Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,111 times

Advertisements

How can one claim unemployment if the employer is flat broke with no money coming in, can't pay employees, bills, or their unemployment insurance, and won't lay you off. What does one do? Keep going out in hope of getting paid or stop going out and wait for the company to go bankrupt and file a claim in court.

One employee hasn't been out in weeks and just lost their house. My father and I are next. I've been working mostly part time lately but my father full time and is also a shareholder. No one is really left besides the board of directors. Are we all out of luck? What can we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf21 View Post
How can one claim unemployment if the employer is flat broke with no money coming in, can't pay employees, bills, or their unemployment insurance, and won't lay you off. What does one do? Keep going out in hope of getting paid or stop going out and wait for the company to go bankrupt and file a claim in court.

One employee hasn't been out in weeks and just lost their house. My father and I are next. I've been working mostly part time lately but my father full time and is also a shareholder. No one is really left besides the board of directors. Are we all out of luck? What can we do.

Contact the DOL. If they paid unemployment insurance in the past, and you are declared eligible which I'd bet on, you can collect.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Your father, as a shareholder (possible part-owner), will have a problem collecting UI.

That said, not getting paid is grounds for a quit.

You should file for unemployment.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
While not getting paid is a good cause quit, some states have the most ridiculous requirement that you have to try to adjust your grievance before quitting. That process can include complaining to the employer and failing that filing a wage claim with the department of labor. Also, some states think that it takes more than one missed paycheck before a good cause quit can be established. These rules could easily leave a claimant out 3 weeks UI benefits and 4 weeks of missed pay because when you're working even when you're not getting paid you're not unemployed.

These are AZ's rules on the topic:

C. Failure or refusal to pay (V L 500.3)
1. A claimant would have good cause for quitting if the facts clearly establish that his employer willfully refused to pay him wages that were actually due, provided that he first made a reasonable attempt to adjust his grievance.
2. A worker has the right to receive his wage in the proper amount and when due. It would be unreasonable to expect him to continue working unless he is reasonably certain of being paid for his services. Thus a claimant would leave with good cause connected with his work; when:
a. The employer is repeatedly late paying his wages;
b. The claimant is repeatedly paid with checks drawn on insufficient funds even if restitution is made.
3. Isolated instances of late payment of wages, or payment of wages with a bad check when prompt restitution is made will not establish good cause for leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment