Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,089 times

Advertisements

First time I have seen this on a online app so far "Have you ever been fired, laid off, asked to resign or otherwise involuntarily asked to leave a job?" - do you think they are trying to weed people out? Even though it says in parenthesis after that: "(Please note that a yes answer does not necessarily rule out potential employment.)" If it doesn't matter, than why are they asking?

I fill out tons of online apps and normally they ask to explain any unemployment gaps but this ...this is a new thing maybe. The job is at a hosptial. I was laided off because of outsourcing - not because of me.

So, I think they are trying to weed people out? the computer program will flag any apps that have a yes answer for this question. I just know it. I will be totally shocked if not. I hate the new world order for jobs. ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
Yes, that is the goal - to weed out the unemployed.

This is more "no unemployed need apply," which is just another form of discrimination - an idiotic one at that since people out of work will accept less pay and can start their new jobs immediately vs. people currently employed.

If they only asked about being fired, I could see that - they might not want troublemakers. But lumping the fired people together with the laid-off people is *exactly* the sick mindset that is preventing people who are out of work from finding a job. The belief today is that if you're unemployed you "deserve it."

So, apply anyway, but don't expect to hear back from them if you're out of work.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Well, I just finished the app - as you know they take about a whole day to fill out - and what comes up??? Stupid freaking "pre-employment assessment" test which of course they SAY does not affect your app and has no right or wrong - who are they trying to kid? Even if you answer all the questions the way you know they are wanting you to answer.

I finished anyway because what have I got to lose right - except time and neck strain.

I notice that hosptials are worst for the unemployment discrimination - they always ask "sneaky" questions - anytime I get a "Pre-assessment test" it is when I apply at the hospital - and the job is in an office environment - not working with patients. I miss the old days when there were no tests like this - you met with a real person and talked about your skills. It is like a losing battle.,

Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM

I know how you feel. It is insane these days, and the reality is that there simply aren't enough jobs and the sociopaths in charge are focusing on giving the remaining jobs to their buddies, not to the people who need them.

My first job was at a hardware store back in high school. I called them, set up an interview time, went there for the interview, and that was it. They checked my background to make sure I was who I claimed, but that was about it. No 100-question test to weed out people with free will, no multiple levels of on-site interviews... nope, it was simple and I got the job.

Even my early professional jobs were like this. I've had more BS interviews for "jobs" that amount to nothing - nobody gets hired - than I had for jobs that actually amounted to real employment. What a joke...

Anyway, good luck!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
I would answer that Q "no." They may never check. And, if they do, who cares? They have no right to ask it, anyway, in the manner they do. Being let go for malfeasance, criminal activities is one thing - not when the job was outsourced or the business is having financial problems. Write your Congressional Representatives and Senators. It's a discriminatory question even though, for now, the "unemployed" do not fall under a protected class. Clearly, they should.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanks!

I swear I almost fall asleep through those things - 25 minutes long! Why? I don't get it. As far as I am concerned, it takes ALL kinds of people to make a company or business work - not one sort - so why are they trying to screen you out on those "personality" tests? There are good and bad to ALL types. And this was a dinky office job - geez! Which I probably won't get because I am over quaified.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I would answer that Q "no." They may never check. And, if they do, who cares? They have no right to ask it, anyway, in the manner they do. Being let go for malfeasance, criminal activities is one thing - not when the job was outsourced or the business is having financial problems. Write your Congressional Representatives and Senators. It's a discriminatory question even though, for now, the "unemployed" do not fall under a protected class. Clearly, they should.

Thanks Ariadne! So, You don't think they are trying to weed people out? My first thought was that they do it so the computer can flag those who answer yes - because, lord know, we can't have any "Imperfect" people working nowadays. You have to be a "unicorn" (mythical and perfect). If they don't ever check on it, and don't intend too - than why do they ask? Esp. if it really is illegal?

There was one of those questionairres at the end which I normally answer (you know are you Hispanic, blahblah) because I feel they aren't a big deal. But this one asked for my birthdate! GRRR!!! I "Declined* - I put in my month and day and left the year blank because THAT is discrimination - I am suprised that a well-known local hosptial would do that.

Well, that was a waste of about two hours. I notice I get more responses when I apply for jobs at smaller places which I think I am going to focus more on instead. No hour long app, no personality assessment, no asking my birthdate - next they will want my blood type and eye color. (because you know they hire people based on hair do's now lol!)

Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I know how you feel. It is insane these days, and the reality is that there simply aren't enough jobs and the sociopaths in charge are focusing on giving the remaining jobs to their buddies, not to the people who need them.

My first job was at a hardware store back in high school. I called them, set up an interview time, went there for the interview, and that was it. They checked my background to make sure I was who I claimed, but that was about it. No 100-question test to weed out people with free will, no multiple levels of on-site interviews... nope, it was simple and I got the job.

Even my early professional jobs were like this. I've had more BS interviews for "jobs" that amount to nothing - nobody gets hired - than I had for jobs that actually amounted to real employment. What a joke...

Anyway, good luck!
Speaking of which, I read an article the other day talking about how badly the computer screens the applications - For one job for an engineer, 25,000 people applied and guess how many were quaified NONE! Really? I find that hard to believe - There had to be ONE qualified person out of that number at least and probably lots more but the computers flag TOO much now. And the people who write these programs (I am a programmer or was) don't do it correctly. This is called LAZY - the HR people don't want to do any work. I understand there are lots of apps and resumes to go through now but hey, hire an intern who wants some experience to help out. I am sure there will be lots of business grads who want some experience! Ok, that is my rant! lol!

Oh here is the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...mber_120285514

Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post
So, You don't think they are trying to weed people out? If they don't ever check on it, and don't intend too - than why do they ask? Esp. if it really is illegal?
Didn't say they weren't trying to weed people out. Of course, they are. They ask because the computer will flag the app, making it one less application they have to look at.

I didn't say it was illegal, either. It isn't - yet. It is my personal belief they have no right to be asking a discriminatory question. That is an unprofessional question in its wording which does not deserve to be answered, at all. I would not answer that question, or I would automatically always answer that question with a "No." Stupid questions do not deserve the dignity of an honest reply.

That is why you should write your state and federal representatives about this "discriminatory" practice. The unemployed should NOT be discriminated against.

At present, there is no law against it.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post
Speaking of which, I read an article the other day talking about how badly the computer screens the applications - For one job for an engineer, 25,000 people applied and guess how many were quaified NONE! Really? I find that hard to believe - There had to be ONE qualified person out of that number at least and probably lots more but the computers flag TOO much now. And the people who write these programs (I am a programmer or was) don't do it correctly. This is called LAZY - the HR people don't want to do any work. I understand there are lots of apps and resumes to go through now but hey, hire an intern who wants some experience to help out. I am sure there will be lots of business grads who want some experience! Ok, that is my rant! lol!

Oh here is the article: Software Screening Rejects Job Seekers - WSJ.com

As an engineer, that does not surprise me at all. I've seen plenty of job requirements that are written so narrowly that the only people who could qualify are those who already work for the company. They'll demand everything: 3 to 5 years experience in a pile of narrow fields of engineering, years of experience in specific CAD tools and company proprietary software... and then they also filter out the unemployed, people who live outside the area, the "old" people (30+ in many cases) and so on.

It's insane - and then the corporations have the nerve to complain that they "can't find qualified workers" - which is just an excuse to overshore more jobs or bring in more poorly paid visa workers. Anything to deny paying Americans a living wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment