Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:13 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,937,026 times

Advertisements

A few years ago employers hadn't hired anyone since the good times, and couldn't understand why anyone could spend over a year looking for a job. Lately there are so many such candidates you don't get that question as much. Getting additional education may help. I don't know if getting a menial job looks any better than having none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,163,939 times
They want to know how long you have been out of work, and seeking and/or sitting on your butt taking your time ... if you're unemployed too long, the next question will be how have you been spending your free time ? lol

Throw a little of your soft heart in there, tell them you've been doing some volunteer work with local organizations. I have always done volunteer work, and enjoy talking about it. I see people light up and show fascination when you talk about this- not sure why ... I actually had one person say to me, "why would you do that, you don't get paid for it". LMAO !!! Idiot- that's why they call it, "volunteer work".

Old 04-21-2012, 08:38 PM

428 posts, read 901,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
They want to know how long you have been out of work, and seeking and/or sitting on your butt taking your time ... if you're unemployed too long, the next question will be how have you been spending your free time ? lol

Throw a little of your soft heart in there, tell them you've been doing some volunteer work with local organizations. I have always done volunteer work, and enjoy talking about it. I see people light up and show fascination when you talk about this- not sure why ... I actually had one person say to me, "why would you do that, you don't get paid for it". LMAO !!! Idiot- that's why they call it, "volunteer work".

Cause your tired of the looking at the walls of your house and want to do something different that look for work.... That would be my sarcastic answer...

Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,912,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I guess MILLIONS are SOL then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
...That's what is so reassuring about the life of a working person. You have absolute control over how long you are unemployed. That is why the unemployment system is modeled based on the absolute control that all working people have over maximun number of days that they will be unemployed.

...Which, really takes the stress out of job loss -the absoluteness of the duration of unemployment...which, incidentally, is always the absolute fault of the person losing the job.
Oh gawd.......

Who do you think is most likely to be hired? Someone who just collected unemployment checks and simply looked for a job? Or someone who volunteered at a shelter, took courses, worked odd jobs, or did something else productive with their extra free time?

Can you answer that one for me since the two of you are apparently so much smarter than everyone else here?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 AM

841 posts, read 1,919,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A few years ago employers hadn't hired anyone since the good times, and couldn't understand why anyone could spend over a year looking for a job. Lately there are so many such candidates you don't get that question as much. Getting additional education may help. I don't know if getting a menial job looks any better than having none.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM

You can be unemployed yet doing things all day, working on classes, goals, programs, volunteering.

I didn't say I knew better than others. I just said lots of people in the boat of being long term unemployed and everyone is assuming they will never work again.

Just because you don't have a job doesn't mean you are sitting home playing X-box and drinking beer.

I guess I better add handy man or consultant to my resume since it looks so much better than stay home parent.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
You can be unemployed yet doing things all day, working on classes, goals, programs, volunteering.

I didn't say I knew better than others. I just said lots of people in the boat of being long term unemployed and everyone is assuming they will never work again.

Just because you don't have a job doesn't mean you are sitting home playing X-box and drinking beer.

I guess I better add handy man or consultant to my resume since it looks so much better than stay home parent.
Who said that? When did I say that? Stay at home parent is a job in and of itself.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,640,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Who said that? When did I say that? Stay at home parent is a job in and of itself.
And yet some employers won't see it that way.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 PM

If you listened to everyone with advice, well meaning or not, you'd never get out of bed unless you had a spotless record, no employment gaps, never got fired and so forth.

Each case/interview is different. Some employers DO pay well, some will be decent to you, some will not ask asinine questions or throw it over to HR psycho-babble in an interview.

Some will be actually cruel or stupid during interviews, some will ask you very dumb questions, illegal questions, and so on.

I believe in being prepared. Know yourself and your skills. Be confident but also realize you can't please every person at ever interview.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM

Well let me give you all a little example of what I was talking about. When I just started out in the workforce, I got a job and lost it. Then, I had to take time off from working at all for a legit reason. Rather than trying to explain my reasoning for taking so much time off, I filled up that gap with a farmhand position on a farm that my family owns. That way I wouldn't have to say that I was unemplohyed even though technicaly I was. Anything to fill the gap. Sell avon if you have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment