Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 37,700 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to report back that my unemployment claim was accepted and I am eligible. The only downside is they ignored my most recent quarter earnings as expected because that was the quarter I made the most money at the new position I was accepted to and then laid off from. Oh well... now the job search begins!

TY everyone for your advice and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,667,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsmithson78 View Post
Just wanted to report back that my unemployment claim was accepted and I am eligible. The only downside is they ignored my most recent quarter earnings as expected because that was the quarter I made the most money at the new position I was accepted to and then laid off from. Oh well... now the job search begins!
PA ignored that quarter because it didn't fall within the only base-year period method available in PA, not because it was the position which laid you off or the quarter in which you made the most money.

PA's one and only base-period method of qualifying ignores the earnings from the quarter in which you file and the quarter preceding that. PA does not have the ability to apply an alternate base period method which might have allowed that quarter. Even if it had, ABPs in most states (NY is one exception - it allows claimant to request the most advantageous method) are only used when you don't qualify under the regular base-period. As a general rule, claimants cannot choose which quarters of earnings are used to determine benefits - unless you intentionally choose to file in another quarter to capture earnings which would not otherwise be included.

Glad to hear so far you're on track for benefits. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-09-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 193 times
I'm having a similar situation where I worked in New Jersey a place for 2 years and left you go to a job in Pennsylvania and I was there for 26 weeks and got laid off and Pennsylvania is denying me unemployment because I don't know how but saying I didn't make enough money and New Jersey is saying I would have to get another job in New Jersey and be there at least 6 weeks

Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,202,926 times
NJ is lying to you. You just needed to get a new job anywhere, and work 8 weeks and earn 10 times your weekly benefit amount.

You're lucky that PA denied you.

Did you actually apply in NJ? Did you get a letter with a determination, or was this all verbal? If verbal, file the claim in NJ, and IF a denial comes because they don't think you worked 8 and 10, you submit your PA paystubs showing you did by following the appeal instructions. Chances are you'll get a phone interview on the separation and you can do it then and skip the appeal. Lack of earnings are easily resolved IF you have pay stubs or a cooperating LAST employer (the PA job).

If you have a rough patch in employment and exhaust your NJ claim, then you can apply in PA because those wages will have aged into the base period by then.

Had you gotten the PA claim, you'd have really shorted your UI. You need to get help with this stuff before you race out and file. You're in a position now to collect 52 weeks straight of UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment