an extension or is it just granted?

2- One of my friends said he got his extension but it was only for 20 weeks. New Jersey currently has extensions up to 99 weeks. Why was he given only 20 weeks instead of another 26 and could this happen to me?

3- Will my extensions give me the same rate I am getting now?
NJ will automatically transition you to Tier 1 for 20 weeks in June. Your weekly benefit rate remains the same throughout your claim.

Remaining benefits for you in NJ under new legislation passed 2/17/12 are:

Now:
20 weeks EUC Tier I

Beginning September:
14 weeks EUC Tier II (6% trigger as of 5/27)
09 weeks EUC Tier III (7% trigger as of 5/27)
10 weeks EUC Tier IV (9% trigger as of 5/27)

You will be able to collect Tier 1 and part of Tier II until 12/29 (assuming NJ's UE rate stays at or above 6%).

In short, you are covered through the end of the year, at which time Congress needs to extend the legislation.

As myrco suggested, read FAQS - all the posts. You'll get the picture. 99 weeks for new claimants is gone. In your case, without further Congressional extension, you get a little over 52 weeks from the time you claimed.

Last edited by JMT; 03-20-2012 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Thanks I read the fax but just so I understand this.

In Mid June I will be converted to Tier 1 (Same benefit amount paid) for 20 weeks. That will take me until roughly mid October. Then I will be given Tier 2 for the remainder of the year?

After that unemployment is over unless extended by the government?

One thing I am not grasping right now....

What does the 6% trigger mean? Seem to not understand that part.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:41 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
In Mid June I will be converted to Tier 1 (Same benefit amount paid) for 20 weeks. That will take me until roughly mid October. Then I will be given Tier 2 for the remainder of the year? After that unemployment is over unless extended by the government?
Yes to all.
Quote:
What does the 6% trigger mean? Seem to not understand that part.
Effective May 27, states need to meet certain 3-month unemployment rate criteria (triggers) in order to continue paying Tier II. In other words, NJ must have a 3-month average UE rate not lower than 6% at the time you are accessing Tier II. Given its 9% UE rate right now, it is unlikely that NJ will trigger off Tier II before 12/29.

Quote:
Triggers are based on the rolling 3-month average unemployment rate, recalculated monthly, per figures reported by the BLS the third Friday of every month. Eligibility to advance to the next Tier and EB payments (depending on state) can end within three weeks of the BLS report.

BLS Trigger Report links here (EUC/EB):

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-20-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment